Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

yop wrote: »
    Buns, cakes, sandwiches! :D Thats all you need to know and lashings of energy drink :D

Its a CLASS event, tough, but great fun. Massive buzz.

Signed up for the 140km with Rita1 and starting to worry it might be too much for me, how tough is the event. Strava seemed to indicate that it wasn't too hilly. I'm hoping to just take an easy pace and complete the cycle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

talkabout wrote: »
    Signed up for the 140km with Rita1 and starting to worry it might be too much for me, how tough is the event. Strava seemed to indicate that it wasn't too hilly. I'm hoping to just take an easy pace and complete the cycle.

There is a dirty drag from Maam cross to the 90km food stop, I was out for about 4 months last year and had maybe 2 or 300 kms doing prep for this so I suffered no end. But others seemed to be sound.
    I would't worry about it, if you have good spins done you will be grand. I was only been a wuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

There is a dirty drag from Maam cross to the 90km food stop, I was out for about 4 months last year and had maybe 2 or 300 kms doing prep for this so I suffered no end. But others seemed to be sound.
    I would't worry about it, if you have good spins done you will be grand. I was only been a wuss!

Cheers Yop,

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully, the weather will be fine and with a tow from Rita1 I’ll be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

talkabout wrote: »
    Cheers Yop,

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully, the weather will be fine and with a tow from Rita1 I’ll be ok [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Stop being a pansy, you'll be grand......few pints the night before should keep us hydrated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pre cycle pints!

Where do I sign up?

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Pre cycle pints!

Where do I sign up?

Its the Alcock and Bull for us( I think we are staying there), I hear its very important for motivation the these pints, we should be there from 10pm :D

Everyone welcome !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've signed up for this but lack of prep and distance to get there (600 mile round trip!) has me reconsidering. Very much two minds at the minute, I'll have to flip a coin on Fri morning :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foyler

I hope the wind speed and direction changes for you folks before Saturday, I was out today for a while and there was a bitchin prevailing on shore wind which is the exact opposite of last year where there was a tail wind for the second half.

Talkabout - No real hills to speak of, couple of drags as mentioned the worst likely to be from Leenane to the top of K2 if the aforementioned wind stays the same as its very exposed and towards the end when the legs will be cramping.
    Likewise from Letterfrack to the top of Crochnaraw again just a drag with a ramp at the end.

Try and get into a decent sized group after the food stop in Maam as you'll be turning fully into the prevailing wind after that and the surrounding mountains can have a nasty funneling effect on any wind.

Enjoy it

Foyler wrote: »
    I hope the wind speed and direction changes for you folks before Saturday, I was out today for a while and there was a bitchin prevailing on shore wind which is the exact opposite of last year where there was a tail wind for the second half.

Talkabout - No real hills to speak of, couple of drags as mentioned the worst likely to be from Leenane to the top of K2 if the aforementioned wind stays the same as its very exposed and towards the end when the legs will be cramping.
    Likewise from Letterfrack to the top of Crochnaraw again just a drag with a ramp at the end.

Try and get into a decent sized group after the food stop in Maam as you'll be turning fully into the prevailing wind after that and the surrounding mountains can have a nasty funneling effect on any wind.

Enjoy it

That's great advise Foyler, cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Anyone know where I can pull up a small camper handy in Clifden?
    I assume there is a area put aside similar to other events for participants to park up in?

Thanks Folks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The wind is painful, was out around 6 this morning and it was in my face the whole way home. Should have gone the other way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Wind's supposed to die down according to a friend from the weather forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

To avoid the start mayhem we are taking off 15 mins early ! meeting up at the enterance to The Station Hotel square about 9am and starting at about 9:15.

I will be driving the bus and anyone wants can muck in with us ! Unlike the usual professional divas we deffo dont bite and wont leave anybody thats struggling.

Connemara is no place to be on your own

To avoid the start mayhem we are taking off 15 mins early ! meeting up at the enterance to The Station Hotel square about 9am and starting at about 9:15.

I will be driving the bus and anyone wants can muck in with us ! Unlike the usual professional divas we deffo dont bite and wont leave anybody thats struggling.

Connemara is no place to be on your own

Who?

Why not just go to the back of the group and take your time and that will ensure all those who don't want to be caught up in the rush are together.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Who?

Why not just go to the back of the group and take your time and that will ensure all those who don't want to be caught up in the rush are together.

Sound's like a more reasonable idea

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

I'll be doing the 80KM jaunt on my Touring Bike - will be hard to miss (and probably the only American). I'll probably be going relatively slowly compared to everyone on the road bikes, but I do plan on trying to tag-a-long with a group of riders for the protection from the wind! Heading up to Clifden tomorrow and will probably run into some of you guys while up there this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ratracer

http://m.met.ie/forecast-regional.aspx?region=Connacht

Tomorrows weather is looking ok. At least the wind is changing around from north to SW :)

ratracer wrote: »
    http://m.met.ie/forecast-regional.aspx?region=Connacht

Tomorrows weather is looking ok. At least the wind is changing around from north to SW :)

It will be blowing the arse off us :) Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 danieljelly7

Anybody driving back to Dublin on Sunday that might have room for a Kerryman who will be probably more than worse for wear after the cycle and hopefully a good night out in Galway! I would greatly appreciate it and obviously splitting petrol money. tks

Please drop me a PM

Anybody driving back to Dublin on Sunday that might have room for a Kerryman who will be probably more than worse for wear after the cycle and hopefully a good night out in Galway! my number is. would greatly appreciate it and obviously splitting petrol money. tks

Daniel, probably best to remove your number there and ask them to PM you.

LOL Probably better if it wasn't quoted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

It will be blowing the arse off us :) Happy days
    Four degrees tomorrow morning. And I am going to camp in a tent.

Be grand...

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Connemara/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Seweryn wrote: »
    Four degrees tomorrow morning. And I am going to camp in a tent.

Be grand...

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Connemara/

Erm, that wind seems to be turning during the day to give a never-ending headwind. Let the good time roll!

255261.png

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

Made it to Clifden via bus. Talked to another fella on the bus who will be riding tomorrow. Weather right now is nice and sunny - hopefully it holds up the same for tomorrow!

Going to go sign in promptly at 7:30 at the Station House location then wander around to find a decent place for some food. Lots of other cyclists all over the place - trying to be a bit more social tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just arrived in the hotel, like a different country over here compared to when we left, hopefully it'll hold up for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Registered in the skoda garage, gilet and jersey picked up, energy gel for drive, now to leave Galway and hit road to clifden! Good crowd about! Should be a cracker of a day tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Should be a crackin day alright. Did this for past two years and weather will really make it tomorrow.
    Theres no mountains to worry about, but final 30k back through letterfrack canbe tiring and there's always a coastal breeze.. hope they've plenty water this year.

Go easy on the pints in clifden ...nettle tea is the secret potion of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Signed up earlier today in galway. Done the 80km last year and the weather was a scorcher!!!

Hope there is plenty of water this year!!!
    Enjoy all, it beat all the other cycles I done last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ratracer

The gilets are obviously built for kids. I'm normally a large size in most of my kit, but had to get a 2XL one of these. I feel like a fat bolo* before i even leave sign on...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

hope the weather sticks for tomorrow... its a lovely evening but met.ie is saying now possibly drizzle and rain. looking forward to it now. enjoy everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ratracer wrote: »
    The gilets are obviously built for kids. I'm normally a large size in most of my kit, but had to get a 2XL one of these. I feel like a fat bolo* before i even leave sign on...:eek:

I'll not mention that the medium is too big for me so and that the small which wasn't available probably would've been perfect as I normally take small :p

Advertisement