Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of drunk are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

I don't drink that often and yes I do get quite drunk, but I know when its time to go home, I've only ever been sick once but that was from drinking 4 shots of that sugary pirahna stuff...
    I am quite a giddy drunk, also think Im fantastic dancer,which I'm NOT!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Im normally very hyper - espec the last few months, mainly cause I dont have someone that I have to look after when they get drunk. I get very chatty aswel, its getting me to shut up thats the trick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

A really annoying one. Like every drunk. If you think you're not annoying drunk, you are.

+1

Drink doesnt make any of us better people. Imagine the nicest person you know, and then imagine bumping into them buckled in broad daylight at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon - not good.

I have gone out without drinking on a number of occasions but I generally find that it just becomes boring as people get drunker and talk rubbish.

We have a bad attitude to alcohol in this country, people drink to get drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

We have a bad attitude to alcohol in this country, people drink to get drunk.

No sorry now don't tar all of us with the same brush, some of us are well able to enjoy 1, 2, 3 drinks without getting buckled. I haven't been drunk in 2-3 years and even then I wasn't excessively drunk, no vomiting, blackouts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

when I drink it usually enhances whatever mood I'm in, so for the most part I get giddy, silly, want to dance etc. But the odd I do get aggressive. If I'm not in a good mood to start with, I just get soooo irritated with peoples drunk antics. I'm slowly learning to recognise this, and trying to leave before I get to that stage! Thankfully I've never blacked out, I think that would really scare me. I am a bit of a control freak, so it wouldn't sit well with me.
    When I was younger I used to end up in tears the odd time, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore, twas usually over some youngfella blanking me or some such! ahh the joys of being 18 :)

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    when I drink it usually enhances whatever mood I'm in, so for the most part I get giddy, silly, want to dance etc. But the odd I do get aggressive. If I'm not in a good mood to start with, I just get soooo irritated with peoples drunk antics. I'm slowly learning to recognise this, and trying to leave before I get to that stage! Thankfully I've never blacked out, I think that would really scare me. I am a bit of a control freak, so it wouldn't sit well with me.
    When I was younger I used to end up in tears the odd time, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore, twas usually over some youngfella blanking me or some such! ahh the joys of being 18 :)

This, if I'm in a bad mood/upset I will not drink, as crying or getting angry while drunk isn't pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Without fail, I definitely become louder. I think everyone does. By the time a house party hits a certain point, everyone is shouting. Aside from that, it really depends on my mood. If I'm in a good mood when I start, I'll usually be happy out for the night - dancing, singing, a lot of banter and piss-taking with friends. However, I also have a tendency to drink quite a bit when I feel blue, which results in me being a more sombre drunk. I don't cry so much, but I tend to get into very deep and meaningful conversations with friends where I just vent, or I might become confrontational. I've blacked out a few times, haven't vomited in quite a while. I used to vomit a lot when I was just starting to drink, when I didn't know my limits, but I'm able to control that a bit better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

A really annoying one. Like every drunk. If you think you're not annoying drunk, you are.

I disagree. Some drunks can be funny, amusing and chatty that I actually enjoy been around.

Saying that majority are annoying, prob inc myself :P But not EVERYONE!

No sorry now don't tar all of us with the same brush, some of us are well able to enjoy 1, 2, 3 drinks without getting buckled. I haven't been drunk in 2-3 years and even then I wasn't excessively drunk, no vomiting, blackouts etc.

You are right, unfortunately one comes across so many irresponsible drinkers that one forgets there are responsible drinkers out there too.

You are right, unfortunately one comes across so many irresponsible drinkers that one forgets there are responsible drinkers out there too.

Do you work in a bar/pub/club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I disagree. Some drunks can be funny, amusing and chatty that I actually enjoy been around.

I have never whilst sober experienced a drunk or tipsy person who was anything other than annoying. I'm sure one could find an exception to the rule, but yeah, I'm happy enough to say everyone is an annoying drunk.

I have never whilst sober experienced a drunk or tipsy person who was anything other than annoying. I'm sure one could find an exception to the rule, but yeah, I'm happy enough to say everyone is an annoying drunk.

The most annoying thing in the world, is a drunk person while your sober and a sober person while your drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    The most annoying thing in the world, is a drunk person while your sober and a sober person while your drunk.

Agree with the first part. The second part? I think everyone is drunk when I am! :pac:

No, I doubt Id have the stomach for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

I haven't had a black-out in quite a while, but they used to happen when I was in college. I find drink can affect me in wildly different ways for various reasons. For example, sometimes, I'm legitimately D-R-U-N-K after one pint, while on another night, five or six vodkas seem to have nooo affect on me. Then vice versa... I find it hard to predict what's going to happen so I've learned to be quite careful about what I drink. Like others have said, I think a lot depends on my mood before I started drinking, how tired I am, how much I've had to eat during that day.

Mostly I stick to bottles of beer nowadays as its the easiest to predict what's going to happen and I don't neck them down as quickly as other drinks. Beer won't change my demeanour - I just turn into a silly, marshmallow-for-brains version of myself. I will start a story or a sentence and by the time I'm halfway through, I'll have forgotten what comes next... very annoying!!! But never aggressive, rarely weepy although that has happened as a result of breakups, family stress etc coming to the surface after a few too many.

Wine, however, is the devil. One or two glasses with a meal is all well and good, but it's had to come completely off the menu for nights out. It drives me insane and I could literally do anything - which is completely against my character on normal nights out. I always stick with my mates, never go off wandering, maintain a sense of what's a good idea and what's a bad idea. With wine on board, it's anybody's guess what I might do, where I might go and who with, and that is *not* a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You hardly have to. It's enough to walk through any Irish town at two am on Saturday morning and you see the extent of the problem.

I come from the country with enormous drink problem. Both of my grandparents were functioning alcoholics but I also think that my mothers father was very hard to live with. He wasn't physically abusive, he was just an arse. So I would be a bit careful around alcohol. I don't think alcoholism in Ireland is as bad but binge drinking is much worse. Before I was mostly familiar with people who had to drink every day but here people don't drink during the week that much but then they get completely plastered at weekends in a lot bigger numbers. This type of drinking maybe isn't as addictive but it is very dangerous because more people get into the fights, sexual assaults are more common and there are plenty of standard A&E injuries.

When young we more or less drink to get drunk. But I think that after 25 people should be grown up enough to start drinking a bit more sensibly, drinking less and drinking what they actually enjoy. Everybody can have a good night every so often, I'm not total prude but I also think people should respect alcohol and what it can do. I had a teacher in high school who had no problem allowing us couple of drinks but he also used to say when drinking good wine (he was into wines big time): this wine is too good to get drunk with. And that is the attitude I try to stick with. So I guess I did learn something in school. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Saying that majority are annoying, prob inc myself :P But not EVERYONE!

I've met people I actually prefer to be around when they have a few drinks in them!

One girl I know in particular. Most of the time getting conversation out of her is like getting water from a stone. But on a night out she'll bend the ear off you, and she's really interesting and funny.

I also totally respect people's choice not to drink when out, and I have many times chosen so myself. But it drives me scatty when people can't dance cause they are sober, but would when they are drinking. I dance all the time no matter what. So the sober non dancers are the people I prefer drunk too :p

I know I'm just annoying sober and drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

drink makes me a better person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I have a very sharp tipping point. After three drinks I'm chatty and lively and up for a dance. But after a few more drinks, if someone says the wrong word to me or looks at me sideways, I could flip out.

I don't like that, and it's something that's only manifested itself in the last year. It's led to some horrible rows with my boyfriend, and I'm lucky I haven't been decked, to be honest (not by him, by strangers).

I try my best to stick to 3-4 drinks, 5 at tops. Then I'll keep my cool and won't ruin everyone's night. The problem is when people hand me drinks and I drink them to be polite; I lose track of what I'm drinking.

I'm much happier with a few beers or 2-3 glasses of wine at home, than skulling vodkas in the club. And I'm only 21 :o But at least I know my limit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I've had my fair share of horribly drunk nights, especially in college. Plenty of embarrassing, shameful memories (or lack thereof). I got sick of it all and how it made me feel, so now I much prefer to keep a cap on what I drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I have my cut off point too. When i have two or three drinks I can be happy out,giddy etc but anymore I can become very over sensitive. I can become paranoid too and start to get upset over silly stuff so I think I'm better off with two or three drinks plus its not worth the dreadful hangover and my hangovers seem to last at least three days if I have had over three drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 New dawn

Maybe there should be a 'Merlot and Me' mark 2. In my twenties i was a party drunk, dancing, giddy, and opinionated. In my thirties, I was an intellectual drunk, with sporadic blackouts after too much wine. In my forties it started to depress me, - not at the time of drinking, but usually on a downer for a few days after. Now (no ages attached!!!) I'm much more civilised (usually). very low threshold for alcolol, and in honesty - favourite moments are when kids in bed and I'm on my own, a nice g&t or glass of wine by the fire - should I check into the irish version of the betty forde clinic??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't know what sort of drunk I am! I drink really slowly and 9 times out of 10 I leave the first (and last) drink of the night unfinished. Once, I made it through 1 1/2 drinks, but that was over the course of 3-4 hours. I'm thinking the effect of alcohol isn't as strong when it's spread out over time, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I didn't really feel the effects. Maybe I get a little bit braver, but I'm already willing to dance, talk to strangers and sing karaoke with no alcohol, so it's hard to tell.

The only time I've ever really felt the effects of alcohol was in Napa Valley. We stopped by 4 or 5 wineries and had samples. I didn't finish any of mine, but I tried to get through half of each sample. By the end, I was giggling a lot more than usual and was a bit tipsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm generally just happy and up for a laugh when I'm drunk. Mad to hit the dancefloor and the likes. Myself and my best friends are all the same - Some of the best, most meaningful conversations we've had throughout our friendship have been when we were all on the wrong side of a bottle of vino.

I've had quite a few nights (more than I care to remember) where the night is either a blur or my memory of what I got upto was sketchy. I've also fallen over more than once due to too much alcohol to my massive heels, not sure which ;) Again, doesn't put me off.

On occasion, I've become weepy when drunk but usually over something that was upsetting me before I started drinking. Its a pretty rare occurrence.

I'm not an aggressive drunk at all - That would be the only thing that could make me stop drinking. Nothing worse than someone who is timid and shy when sober and mad for a fight when drunk. Total turn off.

I'm 21 and the way I react to drink is common amongst my circle of friends. We regularly drink just to get drunk (bad, I know), but are out to have a good time and not cause any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Does anyone else suffer from really bad fear or shame the next morning? Even if I haven't acted badly or said anything that stupid or out-of-character, I still hate remembering the previous night. It's weird - I don't tend to judge my friends for what they do or say when drinking so I don't know why I'm so paranoid about my own behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

vitani wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from really bad fear or shame the next morning? Even if I haven't acted badly or said anything that stupid or out-of-character, I still hate remembering the previous night. It's weird - I don't tend to judge my friends for what they do or say when drinking so I don't know why I'm so paranoid about my own behaviour.

Yeah I've had that, if I've gotten into an argument with someone or done something stupid.

I tend to feel quite down in general after a heavy night's drinking though, even if the night had been enjoyable. When I'm hungover I just can't seem to get out of a funk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

My ex is actually a nicer person drunk than he is sober. I prefer talking to him when he's drunk, which used to be every night. He's not as sarcastic, more affectionate, more honest and just an all round nicer person. When he's sober he's always rushing in with his smartass answers, would cut you in two with sarcastic responses and just has the general attitude he doesn't give a rats ass about you. Then he makes up for it a few hours later when he has a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I've had that, if I've gotten into an argument with someone or done something stupid.

I tend to feel quite down in general after a heavy night's drinking though, even if the night had been enjoyable. When I'm hungover I just can't seem to get out of a funk.

i used to get that quite badly but somehow i have mastered just not givin a fcuk about night before, unless something well out of order was done or said by me. I will apologise which actually hasnt happened too many times in the grand scheme of things. Ive been drinkin for 13 years now regularly so I think its just down to experience. Eventually you realise it is just the after effects of heavy nights boozin thats playin on your mind and not that anything bad actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Don't get drunk very often but when l do l actually like the person l become :p

Find most things funny, can talk to anyone, l still manage to have my wits about me, couldn't care what anyones thinking of me, dance to anything & manage to say a firm NO to a guy who asks me to go home with him :pac: :pac:

but...if the nights going a bit shi*e l can get very depressed :( oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I have a very sharp tipping point. After three drinks I'm chatty and lively and up for a dance. But after a few more drinks, if someone says the wrong word to me or looks at me sideways, I could flip out.

I don't like that, and it's something that's only manifested itself in the last year. It's led to some horrible rows with my boyfriend, and I'm lucky I haven't been decked, to be honest (not by him, by strangers).

I try my best to stick to 3-4 drinks, 5 at tops. Then I'll keep my cool and won't ruin everyone's night. The problem is when people hand me drinks and I drink them to be polite; I lose track of what I'm drinking.

I'm much happier with a few beers or 2-3 glasses of wine at home, than skulling vodkas in the club. And I'm only 21 :o But at least I know my limit now.

I am like that too. Luckily I was never much of a drinker, and its rarely happened. I'd love to be one of those people who sing and hug people when they are drunk, but I'd be more likely to focus on some insignificant thing and get upset about it or get maudlin so its just not worth it.

I used to try to drink what was bought for me to be polite, and it rarely ended well. Now my friends know that if they buy me a drink I didnt want, it gets left on the table. I've never lost a friend by doing it, (someone will always drink it!) so dont be afraid to.

I also know what drinks to stay away from, what ones dont suit me - beer or guinness is my usual tipple.

Advertisement