Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Wha? It's one of the most amazing electronic soundtracks out there and has been a massive influence on generations of producers.

Nothing dates like the recent past, have another listen.
    The 'sound of the future' now sounds like 1982.

Kubrick got it right with '2001:A Space Odyssey', classical and timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

9959 wrote: »
    Nothing dates like the recent past, have another listen.
    The 'sound of the future' now sounds like 1982.

Kubrick got it right with '2001:A Space Odyssey', classical and timeless.

Tbf, I've listened to it several times. It's timeless and perfectly captures the future noir aspect of the film. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Tbf, I've listened to it several times. It's timeless and perfectly captures the future noir aspect of the film. I love it.

Well at least we can agree that it's a great film.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

1, 2 and 3 are good and much better than 4, 5 and 6.

There, I said what we were all thinking.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

1, 2 and 3 are good and much better than 4, 5 and 6.

There, I said what we were all thinking.

No we weren't. 1, 2 and 3 don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Zaph wrote: »

can we ban that user? Is saying the imaginary Star Wars prequels are better than the ones that do exist a bannable offence? Can we make it one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Zaph wrote: »

I was only joking.

There are no good star wars films.

I was only joking.

There are no good star wars films.

BANNED.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Have the similarities been pointed out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Thwip! wrote: »
    Episode IV
    Episode V
    Episode I
    Episode II
    Episode III
    Episode VI

In that order OP.

DO IT

Why in this order? Without giving too much away for the OP. You can PM if that's not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You can just completely forgo 1 2 and 3. They're ****.

4 and 5 are, while not flawless, excellent films. Not excellent sci-fi or excellent kids films (although they are both as well) but just excellent films.
    You need to see 6 too but it's not a patch on 4 and 5. You do start to see Lucas' descent in to madness which has fully manifested itself by the time it comes to the prequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Star wars is alright. The bit where Spock dies is pretty sad though.

:pac::pac::pac:

Star Trek is better anyways. (awaits the wrath of Star Wars fans!)

Cungi wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Star Trek is better anyways. (awaits the wrath of Star Wars fans!)

I love them both! Comparing the two is absurd. Star Trek is about discovery, how despite the fact that we're all different, it's possible for us to get along and treat each other with decency, rising above our destructive nature. Even though the ways of others are peculiar, at best, they still exist and have the right to exist. That's always what Star Trek has been about. The first openly gay actor. The first inter-racial kiss. Even though it's hokey as Hell, Star Trek is the best example of hope for humanity and what we may be capable of as a race (From a philosophical point of view, not the technological).

Star Wars is about the old good vs. evil fight. Redemption, love, friendship, being better than you think you can be even though it seems impossible. You must learn to overcome the impossible and do what is right. There's so much more to it within the extended universe, and if you sit and think about it for a while. Also, kick ass laser swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not pushed about Star Wars to be honest, but would like to read the LOTR books before watching the films.

Just thought of another 2, the Shreks and the Toy Storys:o

I personally only liked the first Shrek, so I don't think you're missing much there. I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't seen Toy Story (2 and 3 are great too) so you should get out and see that ASAP.

As for Lord of the Rings, the books are great but the films definitely do them justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

Not pushed about Star Wars to be honest, but would like to read the LOTR books before watching the films.

Just thought of another 2, the Shreks and the Toy Storys:o

I'd actually recommend against that; as a general rule, you should watch movies before you read the books, as doing it the other way round usually makes the movie disappointing (since it's not done the way you imagined it). I read the books first and the movies felt underwhelming as a result; I have no doubt I'd have enjoyed them more if I hadn't read the books first. But when you watch the movies, have someone else who knows the story with you so you can ask questions when it gets complicated (they definitely crammed a lot into those movies).

On top of which, you should definitely start with The Hobbit first.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can't stand any of them tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Saw the massive brick that was the LOTR book years ago in college, thought to myself 'I'll wait until the movie comes out.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They're nothing amazing. 4 5 and 6 are alright. 1 2 and 3 are steaming piles of shyte with some of the most awful, very bad, terrible, abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, repulsive, shocking, stinking and unpleasant dialogue ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Evilsbane wrote: »
    I'd actually recommend against that; as a general rule, you should watch movies before you read the books, as doing it the other way round usually makes the movie disappointing (since it's not done the way you imagined it). I read the books first and the movies felt underwhelming as a result; I have no doubt I'd have enjoyed them more if I hadn't read the books first. But when you watch the movies, have someone else who knows the story with you so you can ask questions when it gets complicated (they definitely crammed a lot into those movies).

On top of which, you should definitely start with The Hobbit first.

Thou shalt not put movies before books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They're nothing amazing. 4 5 and 6 are alright. 1 2 and 3 are steaming piles of shyte with some of the most awful, very bad, terrible, abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, repulsive, shocking, stinking and unpleasant dialogue ever.

I've always had a place in my heart for Phantom Menace. Why? Cos it sort of FEELS like a Star Wars film. There were less digital effects, it wasn't shot digitally, it had the whole section on Tattooine, and Liam Neeson was excellent. And of course, Darth Maul.

The other reason is that Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman weren't in it; they are probably good actors but Lucas sucked any life out of them by over directing them, and the dialogue in 2 and 3 is as you described it above.

I hate 2 and 3 but I'll happily watch Phantom Menace. Its the only one of the prequels I have on DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Watch in this order

4, 5 and 6......

Then if you have nothing else to do watch 1 and 2 (cos u kinda have to), then make sure you watch 3.

Lucas kinda made a balls of 1 and 2 but it came together for me in 3, I thought he did a good job with 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've always had a place in my heart for Phantom Menace. Why? Cos it sort of FEELS like a Star Wars film. There were less digital effects, it wasn't shot digitally, it had the whole section on Tattooine, and Liam Neeson was excellent. And of course, Darth Maul.

The other reason is that Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman weren't in it; they are probably good actors but Lucas sucked any life out of them by over directing them, and the dialogue in 2 and 3 is as you described it above.

I hate 2 and 3 but I'll happily watch Phantom Menace. Its the only one of the prequels I have on DVD.

Natalie Portman is in Phantom Menace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

9959 wrote: »
    ....and the 'futuristic' soundtrack.

Which is one of the best film scores ever..

Thou shalt not put movies before books.

Why? loads of movies are better than their book counterparts, The Godfather and Jaws to name but two. awful books, classic movies.

I quite liked The Phantom Menace too, outside of the whole visit to Tattooine. I just felt that slowed the whole thing down and was trying to force it into our heads that Anakin was this great kid once.

Attack of the Clones was horrific but Revenge of the Sith was definitely one of my favourites, the battle between Obi Wan and Vader made that film!

GavinFlud wrote: »
    I quite liked The Phantom Menace too, outside of the whole visit to Tattooine. I just felt that slowed the whole thing down and was trying to force it into our heads that Anakin was this great kid once.

Attack of the Clones was horrific but Revenge of the Sith was definitely one of my favourites, the battle between Obi Wan and Vader made that film!

I hated it tbh, the more ridiculous they make the lightsaber fights the less they meant. Luke fighting Vader in Empire has way more meaning than three guys who met a few seconds before duelling it out in Episode 1 does, and then in Episode III you have Anakin and Obi Wan jumping off towers and swinging off things drifting around rivers of lava,it was ludicrous.

Best lightsabre fight is Empire, then Jedi, when Luke is taunted by Vader until he snaps and starts battering Vader until he cuts off his hand, brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

krudler wrote: »
    I hated it tbh, the more ridiculous they make the lightsaber fights the less they meant. Luke fighting Vader in Empire has way more meaning than three guys who met a few seconds before duelling it out in Episode 1 does, and then in Episode III you have Anakin and Obi Wan jumping off towers and swinging off things drifting around rivers of lava,it was ludicrous.

Best lightsabre fight is Empire, then Jedi, when Luke is taunted by Vader until he snaps and starts battering Vader until he cuts off his hand, brilliant stuff.

I think a happy mix in between would be ideal.

The fights in the originals lack a bit of panache in what are ostensibly battles between space ninja/wizards.

Darth Maul was a badass. The battle between those three contained virtually the only good parts of the sequel trilogy. Things like throwing the thing at the door to open it, those cartwheely things that Darth Maul does - there's some good material there.

You couldn't really take a battle between an 80 year old Christopher Lee and and bouncing green gremlin seriously though and that's where they really lost the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Why? loads of movies are better than their book counterparts, The Godfather and Jaws to name but two. awful books, classic movies.

Fight Club too. Good book, fantastic movie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

old hippy wrote: »
    Natalie Portman is in Phantom Menace :)

Oh yeah. I must've blanked her out. She wasn't as bad in it as she was in the other two.

• Advertisement

I agree with you when I think about things like Dooku's duel with Obi-Wan and even Yoda's duel with Sidius (though almost every fan wanted to see Yoda wielding his lightsaber at least once). I also loved the Luke and Vader fights, simply because they were more about Luke's anger towards his father rather than two Jedi trying to show off their skills.

Still though, I like the fact that they made use of the better technology and stunt-actors to produce fights like the Darth Maul one and the Obi-Wan/Vader one. It meant they were able to show off Jedi's in their prime displaying the skill and athleticism they are supposed to have.

Advertisement