Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is the 3pm game a valuable asset anymore?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Any word on why eir have sold the national league games to rte?

Nothing official. My view is that they wanted RTE (or anyone) to take some of the club championship rights off them because the extent of their rugby union commitments (the Pro14 and, next season, the Rugby World Cup) is causing them scheduling difficulties, and that RTE perhaps saw an opportunity to sublicense some Allianz League games as part of the price of doing a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I doubt Virgin will want to offer BT sport on it's platform as it will compete directly with their Champions League and Europa League rights. It nullifies the need for Virgin Sports.

Also, BT wouldn't agree to those games being blocked on Virgin as it is their main sports offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Was there any issue with EirSport 2 lately? I noticed at the week-end it wasn`t working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

loughside wrote: »
    Was there any issue with EirSport 2 lately? I noticed at the week-end it wasn`t working for me.

I think it was geo-blocked because Premier Sports 1 was showing something that Eir wasn't allowed.

• Advertisement

They were showing the same programme as eir Sport 1 (the Dragons v Munster game) and were blocked so that viewers would watch with Irish advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

I have been debating for a good few months, how they could offer such a service @ €59.99 x year. way too low in my opinion.. and now Serie A goes to Premier sport, which charges £99 x year.. I have enjoyed, till it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

icdg wrote: »
    Eleven gives up Serie A - moving to Premier Sports.

https://www.premiersports.com/football/serie-a-on-premier-sports.html

Can anyone shed any light on Premier Sports and how we get it in Ireland?

Its been said that they have a deal with Eir Sport (already exists in NI), but does that mean we will get the full Premier Sports channels available through Eir, or will they lease the Serie A rights to Eir?

Eir Sport 2 is a (nearly) identical simulcast of Premier Sports 1, so in principle these games should be available via eir. But no word yet from eir Sport on this at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

There are two Serie A games going out on Premier Sports on Sunday, Inter v Bologna at 5pm and Roma v AC Milan at 7:30pm.

This is the channel that simulcasts as EirSport 2, so worth keeping a look on their schedule and Twitter feed today to see what they say.

Freesports are showing two games games on Saturday - Napoli-Sampdoria and Juventus-Parma.

I don't see Eredivisie on the Premier schedules yet, and remember it is expected that Premier Sports will replace EirSport in Ireland as well in the coming months.

• Advertisement

Here's what Premier Sports are saying on their website, note they have picked up the Irish rights also, and also have the Dutch and Chinese leagues.

PREMIER SPORTS SECURES SERIE A RIGHTS IN THE UK & IRELAND
    - Italy’s Serie A has a new home as Premier Sports secures the rights until 2021
    - Premier Sports will show a minimum of 6 games per round starting this weekend
    - Eredivisie & Chinese Super League also to move to the UK sports broadcaster
    - Eleven Sports have agreed to provide a special offer to their subscribers to join Premier Sports

Premier Sports has announced they have secured the rights to Italy’s Serie A from February 2019 and will air a minimum of six games per round until the end of the 2020/21 season. Weekly highlights and preview shows are set to be broadcast by Premier Sports as well as a number of games live on sister free-to-air channel FreeSports. The rights were previously with Eleven Sports and a cooperative agreement has been made which means they will continue to broadcast this content non-exclusively in the UK until the 25th of February 2019 in order to minimise disruption for fans.

Serie A offers the chance for UK viewers to watch the best of Italian football featuring European giants Juventus, Napoli, Roma, Inter & AC Milan amongst others, along with some of the best footballers in the world such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Mauro Icardi, Paolo Dybala & Dries Mertens.

This monumental deal also includes the acquisition of the Eredivisie and the Chinese Super League with Premier Sports and FreeSports airing the biggest games of each round from the Netherlands and China across their network.

The addition of these top flight leagues adds more great content for Premier customers already enjoying every game from the PRO14 rugby, the biggest Scottish Cup games and NHL. Premier Sports are offering Eleven Sports customers a welcome offer giving them the chance to subscribe to Premier Sports on the Sky or Player Platform at the reduced rate of £5.99 per month with the first month free.

Use promo code SERIEA before 31st of March, 2019 at either www.premiersports.com or www.premierplayer.tv .Please note price reverts to £9.99 per month from August 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Serie A suits eir sports schedule as the pro14 and national league games are finished by Sunday evening, just when the games kick off.

I think La Liga games may clash so perhaps back to BT.

Eir Sport 2 is a (nearly) identical simulcast of Premier Sports 1, so in principle these games should be available via eir. But no word yet from eir Sport on this at all,

Thanks. Didn't know that. Eir Sport 2 is pretty devoid of good live sport (bar the GAA leagues which have now started) so it could be a good fit with live Serie A. Premier Sports also have a second channel, so I wonder how that'll be factored in. No, no word from Eir yet, hopefully we hear something from them soon.
    Dindane wrote: »
    I don't see Eredivisie on the Premier schedules yet, and remember it is expected that Premier Sports will replace EirSport in Ireland as well in the coming months.

Sorry could you explain that, Premier Sports will replace EirSport in Ireland in the coming months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

2 Serie games on eir sport 2 Sunday, 2 monday aswell

While eir Sport remain quiet, Sunday’s double bill(Inter v Bolonga, Roma v Milan) now in the eir Sport 2 schedule on the Sky EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Roland27 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on Premier Sports and how we get it in Ireland?

Its been said that they have a deal with Eir Sport (already exists in NI), but does that mean we will get the full Premier Sports channels available through Eir, or will they lease the Serie A rights to Eir?

No via Sky in the UK only. Online only in Ireland.

What a complete shítshow all round.
    While eir Sport remain quiet, Sunday’s double bill(Inter v Bolonga, Roma v Milan) now in the eir Sport 2 schedule on the Sky EPG.

Ooh really? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Two games added to the Sky EPG on FreeSports for Saturday - Napoli vs Samp & Juve vs Parma.

Ive moved posts from the Eleven Sports thread that relate primarily to Premier Sports acquisition of Serie A and Erdevisie rights to this thread. It appears these games will air in ROI on Eir Sport 2 and FreeSports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will there be clashes with the Pro 12 and the Allianz Leagues with the newly acquired Serie A rights?

We saw the farce when Eir didnt show any live Fa Cup matches last Friday & Saturday.

There may be - Saturday’s matches will be on FreeSports for this very reason. One post I saw from Premier Sports social media states that the Pro14 would always get priority. Obviously FreeSports wasn’t an option for the FA Cup (those rights are held by eir but not Premier, and as such can only be shown on eir Sport 1 or 2, with the latter taking Premier Sports 1 off air for the duration).

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    No via Sky in the UK only. Online only in Ireland.

What a complete shítshow all round.

Ooh really? Interesting.

When I last subscribed to EirSport in Ireland, I was able to tune in the Premier Sports channels on Other Channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dindane wrote: »
    When I last subscribed to EirSport in Ireland, I was able to tune in the Premier Sports channels on Other Channels.

Will give that a whirl later and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

could the matches be geo blocked on freesports as was the case last Friday night when the ulster v Benetton was blocked out on the sky

There’s no need for them to be. Premier Sports have ROI rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

kooga wrote: »
    could the matches be geo blocked on freesports as was the case last Friday night when the ulster v Benetton was blocked out on the sky

How can Freesports be geo blocked as it is a FTA channel that does not require a viewing card? If I am wrong re ROI and it does require a viewing card there (not so in UK) surely the FTA version can be added manually in ROI?

It can of course. If you know how - some people don’t. (On Sky Q, accessing Manual Tuning requires quite a number of menu choices and when you get there you need to enter your PIN).

FreeSports went on the ROI EPG but was pulled after about a fortnight (possibly after eir Sport objected to its Pro14 coverage) and, after a number of weeks, returned in the form of an encrypted version on which some Pro14 content is blocked.

It’s a particularly mean one in that case because it was a match involving an Irish team, that eir Sport had opted not to broadcast, and went out of their way to stop Irish viewers watching. Eir has treated Ulster particularly badly when it comes to Pro14 coverage this season - they’d argue that their coverage area is ROI only and its not commercially useful for them to prioritise coverage of a team whose support emmenates largely from NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coffey87

This might have been asked already, I have the Eir Sport Pack with Eir TV. Is it possible to get Freesports or is it only available to Sky TV customers? Is there no way for me to see the Saturday night Serie A games (if not on Eir 1 or 2) if that is the case?

coffey87 wrote: »
    This might have been asked already, I have the Eir Sport Pack with Eir TV. Is it possible to get Freesports or is it only available to Sky TV customers? Is there no way for me to see the Saturday night Serie A games (if not on Eir 1 or 2) if that is the case?

As far as I am aware the Freesports is only available on Sky in Ireland, as per their FAQ, which is strange because I would've thought it'd be on Eir given the close links with the channels.

You can watch the Saturday night games on the Premier Sports player if you sign up for it (you get a discount if you were with Eleven), see here https://www.premiersports.com/football/eleven-sports-customer.html

However, I'm reluctant to sign up to it (standard price £9.99 per month) if, as Premier Sports have said, the Serie A games will be shown on Eir Sport channels anyway. Thats a bit vague at the moment though, there's been silence from Eir as to what their coverage will be.

I've seen in this thread that the Eir Sport 2 schedule on the Sky EPG has two Sunday Serie A games listed, but the Eir TV EPG and the EirSport.ie TV Guide have no sign of any Serie A games on the schedule, which is odd. I presume they are the same and just not updated as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

How can Freesports be geo blocked as it is a FTA channel that does not require a viewing card? If I am wrong re ROI and it does require a viewing card there (not so in UK) surely the FTA version can be added manually in ROI?

Its on the sky epg but the Uls v Ben game was not available to view via the SKY ROI Epg - however as I had freesports in other channels I was able to watch the game

Interesting freesports have the right to the leinster senior schools rugby, there is a game today belvo v Cistercian - I wonder will the game be geo blocked as it is on eirsport 1 as well

• Advertisement

I’m wondering if the silence from eir is possibly due to annoyance at Premier Sports going out and buying rights for what they see as “their turf” without their involvement. Of course, the rights for UK & Ireland came together as a package in this instance, but there was a similar silence in relation to Premier Sports picking up of 3pm FAPL games (and indeed, we still don’t know how they plan to distribute these games in Ireland).

But, if eir went out and bought Setanta Ireland and actually neglected to include a non-compete clause in the contract, that’s their own look out. They know exactly who Premier Sports are and have been benefiting from the UK&Ireland rights they have since the buyout.

Advertisement