Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Bernard Hinault did the event last year and immediately after it said he would come back for this years event.

Online registration is closing on Friday 17th May for this years event. That is only way to guarantee yourself an event gilet as part of your event registration.

SKODA are organising a Friday night sign on station in Galway so you can sign on and collect your event pack for the event on Friday evening in Galway at the SKODA garage on Tuam road or else in Clifden, the night before the event

The third option is the morning of the event in Clifden at the Station House Hotel where the event starts and finishes.

If you sign up by Sunday you can win a signed Martyn Irvine Irish jersey, Ireland's World Cycling Champion. Www.tourdeconamara.com

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

midlands1 wrote: »
    Is there a discount for registering early. €40 seems a lot in these economically depressed times.

I don't think there's a discount but I think this is a little more expensive because you get the gilet and a good few other things at sign on.
    I left last year with more than I went there with.

It helped that I brought a spare bag for all the cakes at the food stops :P I know it seems a lot, but it's a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've signed up for this, looking fwd to it. Haven't been on a bike since the start of Dec last year so will need a couple of wee spins before then.

Nicolas Roche Performance Team just signed up to do the 140km cycle. Raleigh pro team sending over a couple of their pro team members, add that in with Bernard Hinault, its some cocktail of cycling talent.. not to mention the 1500 cyclists taking part in the 140km and 80km events.

Two weeks left before registration closes on www.tourdeconamara.com

Already 25 teams signed up for team trial event the following day 26th. Entries already in from cycling clubs, companies, tri teams, charities. Online Registration for the team time trial closes on Thursday 23rd. All entry fees donated to Cancer Care West. Family Funathlon kicks off at 1.30pm in Carna with 8km round trip cycle and beach walk with refreshments for children followed by entertainment show.

• Advertisement

Closing date for online registration for the SKODA Tour de Conamara is now Sunday 19th May. www.tourdeconamara.com

If individuals are interested in taking part in the Team event on the following day after the Sportive we are matching up people so contact us through Facebook www.facebook.com/tourdeconamara - its a fundraiser for Cancer Care West and already have 30 teams lining up. Family Funathlon takes place also in Carna that day.

SKODA will be announcing an exciting pre Tour de Conamara event on Friday evening 23rd in Galway open to registered participants. You can sign on at that event also and collect your gilets and event numbers.

Online registration closes tonight and last chance to ensure you get a gilet. www.tourdeconamara.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Nicolas Roche Performance Team just signed up to do the 140km cycle.

Ah jaysus, not the Juniors!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

Anyone in the Galway area fancy giving me a ride up on Friday? Staying at 'All the Twos' just outside of Clifden and don't particularly feel like riding the 60 miles there on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Me and two mates are coming down from Donegal to do the 140k.

I can't wait for it, maybe a wee pint on Friday night to soak up the atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Drving from Dublin city centre on Friday afternoon on my own if anyone wants a lift. May also have a spare bed in the room*

* But I'l lwait until we get to know one another before I offer it.

anyone coming from dublin is more than welcome to the lift.

will be gone early doors on Sunday though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hopefully weather will be good. It was cracking last year.
    Have to move down to the 80k as my hip is fubar and a 4 week old at home is ruining my sleeps :D

Will be in my 1LifeCycle yellow jersey if anyone wants to say hello or slap me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Rita1 wrote: »
    Me and two mates are coming down from Donegal to do the 140k.

I can't wait for it, maybe a wee pint on Friday night to soak up the atmosphere

I hope you realise it's going to be slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

yop wrote: »
    Hopefully weather will be good. It was cracking last year.

Saturday 25/05/2013 01:00–07:0004.png7°0.2 mmvindpil.0025.345.pngLight breeze, 4 m/s from north-northwest 07:00–13:0004.png10°0.3 mmvindpil.0050.335.pngModerate breeze, 6 m/s from north-northwest 13:00–19:0004.png13°0 mmvindpil.0075.340.pngModerate breeze, 7 m/s from north-northwest 19:00–01:0004.png12°0 mmvindpil.0075.330.pngModerate breeze, 7 m/s from north-northwest

Rather average.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

talkabout wrote: »
    I hope you realise it's going to be slow

The 140k is slow? Did it last year with the front group and about 10 out of the club and it wasn't that slow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

mcallaghan wrote: »
    Anyone in the Galway area fancy giving me a ride up on Friday? Staying at 'All the Twos' just outside of Clifden and don't particularly feel like riding the 60 miles there on my own.

Staying in Barna Friday night and driving to Clifden early Saturday. You're welcome to a lift if you don't get a Friday night offer.

Thinking I may just get a bus in Loughrea on Friday - go to Galway then get on a bus to Clifden from there. Probably just take a bus to Galway on Sunday and ride the 22-odd miles home from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

First cycling sportive for me. Signed up for the 140km trip. I won't be going too quick. I'm a runner first and foremost but achilles trouble is keeping me off the pavements so I'm fairly new to spending hours on a bike and have been upping the times/distances over the last few weeks. Completed 120km on Saturday in 5 hours, so probably another hour or so for the full thing on Saturday.

How do the food/fuel stops work? Is the food/drinks inside or under tents etc?

Looking forward to the weekend now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Some information here on the fuel stops, the one in Maam is in the community centre but not sure of the other 2...

http://www.tourdeconamara.com/event-faq/
    First cycling sportive for me. Signed up for the 140km trip. I won't be going too quick. I'm a runner first and foremost but achilles trouble is keeping me off the pavements so I'm fairly new to spending hours on a bike and have been upping the times/distances over the last few weeks. Completed 120km on Saturday in 5 hours, so probably another hour or so for the full thing on Saturday.

Buns, cakes, sandwiches! :D Thats all you need to know and lashings of energy drink :D

Its a CLASS event, tough, but great fun. Massive buzz.

• Advertisement

for the food stops on the 140km it is indoors at Carna and Maam community hall. The PowerBar refuel stop is outdoors with PowerBar providing energy drinks, gels bars etc.

the 80km stop is at the Cashel Community Hall

Sandwiches, cakes, fruit and tea/ coffee

With regards to the food/fuels stops, does anyone have any info on what distance to stops are at?

for example:
    The feed stations for the 140km route are located at
    1. Carna Community Centre =
    2. Maam Valley Community Centre =
    3. PowerBar refuel station at Kylemore Abbey =
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Rita1 wrote: »
    With regards to the food/fuels stops, does anyone have any info on what distance to stops are at?

for example:
    The feed stations for the 140km route are located at
    1. Carna Community Centre =
    2. Maam Valley Community Centre =
    3. PowerBar refuel station at Kylemore Abbey =
    Thanks

Looking at the map, Carna is at about 50km, Maam 90km and Kylemore roughly 120km.

Looking forward to this, if the weather is anyway decent it should be a great day out.

nilhg wrote: »
    Looking at the map, Carna is at about 50km, Maam 90km and Kylemore roughly 120km.

Looking forward to this, if the weather is anyway decent it should be a great day out.

Cheers for the quick response nilhg......should be a great day out.(weather promitting)

I'm signed up for the 80KM route. Looking forward to just being able to cycle with nothing but my handlebar bag (aka No more Panniers!) which should make things quite enjoyable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Any beaches nearby for a swim(ice bath) on Saturday after 140?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Any beaches nearby for a swim(ice bath) on Saturday after 140?

LoL it's Connemara what do yo think

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

LoL it's Connemara what do yo think

I dont know what to think... hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I dont know what to think... hence the question.

Well you are very welcome to the weeeest and Clifden is a seaside town

• Advertisement

Well "Beach Road" is only a km away ;)

Advertisement