Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

So if I was to start watching them I really should start with 5 and 6?

And then watch 1-4 afterwards?

No. If you want to pretend the dire prequels don't exist, start with IV - A New Hope and go from there. The Empire Strikes Back (no. 5) is the best one of the whole lot but in the words of the Kerryman giving directions, I wouldn't start from there if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

It's a cultural touchstone and watching them will allow you be "in" on far more jokes and understand far more cultural references.

For the record, other cultural touchstones that are often referenced (and that you should therefore watch) include:

Citizen Kane
    The Wizard of Oz
    Casablanca
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Gone with the Wind
    Ben-Hur
    Goldfinger (or SOME sort of James Bond movie, but usually the references are to Goldfinger)
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Dirty Harry
    The Exorcist
    The Omen
    Shaft
    The Godfather
    Grease
    The Shining
    Alien
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Indiana Jones movies
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Rocky 1, 2 and 3
    Die Hard
    Top Gun
    Dirty Dancing
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Most of the Disney animated features such as The Lion King, Aladdin, etc
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Toy Story
    Titanic
    The Matrix
    Fight Club
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

This is not necessarily an indication of how good they are, just an indication of how often people make reference to them, like using scenarios from them as metaphors. For example Gladiator is an excellent movie, but very few references are made to it in general conversation, so I didn't list it. But watching THESE movies seems to be "expected" of you - none more so than Star Wars.

Oh, and if you have a girlfriend she's probably going to force you to watch The Notebook at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

OP, I was in the exact same situation as you up until last week. All of my mates in college have been horrified that I'd never seen them, until finally last week one of them sat me down and we watched the first trilogy.

My impression, as a 22 year old seeing them for the first time? Meh. They're alright.

A lot cheesier/more childish than I was expecting, but I suppose that's just that my expectations were off. For some reason I thought they'd be a lot darker, more epic and involving. But yeah, give them a watch, if only to get everybody to shutup.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never seen a full one, started watching a few and lasted maybe half an hour.

Don't see the appeal of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's a childhood thing for most people. The new ones are so bad that they've reduced the appeal of the originals for the current generation. With Disney in charge of the lot (and Star Trek too) I expect something new will have to come along to replace old Star Wars and Trek for our future adults.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

So if I was to start watching them I really should start with 5 and 6?

And then watch 1-4 afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Alien.

Ordinary folks out bring shit home on a freighter.

Forget that Kings and Queens and boy heroes in space shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

It seems a lot people criticise Star Wars because they perhaps were a bit older when they watched it first so it can appear a bit dated, which is fair enough.

However, I also think it's pure lazy to slag the acting, effects etc - these films (I'm disregarding I, II and III) are 30+ years old! They're actually pretty f uking good given that.

George Lucas used actual WWII footage for some of the dogfight scenes in Star Wars, which by the way, was made on a very small budget. It was quite an accomplished piece of film making when you take everything into account.

Simply put - the greatest story of good overcoming evil ever!! :)

PS. Ignore anyone who advises watching the most recent abominations - there's so much wrong with them, boards doesn't have a big enough DB for me to expand!..

..well that and I'm an using a poxy iPhone (loaner)! How on earth are you supposed to get anything done on such a small screen!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I refuse to acknowledge the OP any further until they have watched episodes IV, V and VI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If the director keeps on re-doing them all the time, how good could they have been in the first place? Seriously!

They are a load of cack. If you really want to, watch Spaceballs instead. It's a lot of fun and is basically the same story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thwip! wrote: »

Actually the correct order is 4, 5, 6. The end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I get a worse reaction when i say i cant stand any of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Melion wrote: »
    I get a worse reaction when i say i cant stand any of them.

Would you consider a siteban a worse reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Episodes 1-3 are the BEST. After that, watch Indiana Jones. The Crystal Skull is by far the best Lucas film ever made. It's amazing how he could go back to projects after 20 years and do his best work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    My son absolutely loves StarWars and he's 11. He's loved them since he was about 6. I have watched a couple of the movies as he would have them on a lot but I never really thought much of them if I'm honest.

In fact there was one in the cinema a year or so ago (can't remember which one) in 3D and I brought him to see it and I fell asleep for most of it!! :o

I think it's a male thing. ;)

yeah my 4 year old nephew is starting to really get into it

the original trilogy are the only decent ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    My son absolutely loves StarWars and he's 11. He's loved them since he was about 6. I have watched a couple of the movies as he would have them on a lot but I never really thought much of them if I'm honest.

In fact there was one in the cinema a year or so ago (can't remember which one) in 3D and I brought him to see it and I fell asleep for most of it!! :o

I think it's a male thing. ;)

No. I know plenty of women who love Star Wars and other science fiction, myself included.

I'd definitely recommend watching the original trilogy OP. I saw A New Hope for the first time in full when I was about twelve and it opened up a whole new world of film for me. I do agree to an extent with other posters who say they think it might be a love you carry from childhood but I still think it is something you can enjoy as an adult.

Having said that I did recently try to get my boyf into Star Wars, but some of the magic was lost due to him knowing the entire storyline thanks to Family Guy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

HTML5! wrote: »
    George Lucas used actual WWII footage for some of the dogfight scenes in Star Wars, which by the way, was made on a very small budget. It was quite an accomplished piece of film making when you take everything into account.

He didn't in the final cut. In a rough draft before the film and its special effects were completed he spliced in WW2 dogfight footage to indicated where the fights would go in and he had his special effects team to look at dogfight footage as a guide for what he wanted to get across in the final cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

How come it's set a long time ago....yet everything's futuristic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Chet T16 wrote: »

Now, is it worth watching ET...?

Definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Maire2009 wrote: »
    If only to be hip and cool and down with the kids watch them. Personally I love them.

Hip and down with the kids? What's that all about?

But sure I went to the cinema to see Star Wars in the 70's and 80's, that puts me and all my generation in our 40's & 50's.

I thought kids these days were into the Transporters, Vampires and the animation. My kids wouldn't be seen dead watching a film 20 years old. Whenever I stick on something 'old', I always get the same old groans 'Ahhh Dad, this is so old like you!'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

books4sale wrote: »
    I thought kids these days were into the Transporters, Vampires and the animation.

They're also into the bullying, the facebook, the drugs and the Spongebob. Crazy kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Watch the original trilogy.

This is not a trap.

You'll get that reference after you watch them :)

They're also into the bullying, the facebook, the drugs and the Spongebob. Crazy kids!

I see your point, more teenagers (11-17) from what I hear.

'the Spongebob' though, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Saw empire and jedi loads of times as a kid. Still think they're good. Saw a new hope a few years back - load of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How come it's set a long time ago....yet everything's futuristic?

You left out the Galaxy far far away bit.Ask Stephen Hawking about light years and space travel,that'll explain a lot.........plus it's a science fiction movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

see it, you must

Sh1te, it is.

:P

McGaggs wrote: »
    Saw a new hope a few years back - load of ****e

A 'new hope'? Its called 'Star Wars'!

It was 'Star Wars' we had in block capitals at the front of the cinema in the late 70's. Where's this 'new hope' on the original posters?

What's with this younger generation, always having to rename stuff.

Lansdown Rd is now the Aviva, what bol*x! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Zaph wrote: »
    Actually the correct order is 4, 5, 6. The end.

We have the newer trilogy there, might as well make the best of it.

This is coming from someone who had to put up with Spider-Man 3 and Third x-men film. No sense ignoring them, better to make the best of them. Plus McGregor was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

books4sale wrote: »

A 'new hope'? Its called 'Star Wars'!

It was 'Star Wars' we had in block capitals at the front of the cinema in the late 70's. Where's this 'new hope' on the original posters?

What's with this younger generation, always having to rename stuff.

Lansdown Rd is now the Aviva, what bol*x! :mad:

It's Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. You'll see it at the top of the scrolling text at the opening of the film. :p

Advertisement