Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of drunk are you?

Options
  • 25-02-2013 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I am a naturally giddy person, and this is the bit that shines through when I'm drinking. I love to dance and laugh and get up to mischief! I have some friends that get quite argumentative when they've been drinking. I know a couple who both have this trait and every night out/ in with them ends in a blazing row. Years ago, I had a friend who ended up in tears every time she drank, over something or another.

One thing that shocks me over in PI/ RI is the negative effect drink has on some women. There have been posts where girls black out to the point where they don't know if they have slept with people, or they have acted fairly aggressively with lads, "stalker" behaviour through many phone calls and texts to men, etc. I find this so scary. I have been really drunk in the past, and have those "flashbacks" to saying stupid things in conversations, or dancing like Beyonce on the dancefloor, but I have never blacked out, or done anything I would think is out of character for me.

I am just wondering how common this "blacking out" thing is. If it happened to you, would you give up/ cut down on the drink?

Are you a happy drunk or would you start a fight with anyone in earshot?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm very rarely drunk, but anytime I have been I've been in love with the world and everyone in it.

If it was any other way I think I'd probably not drink at all. Aggro on a night out is really unpleasant. Alcohol is not a drug that suits everyone, but it's the only one people are legally allowed, so everyone takes it.

I've never blacked out, but I did get frighteningly drunk once or twice when I was in college. It's not something I'd ever like to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I'm a messy drunk. Usually good humoured but would say really inappropriate things, as I'm guessing most people would.

Would I stop drinking if I blacked out? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Know a few girls in my course who are regularly legless.

If I was ever fall down drunk, unable to pick myself up off the cobblestones in Temple Bar I'd never touch the stuff again. The memory alone would haunt me with embarrassment. And yet every time I'm out with my class it's the same story.

Usually followed by vomit.

Those ads about drinking at your own pace need to be taken heed of IMO.

I've been involved in games of Kings where I've drank the 'bucket' (pint glass of everyone else's drink mixed together) when I lost. But I know what I can take and what I can't. Generally when I'm drunk I know when to put the glass down. Often while I'm taking a wizz I'll give myself a good talking to.

"You're drunk mister, you. Stop now. Work in the morrow. Okays".

Have known a few people who were arrested for their own safety. One was found in the toilets at kicking out time. Unable to communicate. Guards couldn't get an address out of her. Barely a name. So they had to arrest her and keep her in an observed cell.

Lads do it a lot too. But I think the lower tolerance on average to alcohol makes women way more susceptible.

Also, when I see a guy stumbling home locked I don't really give it a second thought. But when I see a girl I kind of worry a bit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I black out if I drink too much - it's actually frightening to wake up the next day and find out you did or said something that you've no memory of.

I rarely drink anymore. But when I do, I'm a friendly drunk, not aggressive at all. I chat to everybody, but sometimes do flirt too much. Another reason why I've stopped drinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think I'm much of a drunk at all, I find myself hitting my limit at 3 or 4 drinks most of the time, rarely able to pass that much. I can go out and drink 2 pints and think that's a fine night out :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think how alcohol affects me (and other people) is also affected by whats going on in their life.

I have had periods in life where it would make me a bit weepy, or horny or whatever. Ive never been an aggressive drunk, although I do know people who do get very aggressive with drink on them - if it affected me that way Id just not drink to be honest.

Generally speaking Im just a sort of happy spa drunk who likes to dance around and be silly. I dont get drunk that much, a few times a year, and I havent drank to the point where I cant remember what happened in years - although that did happen me a few times in my younger day before I knew my limits.

Im kind of afraid of alcohol, my father was quite an extreme alcoholic so I have a fear of it and what it can do to people.

The older I get the more boring I find it too. I was out at the weekend and the people were just becoming more and more boring the more they drank, talking rubbish and slurring. One individual was practically asleep in the seat and another became aggressive towards me because her husband said hello to me.

Then of course, the dreaded hangover, which seems to get worse with age although its probably my older body unable to bounce back as quick.

Overall, alcohol was a useful social lubricant when I was younger and it certainly took the edge off when looking to score, but having had many negative experiences (like witnessing alcoholism first hand), I think I can take it or leave it now. Certainly if a doctor told me that I could never have another drink I wouldnt really mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

In my younger days I definitely drank to get drunk, complete with ill-advised shots, 'social smoking' and ending the night hunched over a toilet bowl :rolleyes: I've never blacked out though, or gotten aggressive. Nowadays I hate the feeling of getting too drunk, and at a certain point in the night I'll just switch to water. I find that the night hits the tipp(sy)ing point and goes downhill from there, so you may as well start sobering up!

One reason that I went mad on nights out when I was a teenager/ early 20s was low confidence. I think that's at the root of a lot of young women getting legless in nightclubs. Now I'm a lot more sure of myself and don't need the booze comfort blanket so much :)

Edit: interestingly the only drink that's had any noticeable effect on my mood is whiskey. Even after one or two I'd be irritable, and my mood would be very low the next day. Obviously I avoid it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I had couple of black outs in my teens and early twenties. Up to my middle twenties I was out a lot, drinking about twice per week. But that could mean only a glass of wine. I'd consider four glasses of wine or four shots a good night out and would drink more very rarely, mostly at house parties. I would get very drunk mostly unintentionally when talking too much and not even noticing how much I've drank. So I chat a lot when drunk but I don't remember that I would ever get into argument or start crying. I don't dance either. I just chat to whomever walks by.

I drink very rarely more than a glass of wine (i'm talking of one unit glass of wine not half a bottle glass of wine) now and haven't been drunk for a year. I was brought up drinking wine with good meal and regularly drink a small glass with food .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I think how drunk and what kind of drunk you get is dependant on your mood before you start and what you drink.

If your in bad humour or sad and hit the vodka you will probably end up locked, burning the ears of someone and getting sick or running amuck and getting into trouble.

However, if your in good form you could be buzzzzin around the place, yapping to everyone and all on the same amount and same type of booze.... what yas reckon?

sometimes booze makes ya feel hot under the collar too.... sometimes...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I tend to just waffle the ears of people, find everything amusing, and love dancing. I have never blacked out, but like the op I get I forget some things I have said and get cringing flash backs the next day :o

I dislike aggressive drunks - annoying:mad:.
    I think if someone always feels the need to cause fight and or an argument when they are drunk they shouldn't drink. Simples.
    Same applies for people who black out.

I had this one Friend, every time we went out she would get her self in awful state and we would be left looking after her all night, ensuring she got home safe etc. The annoying part was , She would think this was hilarious and laugh about the next day.
    It was worrying and not fair on the rest of us.
    We told her many of times to control what she drank and stop getting into a state, as it was unfair on the rest of us and ruining our nights out.
    No matter how annoying it was we would never leave her on her own. Anyways it got to stage where we just stopped asking her out with us, If I wanted to spend the night babysitting I'd stay at home with me nephews :rolleyes:

I think if you can't handle your drink you just shouldn't drink. I understand that we all have that night or 2 where we get in really bad state, can't remember much and make a show of ourselves :o but someone who gets like that all time just shouldn't drink! It's selfish and it's dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a few 'can't remember what happened' drunk nights in my college days. These days I've learned to love being face-tingly tipsy. I'm also a very sleepy drunk, prone to finding a comfy corner and dozing off in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am the exact same as I am sober, except much louder and I curse :pac:

Used to black put every time I drank mostly, which was usually a couple of times a week. Never scared me, I always woke up at home and never really got into any trouble, just couldnt remember what I did. But I was also responsible somehow, it's hard to explain!

Got some help for my emotional problems that fed into my drinking habits and I'm doing much better now. Haven't blacked out in a few years, and can enjoy drinking now without having to drink myself into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

When drinking wine I’m a grumpy bitch. I don’t drink wine anymore.

Beer makes me love everything and everyone.

Jack/Cap morgans makes me giddy and wanting to dance on the spot.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a very hard limit when I drink of roughly 6-7 pints or the equivalent in wine/spirits - any more than that and I *will* be violently ill. I never black out because I'll throw it all up first. This probably stops me from saying or doing some things that I may later regret, and I tend to stop at around 3-4 pints most of the time anyway. It probably helps that I have a taste for craft beers and like to savour what I'm drinking rather than lashing it back for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I love getting drunk, its great. Ill generally say something offensive,usually to friends or friends of friends. Never personal abuse though, more faux pas or taboos. always playful in tone although the others generally dont see it that way. Dry ****es! I used to worry the next day about what ive said but ive completely given that up now. Lifes too short! Dya hear that des fkcin bishop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I love getting drunk, its great. Ill generally say something offensive,usually to friends or friends of friends. Never personal abuse though, more faux pas or taboos. always playful in tone although the others generally dont see it that way. Dry ****es! I used to worry the next day about what ive said but ive completely given that up now. Lifes too short! Dya hear that des fkcin bishop!
    That's not a very good attitude in my opinion. You offend people and you dont care? And call them dry shítes for being offended by what you said? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I tend to just waffle the ears of people, find everything amusing, and love dancing. I have never blacked out, but like the op I get I forget some things I have said and get cringing flash backs the next day :o

I dislike aggressive drunks - annoying:mad:.
    I think if someone always feels the need to cause fight and or an argument when they are drunk they shouldn't drink. Simples.
    Same applies for people who black out.

I had this one Friend, every time we went out she would get her self in awful state and we would be left looking after her all night, ensuring she got home safe etc. The annoying part was , She would think this was hilarious and laugh about the next day.
    It was worrying and not fair on the rest of us.
    We told her many of times to control what she drank and stop getting into a state, as it was unfair on the rest of us and ruining our nights out.
    No matter how annoying it was we would never leave her on her own. Anyways it got to stage where we just stopped asking her out with us, If I wanted to spend the night babysitting I'd stay at home with me nephews :rolleyes:

I think if you can't handle your drink you just shouldn't drink. I understand that we all have that night or 2 where we get in really bad state, can't remember much and make a show of ourselves :o but someone who gets like that all time just shouldn't drink! It's selfish and it's dangerous.

I have a friend who is the exact same. I don't see her all that often now, but the last few times has been at weddings and a christening where she had to be brought home. She tends to get aggressive when people are trying to calm her down/sober her up. She would be falling, spilling drinks on herself and others and throwing herself at lads. The next day she would have no recollection of the night before, and when reminded, she would half- heartedly apologise then laugh it off. If I acted like this on one night out I would be mortified and apologise to everyone who witnessed me making a show of myself. I certainly wouldn't repeat the performance every time I went out.

I've just turned thirty, really enjoy a drink (albiet less frequently than I used to) and I know how to have a good time, but if I woke up and my legs were cut from falling and my outfit stained with vomit and I had no idea why, I would be staying away from the demon drink for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I tend to talk when I'm drunk... A LOT!

My other half recorded me talking one night when I came in and started talking rubbish to him, I sounded like I was on speed or something, just wouldn't shut up.

I have never blacked out as similarly to someone above I would vomit before I got that bad - but again the older I get the less interest I have in being drunk, I much prefer being tipsy

Getting drunk can be great fun, but you have openly admitted saying "offensive" things to your friends/ friend's friends and you don't care? That is kinda rude.

ElleEm wrote: »
    Getting drunk can be great fun, but you have openly admitted saying "offensive" things to your friends/ friend's friends and you don't care? That is kinda rude.

i generally get it back ten fold myself from mates, just banter. complete strangers would not be targeted. the friends of friends are generally members of the exponentially growing pc brigade of modern times. its alot more to do with them being hyper-senstive and way too easily offended than what i actually say..trust me!:)

• Advertisement

i generally get it back ten fold myself from mates, just banter. complete strangers would not be targeted. the friends of friends are generally members of the exponentially growing pc brigade of modern times. its alot more to do with them being hyper-senstive and way too easily offended than what i actually say..trust me!:)

Banter is totally different. Some people can just be obnoxious pr!cks when they're drunk!

ElleEm wrote: »
    Banter is totally different. Some people can just be obnoxious pr!cks when they're drunk!

i generally find in my social circle its the people who dish out the most abuse cant take one atom of it themselves. always the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I tend to come out with stupid things when drinking.

Like, coming home from a match the other night, we stopped to get lemon and brown sugar, for hot whiskeys. We were nearly home, when suddenly I came out with,

"Do we have any ice?"

Boyfriend: "Ice ... for hot whiskeys ...??!!"

Boyfriend and taxi driver proceeded to piss themselves laughing. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

I love a good glass of wine and tend to get mischievous when I've had a few but its rare enough that I would call myself 'drunk'.

The last time was at Christmas and I was out with my boyfriend, and neither of us can remember how we got home. That's not something I would like to happen very often. Its just so... pointless. The hangovers aren't worth it anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

When I'm drunk I'm chatty, exciteable, cheeky, sarcastic and love to dance...the exact same as when I'm sober :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I was the same drunk as sober, chatty, giggled alot and absolutely loved everyone :D Its been along long time since i drank alcohol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I tend to not really get absolutely gee-eyed pissed these days as the hangovers are too much to take, but when I do I'm usually just a more animated, loud, silly, inquisitive version of myself. I ask a lot of people a lot of questions.

And weirdly, I make stuff up. Whoever said that alcohol brings the truth out...I've fabricated some Oscar-winning stories about myself and my life while completely locked. And I find myself engaged in serious, often political debates that I otherwise wouldn't have any interest in.

Gin destroys me though. Heart and soul, mind and dignity, just gone in one fell swoop. I think Dylan Moran describes it best
    The most dangerous drink is gin. You have to be really, really careful with that. And you also have to be 45, female and sitting on the stairs. Because gin isn't really a drink, it's more a mascara thinner. "Nobody likes my shoes!" "I made... I made fifty... ****ing vol-au-vents, and not one of you... not one of you... said 'Thank you.'" And my favourite: "Everybody, shut up. Shut up! This song is all about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am pretty much exactly the same. People are always so shocked that I drink so much and act the same as I am sober.

The odd time when I do drink *too* much I just have to go home and get sick/go to bed. My stomach can't handle it so I have no chance to act differently/make an ass outta myself :P

Oh actually one difference is that drink make me EXTREMELY hungry. I can eat insane amounts of food when I am drunk. It's like whatever thing inside my body that usually stops me eating after a certain amount just stops working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Depends on what I'm drinking, Vodka and spirits and I'm fine, I can last a while and have a good time and retain some semblance of dignity but beer makes me stupidly drunk, even after one I feel drunk and can slur so I think I'm probably allergic to beer and try not to drink it very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

A really annoying one. Like every drunk. If you think you're not annoying drunk, you are.

Advertisement