Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Roland27 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the Freesports is only available on Sky in Ireland, as per their FAQ, which is strange because I would've thought it'd be on Eir given the close links with the channels.

Freesports SD (720x576) is FTA and thus available in Ireland without any Sky subscription.

Unfortunately Freesports HD is not FTA :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

kooga wrote: »
    Interesting freesports have the right to the leinster senior schools rugby, there is a game today belvo v Cistercian - I wonder will the game be geo blocked as it is on eirsport 1 as well

It’s not. Interestingly it is FreeSport’s graphics not eir’s being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

icdg wrote: »
    I’m wondering if the silence from eir is possibly due to annoyance at Premier Sports going out and buying rights for what they see as “their turf” without their involvement. Of course, the rights for UK & Ireland came together as a package in this instance, but there was a similar silence in relation to Premier Sports picking up of 3pm FAPL games (and indeed, we still don’t know how they plan to distribute these games in Ireland).

But, if eir went out and bought Setanta Ireland and actually neglected to include a non-compete clause in the contract, that’s their own look out. They know exactly who Premier Sports are and have been benefiting from the UK&Ireland rights they have since the buyout.

Probably there will be much more of this too.

Relationship between the two seems to have got frosty since the French buyout of eir a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

I’m wondering if the silence from eir is possibly due to annoyance at Premier Sports going out and buying rights for what they see as “their turf” without their involvement. Of course, the rights for UK & Ireland came together as a package in this instance, but there was a similar silence in relation to Premier Sports picking up of 3pm FAPL games (and indeed, we still don’t know how they plan to distribute these games in Ireland).

But, if eir went out and bought Setanta Ireland and actually neglected to include a non-compete clause in the contract, that’s their own look out. They know exactly who Premier Sports are and have been benefiting from the UK&Ireland rights they have since the buyout.

I just rang EirSports customer service (Scotland) and asked if they are showing live Serie A this Sunday, and they said they 100% are not and have heard nothing about showing Serie A as of yet.

I raised the point of seeing Roma v Milan listed on the Sky EPG of Eir Sport 2, but they said they only go by the Eir EPG and site schedule and there's no listings for Serie A.

Why would it be listed on Sky's EPG then? It is 100% the same feed right?

FreeSports ran a promo for Serie A at the end of the Schools Rugby coverage, tooting FreeSports as “the home of Serie A in Ireland and the UK”, going out on eir Sport 1 and all. To be fair only Saturday’s matches airing on FreeSports were actually promoted. To make matters more confusing the broadcast did end with a “(c) Eircom Limited 2019” slide, which would seem to indicate eir are well aware of what is going on.

But to answer your question. In 2013 Setanta (then owners of both Premier Sports and Setanta Ireland), for cost savings reasons, merged the satellite feeds of both Setanta Sports 1 (now eir Sport 2) and Premier Sports. Thereafter both channels effectively ran a single schedule, with differences between the two accomplished by geoblocking only. For example at the time, Setanta Ireland’s Premier League coverage was geoblocked in the UK, and Premier Sports GAA championship coverage was (and continues to be) geoblocked in Ireland. All programmes and continuity airing on both Setanta Sports 1 and Premier Sports were branded only as “Premier Sports”, with “Setanta Sports 1” branding only used on programmes airing only in Ireland.

But initially, this arrangement only applied on satellite. The cable version continued to be branded Setanta Sports 1 at all times, carried Irish advertising, and where programmes aimed only at the UK were being aired by Premier Sports, carried alternative programming (usually repeats of the Australian Rugby League). However this arrangement later also changed (in 2015 I think) so that the cable and satellite versions became identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Dindane wrote: »
    When I last subscribed to EirSport in Ireland, I was able to tune in the Premier Sports channels on Other Channels.

Just tried this and it still works. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Eir EPG just updated to show the Serie A on eir Sport 2 on Sunday and Monday - Saturday games will be shown early on Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys will we see Premier Sports HD channel on the EPG over here.

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys will we see Premier Sports HD channel on the EPG over here.

Eir Sport 2 HD, channel 422

Eir Sport 2 HD, channel 422

Unfortunately it wasn't broadcasting the Juve Serie A match today and was only available on Premier sports SD

• Advertisement

It wasn’t on either Premier Sports channel, they were showing GAA (Limerick v Tipperary on Premier Sports 1, Dublin v Galway on Premier Sports 2 - the inverse of the eir Sport lineup)

FreeSports (Channel 429) showed the Serie A games - it’s only in SD, even in the UK. FreeSports HD is only available on the Virgin Media UK platform.

Just to add though, next Saturday’s Serie A games are going to be on Premier Sports 2, the channel that’s not available in Ireland (though it can be manually turned by eir Sport satellite subscribers). Also Mayo v Cavan appears to be eir Vision customers only, as Premier Sports 1 (eir Sport 2) shows Scottish football followed by NHL.

Just to add though, next Saturday’s Serie A games are going to be on Premier Sports 2, the channel that’s not available in Ireland (though it can be manually turned by eir Sport satellite subscribers). Also Mayo v Cavan appears to be eir Vision customers only, as Premier Sports 1 (eir Sport 2) shows Scottish football followed by NHL.

I *think* Premier Sports 2 cannot be tuned in using the 'free' eir sports card provided to eir broadband subscribers, only to eir sport subscribers.

Do I have that correct?

It wasn’t on either Premier Sports channel, they were showing GAA (Limerick v Tipperary on Premier Sports 1, Dublin v Galway on Premier Sports 2 - the inverse of the eir Sport lineup)

FreeSports (Channel 429) showed the Serie A games - it’s only in SD, even in the UK. FreeSports HD is only available on the Virgin Media UK platform.

Apologies for the confusion I did mean FreeSports but thanks for confirming about the HD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I *think* Premier Sports 2 cannot be tuned in using the 'free' eir sports card provided to eir broadband subscribers, only to eir sport subscribers.

Do I have that correct?

On Sky, if you have the eir Sport pack, you can add Premier Sports 1 HD and Premier Sports 2 SD if you wish to "Other Channels"

I have them tuned in myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Found the frequency for Premier 2 but cant find Premier 1. Anyone have it?

Do I have that correct?
    On Sky, if you have the eir Sport pack, you can add Premier Sports 1 HD and Premier Sports 2 SD if you wish to "Other Channels"

I have them tuned in myself

It is not clear if that is with a Sky subscription or not.

Is that a YES I am correct
    or
    No I am incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will Rte be showing a live Gaa match that night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

mikeym wrote: »
    Will Rte be showing a live Gaa match that night?

Yes, they're showing Kerry v Dublin.

The Nal wrote: »
    Found the frequency for Premier 2 but cant find Premier 1. Anyone have it?

No need to tune in, it’s on channel 422.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Has anyone got the tuning frequency for Premier 1?
    I'm guessing they'll be showing Parma vs Inter next Saturday

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Has anyone got the tuning frequency for Premier 1?
    I'm guessing they'll be showing Parma vs Inter next Saturday

11641 H
    DVB-S2
    8PSK
    FEC 2/3

As I mentioned earlier, next Saturday’s Serie A is on Premier Sports 2

Premier Sports 1 is showing Scottish Cup and NHL. FreeSports showing pool.

Can imagine there may be some unhappy GAA people in GB as GAA League coverage gets booted to a tape delay showing following the NHL. This also means eir Sport can only show one live GAA game (Kerry v Dublin, also on RTE - Mayo v Cavan may be on eir Sport Extra on eir Vision only).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

When they have multiple streaming options why don't they use them? Let people cast it.

As I mentioned earlier, next Saturday’s Serie A is on Premier Sports 2

Premier Sports 1 is showing Scottish Cup and NHL. FreeSports showing pool.

On the Sky EPG - Eir Sport 2 has Scottish Cup and NHL listed.

Yes.

eir Sport 2 is Premier Sports 1.

I’m not sure how many times I can repeat that sentence. For all intents and purposes they are one and the same channel. (Even more confusingly, eir Sport 2 used to be called Setanta Sports 1, in the days when the other channel was called Setanta Ireland, and there had long since stopped being a Setanta Sports 2. Confused yet?).

The same does not apply to eir Sport 1 and Premier Sports 2, which are separate services (though they will often show the same programmes)

So to watch the Serie A on Saturday I need Premier Sport 2 - can that be tuned with Sky's other channels service?

Yes, if you are an eir Sport satellite subscriber (Another poster asked if this applies to eir Sport broadband subscribers who have an eir Sport entitlement on their Sky viewing card - I am not sure that it does).

It’s not part of the eir Sport pack and not officially available here so can’t guarantee that eir/Setanta won’t change the set up to block it here at some point.

Yeah I'm an eir Sport satellite subscriber.

Anyone got the manual tuning details?

• Advertisement

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Yeah I'm an eir Sport satellite subscriber.

Anyone got the manual tuning details?

https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/ie/Premier-Sports-2.html

Advertisement