Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2013

Options
  • 25-02-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Anyone signed up for this? Website here - http://www.tourdeconamara.com/

I'll have finished my tour by then and it looks like a days ride from where I'll be, so am considering the 80km Route.

A little hesitant though as my flight back to the US is on the 28th - can a bikeshop pack a bike up for me in a day? Usually ask for a few days...I guess I'll have to ask around. I'd have to ride back to Athnery area on the 26th, maybe get lucky and get the bike in the shop late that evening?

Would be fun - sounds like it could be pretty fun to do as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'd love to, the TTT would be great craic:pac:. But unfortunately it's too close to my exams.
    Did anyone go last year? Seems like its one of the more expensive sportives and was just wondering if this reflected on the organisation of the event
    EDIT: Ah you do get a cycling gilet along with the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I did it last year, on the one day of summer that we had in 2012. It was a really good day, albeit that the sun helped make the scenery that much better.

Still though it was one of the better organised sportives last year as long as you made sure to keep filling your bottles at every station because it was so warm.

Already signed up so I win my signed OPQS Jersey :P I'll sign a gilet in return to be nice!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did last year, was incredible weather. Suffered like hell after 100k due to lack of training and the hills :D

Organisation was good, except for maybe at 2 points on the course. If you had the suitcase you could have been feed for a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

I'm probably going to do the 80KM variant. Talking to a bike shop about packing my bike up in less then a day so I can make my flight on the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

For entry you have 3 food stops on the 140km route and 2 stops on the 80km. Price is in same ballpark as most summer sportives and you also get a gilet so not a bad day out. Plus mark 100 years of the Tour de France with Tour de Conamara guest of honour Bernard Hinault

• Advertisement

ŠKODA Ireland revealed as title sponsor for Tour de Conamara
    Five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault and rugby legend Keith Wood are among the international sports stars lining up for the 2013 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara (www.tourdeconamara.com), details of which were announced today by ŠKODA. The cycling sportive event is an event for all abilities and takes place on Saturday 25th May. It is part of a weekend of cycling activity that will see the Connemara area host Ireland’s first sportive team time trial in Carna on Sunday 26th May. The weekend is rounded off with a Family Funathlon in Carna on Sunday afternoon that will include cycling, walking and family entertainment. The Newstalk Team Time Trial event and Family Funathlon are fundraiser events for Cancer Care West.

The team time trial is geared to give all standards a chance to take part in a new event over 40km on the Sunday morning. Min of 3 on team and max of 5 with 3 times to count. Great prizes for all categories.

Two Good Reasons to Register Before March 31st
    1. Guarantee yourself an event gilet (approx 250 gilet slots left)
    2. All registrations in before 31st March are entered into draw for a signed team jersey from Omega Pharma Quick Step including Mark Cavendish and Tom Boonen, thanks to Alimaysports.com. Jersey will be presented to winner by Bernard Hinault on the morning of the sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

May God strike me down if I can't beat Keith Wood up a hill.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

One week left to register and guarantee yourself an event gilet for this years SKODA Tour de Conamara. All registrations received by Sunday April 14th are also entered into a draw for a signed Omega Pharma Quick Step Jersey provided by PowerBar.

sign up on www.tourdeconamara.com and join Bernard Hinault on the 140km or 80km routes.

Registrations received after the 14th April are on a first come first based for the limited editions gilets. Registrations are well ahead of last year so early registration is advised.

Team registration is now also open as well for the Team Time Trial in Carna the following day (Sunday 26th) Loads of categories and great prizes so if you are in a workplace with a few cyclists or a cycling or tri club now is your chance to have a go at a team time trial event. (Team is max of 5 and min of 3 with three times to count) This event is a fund fundraiser for Cancer Care West.

• Advertisement

Should be fun. All signed up. They sent out an email (that I missed) in regards to purchasing a Jersey and/or Bib Shorts as well. Didn't look half bad but I missed the deadline for it. Not that I need another Jersey. Not going to be doing the TT though - riding solo and have to head back to Loughrea area that day by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Signed up to do the 140KM route. Does anyone have this route on Garmin Connect or Strava. I'll getting worried it might be too much climbing for my wee legs.

http://www.tourdeconamara.com/routes/140km-route/

Thats the route - I'm sure you can plot that on bikeroutetoaster.com or the like to find out elevation.

EDIT: According to Bikeroutetoaster.com - http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=523600 - I just plotted in the course. Looks like the 'big hills' take part in the beginning of the Tour and then flattens out at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads
    Compared to the 'Climbs' in W200 or the An Post Tours Sligo,Burren,Sk or Rebel and many others the 'Climbs' on this are short and sharpish.
    Its the constant rolling up and over little drags on the whole route which saps the energy.
    If you don't know the Wests roads be prepared. They are rough as a bigger chip is used in surface dressing.

I'll be on my touring bike myself - minus the panniers - but it looks like a beautiful area to be riding across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

mcallaghan wrote: »
    Should be fun. All signed up. They sent out an email (that I missed) in regards to purchasing a Jersey and/or Bib Shorts as well. Didn't look half bad but I missed the deadline for it. Not that I need another Jersey. Not going to be doing the TT though - riding solo and have to head back to Loughrea area that day by bike.

According to the website the deadline for ordering jerseys is the 10 April. So Wednesday.

mcallaghan wrote: »
    http://www.tourdeconamara.com/routes/140km-route/

Thats the route - I'm sure you can plot that on bikeroutetoaster.com or the like to find out elevation.

EDIT: According to Bikeroutetoaster.com - http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=523600 - I just plotted in the course. Looks like the 'big hills' take part in the beginning of the Tour and then flattens out at the end.

Just mapped it on ridewithgps, looks like approx 4700ft climbing (Elevation)

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2327522

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

I think the route goes anti clockwise so all climbing is in last segment. that way the 80km route misses the big climbs !!!

Davgtrek, i took the route directly from www.tourdeconamara.com. I would rather get most of the climbimg out of the way early.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I rode the 140 route last year. Great weather, scenery, food, great event overall. The route went anti-clockwise last year, so there were a few hills towards the end. There are no mountains to climb, as most of the roads in this area seem to run through valleys. I cycled about 65km of the route again two weeks ago.
    I missed the start last year by about 5 mins and had to race to catch onto the tail end of the group. Didn't see Bernard Hinault the whole time, even at the end. Ah well, maybe this year I will.
    If I was to recomend anything to the organizers, I'd say, have a loud speaker or mic counting down to the start time. Also, could do with a water stop at Maam cross. If we get the same sort of heat as last year, there are a lot of thirsty riders with empty bottles by the time they get to Maam cross, and there is a bit of a climb to negotiate after Maam Cross.

• Advertisement

We have taken the feedback on board and the first stop on the 140km route is now Carna and the second is at Maam. Water stations will be set up as well. The 80km stop is at Cashel and both 140km and 80km mroutes have their final stop at Kylemore Abbey.

Looks like Hinault will also do a short q&a at the carna bay hotel on Saturday night where there is a big trad session planned and that's where the team time trial is kicking off on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

We have taken the feedback on board and the first stop on the 140km route is now Carna and the second is at Maam. Water stations will be set up as well. The 80km stop is at Cashel and both 140km and 80km mroutes have their final stop at Kylemore Abbey.

Looks like Hinault will also do a short q&a at the carna bay hotel on Saturday night where there is a big trad session planned and that's where the team time trial is kicking off on the Sunday.

So the route is anticlockwise? Just to let you know that the route map linked from the website clearly shows it going the other way.

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1917617#lat=53.452800981114&lng=-9.8072900000001&zoom=11&maptype=ts_terrain

Anyways I'm signed up and looking forward to the day, I was in Connemara for the marathon Sunday last and cycled some of the route (backways now it seems :D), the hills aren't really too much to be worried about but I'd be hoping we don't get a repeat of Sunday's wind, there's not much shelter out there.

Route is anticlockwise heading southernly from Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Anyone got an idea what time is the roll out?

140km starts at 9.30am and the 80km starts at 9.45am. Sign on Friday night in Galway and Clifden and then Saturday morning from 7.30am to 9.15am. Collect event gillets at sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

140km starts at 9.30am and the 80km starts at 9.45am. Sign on Friday night in Galway and Clifden and then Saturday morning from 7.30am to 9.15am. Collect event gillets at sign on.

where in galway?
    thanks

Galway City location that will be announced closer to the day of the event.

Nice piece in todays Irish Times featuring the SKODA Tour de Conamara. Tomorrow is last day to register and guarantee yourself and event gilet. Online registration will remain open until mid May or until we reach our event limit. www.tourdeconamara.com

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Is there a discount for registering early. €40 seems a lot in these economically depressed times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

possibly a stupid question but does the badger do this every year?

Advertisement