Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never got the attraction of Star Wars either. It just seemed to be a childish, Barney the Dinosaur take on Sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I find them infuriating to watch. There are plot holes all over the place in the movies, especially with Vader going from getting Sam Jackson to use restraint to full on assassin in a few minutes. It's like the shít in spiderman 3 where he's shown to be evil by having an emo haircut. The character development just takes ridiculous leaps at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Agricola wrote: »
    Never got the attraction of Star Wars either. It just seemed to be a childish, Barney the Dinosaur take on Sci-fi.

I always saw it as Disney in space, and found it ironic when Disney actually bought Lucasfilm and all the Star Wars crap that went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

My brother gave me the earlier 3 films to watch over christmas.
    Got 30 - 40 mins into it, and had to turn it off. I couldn't stick the camp robot lad any longer. I won't be going back to it again.
    I also thought bladerunner was shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

How can you never have seen Star Wars? I never thought people like that existed....I just assumed everyone has seen them...you've never even seen one???? :eek::eek: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Got 30 - 40 mins into it, and had to turn it off. I couldn't stick the camp robot lad any longer. I won't be going back to it again.

Woah, diss Star Wars all you want but Bladerunner is the top drawer.

Ridley Scott really made a hames of things revisiting the Aliens universe for Prometheus, I really hope he doesn't go ahead with the sequel that's being rumoured at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jaxxy wrote: »
    It's Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. You'll see it at the top of the scrolling text at the opening of the film. :p

Only on the later re-releases of the first film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_opening_crawl#Episode_IV_opening_crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

This thread got me thinking, is there a Star Wars sub-section on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Live long and prosper OP!

To infinity and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

robinph wrote: »

Didn't realise that! That can be my something new learned for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How can you never have seen Star Wars? I never thought people like that existed....I just assumed everyone has seen them...you've never even seen one???? :eek::eek: ;)
    I have never watched any parts of the following;

Star Wars.

Star Trek.

Lord of the Rings.

Aliens.

Harry Potter.

Rambo.

I think I watched one of the Die Hards years ago, but can't remember which.

There are probably more but just can't think right now.

I honestly don't feel that I am missing out that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Star wars is great when you're a young fella, however watching them now... lettuce be cereal the Stormtroopers would of massacred those smelly ewoks and made uggs out of their pelts, i wish the empire won... RIP to all the lads who didn't make it off the death star in time you will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This thread got me thinking, is there a Star Wars sub-section on Boards?

Yup.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=150

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

'
    Basically i'm wondering if I should bother me hole

'

I wouldn't suggest you bother your hole watching any movie

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Didn't realise that! That can be my something new learned for today.

Thats when Lucas thought "sequels!" and then did the ole "oh it was always meant to be a trilogy", pfffff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

How come it's set a long time ago....yet everything's futuristic?

...in a galaxy far far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

padd b1975 wrote: »

Star Wars.

Star Trek.

Lord of the Rings.

Aliens.

Harry Potter.

Rambo.

I watched the first Harry Potter and just never got into it so never watched the others. That being said, I don't think I've ever met someone who hasn't seen any Star Wars OR LOTR films. Those films are awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its easy to dismiss the movies now because Lucas has tarnished them so much, but they were a true phenomenon on their original release, skip to about 5.00 into this clip. Cinema audiences, who are jaded now from blockbusters, had literally never seen anything like Star Wars, it changed the face of movies forever, for both good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wouldn't be a massive fan. Grand is all they are. Better than that Hobbit Peter Jackson rot though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never been able to sit through a full one. My wife loves them and could watch them over and over but I just don't see the appeal.

I got a part in some godawful student short film one time and my character was totally obsessed with Star Wars. The director kept making references to bits of the film and just laughing when I said I'd never seen any of them. He eventually realised I was being serious and forced me to watch a few scenes. I could see parts of his soul withering away through his tear-soaked eyes as I just 'meh'ed the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only bad thing about Bladerunner was the weather.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Star wars is alright. The bit where Spock dies is pretty sad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Star Wars.

Star Trek.

Lord of the Rings.

Aliens.

Harry Potter.

Rambo.

You hate film.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GavinFlud wrote: »
    I watched the first Harry Potter and just never got into it so never watched the others. That being said, I don't think I've ever met someone who hasn't seen any Star Wars OR LOTR films. Those films are awesome!
    Not pushed about Star Wars to be honest, but would like to read the LOTR books before watching the films.

Just thought of another 2, the Shreks and the Toy Storys:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not pushed about Star Wars to be honest, but would like to read the LOTR books before watching the films.

Just thought of another 2, the Shreks and the Toy Storys:o

Those Shrek films are terrible. Don't bother with them.
    LOTR films aren't great, books are though.

I've never been able to sit through a full one. My wife loves them and could watch them over and over but I just don't see the appeal.

I got a part in some godawful student short film one time and my character was totally obsessed with Star Wars. The director kept making references to bits of the film and just laughing when I said I'd never seen any of them. He eventually realised I was being serious and forced me to watch a few scenes. I could see parts of his soul withering away through his tear-soaked eyes as I just 'meh'ed the whole thing.

For me, Star Wars really represents the start of that whole kidult thing and the juvenilization of cinema. I think it's fair enough to look back at the original films with a mildly nostalgic glow as being a big part of the childhood and the wonder the special effects inspired. But let's face it, the actual story was a load of poo and the three brought out a couple of years ago were absolute tripe. Watching the Phantom Menace was like having a veil fall from before my eyes as I realised how awful that film was and it hit me like a ton a bricks how corny the other ones were. I really suffered through the other two new ones out of some sense of obligation to my younger self but by the time they were finished I hated my bastarding inner child.

If the original films, without all that hideous re-editing Lucas done a while ago, were on the TV I'd watch them but I wouldn't have a fraction of the affection I had for them that I had before George Lucas started dry-humping their corpses in a bid to get as much money as possible out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The only bad thing about Bladerunner was the weather.:(

....and the 'futuristic' soundtrack.

enda1 wrote: »
    Those Shrek films are terrible. Don't bother with them.
    LOTR films aren't great, books are though.

Well if he doesn't watch them how will he know?

Watch the first Shrek, it's not bad. Some people love it. I'm not really into them myself to be honest.

The first two LOTR movies are fantastic I think. ROTK was just OK I thought.

I'm so glad they left Tom fcuking Bombadil-hole out of the movies!

9959 wrote: »
    ....and the 'futuristic' soundtrack.

Wha? It's one of the most amazing electronic soundtracks out there and has been a massive influence on generations of producers.

• Advertisement

For me, Star Wars really represents the start of that whole kidult thing and the juvenilization of cinema. I think it's fair enough to look back at the original films with a mildly nostalgic glow as being a big part of the childhood and the wonder the special effects inspired. But let's face it, the actual story was a load of poo and the three brought out a couple of years ago were absolute tripe.

The story was brilliant! A classic tale (classic themes anyway) told in the realm of sci-fi set against the backdrop of an inter-plantery war! :)

And it could've been so much better had Lucas done things a bit differently.

Advertisement