Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny gets emotional and cries live on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

The women to whom the apology was made - remember them? - have said:

“This was a deeply meaningful experience for people who never thought they would see this day, and the official apology, come to pass. JFM thanks Mr Kenny on their behalf”

http://www.thejournal.ie/justice-for-magdalenes-welcomes-the-official-state-apology-to-victims-801759-Feb2013/

I know there's a recession, but piss1ng on that in order to get in a dig at Enda Kenny, is just cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

xLexie wrote: »
    He's a homosexual

<3

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Most of the women who passed through these evil places and felt the scowl of the daughters/sisters of Satan will never talk to anyone about it because they know their place! they know not to speak out of turn and certainly never to engage with anyone of substance!

If they never spoke out then today would never have happened!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Some people can see straight through the bullsh1t that is carried out by the called elites in this country

So in other words you are a perpetual moaner. You moaned when enda didn't apologise, now you main that the appology is fake. Moan away, but you aren't fooling anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If they never spoke out then today would never have happened!
    Less than half have spoken about their experiences in a few of the laundries, some laundries were excluded from the report so those women's experiences don't count??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

Most of the women who passed through these evil places and felt the scowl of the daughters/sisters of Satan will never talk to anyone about it because they know their place! they know not to speak out of turn and certainly never to engage with anyone of substance!

I don't know if that's true.

The Magdelene women have shown extraordinary bravery in going public in general. However, I did hear that a number of women felt compelled, for reasons of their own privacy or otherwise, to enter Leinster House by the back gate tonight, which I felt was sad. So you may be correct.

However, there is no reason to believe that those who felt less capable to come forward would feel any differently about the level of sincerityof the Taoiseach's speech than those who did.

Why would there be any likely dichotomy of reaction?

So far, there has been widespread reaction to the speech on radio, television and the print media. But the only people I've seen criticize the speech have been anonymous internet posters with irrelevant quips about the economy, which are totally misplaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Enda sat in 3 governments and lead the 4th that these women appoarched with their case and NOW he gets tearful??? Bull, a cheap and tacky stunt, and instead of having something to announce when he came to the house, he makes them wait, yet again, to hear how they will be compensated.

foggy lad - you are massively underestimating the strength and courage of a lot of these women.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hames wrote: »
    I don't know if that's true.

The Magdelene women have shown extraordinary bravery in going public in general. However, I did hear that a number of women felt compelled, for reasons of their own privacy or otherwise, to enter Leinster House by the back gate tonight, which I felt was sad. So you may be correct.

However, there is no reason to believe that those who felt less capable to come forward would feel any differently about the level of sincerityof the Taoiseach's speech than those who did.

Why would there be any likely dichotomy of reaction?

So far, there has been widespread reaction to the speech on radio, television and the print media. But the only people I've seen criticize the speech have been anonymous internet posters with irrelevant quips about the economy, which are totally misplaced.

I have no real Quips about the economy but I do feel that the current government has dug us out of a dark hole that we dug for ourselves cheered on by success of the Irish Soccer team and fianna fails excesses.

I feel this whole report is a sham and was orchestrated to silence/curb the Victims of the religious orders who enslaved tens of thousands of women and children.

The report is a failure because it found no evidence of profits made or of beatings and the slavery these Irish citizens endured at the hands of the catholic church who were agents of the state!

Only some of the women were invited to take part because not all laundries were included in the report and the serious delays in setting up and starting to talk to the women meant that every year more and more of the victims have died.

Many of the women will never even tell their family or their husbands or children about what happened to them because even now years later they still believe what the nuns told them about how they were stupid, useless, ungrateful, selfish little tramps who disgraced anyone they spoke to and will never amount to anything. Many will be scarred with the stigma of those places for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I feel this whole report is a sham and was orchestrated to silence/curb the Victims of the religious orders who enslaved tens of thousands of women and children.

I've just been listening to RTE Late Debate and somebody representing the Magdalene women said something which wasn't visible on television. The representative said that when the Dáil was giving its standing ovation to the women in the Dáil gallery, the women themselves were on their feet applauding the Dáil.

You are correct to say that not all women were included in the Report, but why should the women from other laundries be less inclined to accept the Taoiseach's apologies? He specifically addressed them in his apology too, quoted their testimony (which didn't make it into the report) and redress will be made available to them.

This may not have been a great report, but it is a great day for these women nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

hames wrote: »
    I've just been listening to RTE Late Debate and somebody representing the Magdalene women said something which wasn't visible on television. The representative said that when the Dáil was giving its standing ovation to the women in the Dáil gallery, the women themselves were on their feet applauding the Dáil.

You are correct to say that not all women were included in the Report, but why should the women from other laundries be less inclined to accept the Taoiseach's apologies? He specifically addressed them in his apology too, quoted their testimony (which didn't make it into the report) and redress will be made available to them.

This may not have been a great report, but it is a great day for these women nonetheless.

There's a lady on Vinny Browne nailing the fudge to the mast right now.

Why no emotion two weeks ago?

He hadn't read the report in full 2 weeks ago. He got it on a Tuesday morning and it wad published that afternoon. It's impossible to read 1000 pages in 3 or 4 hours

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Horrible insincere faker. This repugnant man is everything that is wrong with the country; weak, pandering to his rich cronies, himself included, happy to watch poor people suffer in this country with brutal cuts, yet leave his own kind untouched. He makes me puke, and I threw my sandwich at the TV screen when he was giving that ham performance. No doubt, with people being stupid, his popularity will race back up the polls. It really is time people woke up and saw these charlatans for what they are. Sadly a lot of these survivors are feeble minded from not being able to grow mentally in these concentration camps they were subjected to, and will, sadly swallow Kenny's insincere BS. What a disgusting little man he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

That comment is sickengly condescending and indeed insulting to those women, many of whom have had no problem speaking about their experiences.
    Talk about stealing the pain of others to suit your own warped agenda!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Calling the survivors feeble minded? Good one.

What sort of sandwich?

fatknacker wrote: »
    Calling the survivors feeble minded? Good one.

What sort of sandwich?

Ham, the same as Kenny's acting. FEEBLE MINDED sounds a bit rough in hindsight - undeveloped is perhaps phrasing it better. My heart goes out to these women, but they really need somebody like Higgins to issue the apology, as he is an honorable man, and not out for self-gain like Kenny. Just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

robman60 wrote: »
    I can't believe people are so bloody cynical.
    It was clearly sincere and in no way feigned.

Some people never stop complaining, jeez.

FionnOh wrote: »

And that's how so many lowlife politicians get elected; people can's see beyond a facade of deceit and utter nebbish characteristics. As soon as these people get into power they don't automatically turn into pieces of s**t - they already are pieces of s**t who managed to fool their gullible voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

i believe it was genuine.
    but it was clumsy and embarrassing tbh.

why he couldn't have made an apology from Day 1 in a dignified and manly manner is beyond me.
    no need for all this blubbering nonsense.

say what you want about Cameron, at least he can do a decent apology without all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

space_man wrote: »
    i believe it was genuine.
    but it was clumsy and embarrassing tbh.

why he couldn't have made an apology from Day 1 in a dignified and manly manner is beyond me.
    no need for all this blubbering nonsense.

say what you want about Cameron, at least he can do a decent apology without all that.
    cries!!!damit i read thread title too quick..I thought it said DIES..f.sake ..the disappointment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Listening to it last night, I honestly believe it was genuine emotion. I'm not a big fan of the man in general, but it's hard not to get caught up in the emotion of the issue.

Enough ragging on Enda- he's done exactly what was asked of him (apologised unreservedly for the State's role in the Laundries).

Let's focus on providing support for the survivors and making sure the church has zero hand in any other state dealings. That would be the best tribute to the women who suffered the horrific abuse at the hands of nuns doing "God's work".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The most important aspect of any compensation package is that all money goes to the victims, as little as possible on administration and none (€0.00) goes to the legal profession who have raked in obscene sums of tax dollars via tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

fatknacker wrote: »
    It is better he took the time to read the report properly, discuss it with the survivors and give a genuine apology, instead of a quick reactionary one just to appease the masses.

Or just buy some spin doctor time for speech coaching practice. His initial reaction in the Daíl when the report was released, was very insensitive to say the least. He was condemned for his inital reaction to the report, so yesterdays perfomance was nothing more than a PR excercise in damage limitation and image restoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

It depends on how you define genuine.

If you mean does he feel sad? Yes...he does...but if you mean will he bring those responsible to justice and create a society where it never again happens .....no.

Being genuine is more than feeling. These are crocodille tears not because he is not feeling sad he is....but because he will not put that into action...his own political needs come first..because that is what he is genuine about.

BEING GENUINE INVOLVES HOW YOU ACT AND LIVE WHAT YOU DO NOT UST WHAT YOU FEEL.

He feels sad ..that is lovely..but it is a child's form of genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Edna has been a TD since 1975.

FG spent a fair bit of time in power with Edna as a TD while these slave labour camps operated with their collusion.

Nothing more than crocodile tears from the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Loreida

I thought he did a good job, it seemed genuinely heartfelt to me. Pity he didn't apologise two weeks ago when the McAleese report came out....

The women were very happy and that's all that matter, I guess.

Loreida wrote: »
    I thought he did a good job, it seemed genuinely heartfelt to me. Pity he didn't apologise two weeks ago when the McAleese report came out....

The women were very happy and that's all that matter, I guess.

Yes, a liar, a show boater, a insincere poll gatherer, pandering to the feeble minded, is all that matters. Might as well move on now, you've nailed it.

I can't believe how people get sucked in by these politicians. Most of them are pure SCUM, utter pieces of sh*t. One party of pieces of utter s**t drag a country to its knees, kill people on a hospital trolleys, endless waiting lists for cancer patients, hit the minimum waged - then another shower of filth puke themselves in, breaking every single promise they made pre-election; then comes the PD/Green party in bad suits, Gilmore's shower of scum sucking liars, to prop up the Irish Tory party as they feign tears, cut the elderly to the bone, savage the disabled, and attack the average working man/woman to the point of having to choose between heat that night or a school lunch for their kids.

False platitudes, PLEASE - I'm too long in the tooth to swallow Kenny's BS.

Wake up, people - these assholes are selling our country out to the Germans, safe they will have nice pensions, and leaving us to the wolves. Kenny sucks on every word Merkal tells him. Ever wonder why he doesn't cry about the carer who's allowance is cut to bits looking after their loved one, so they can't work, or the disabled, the elderly who he cut off most of their ESB/PHONE benefits, raised the prescription charges to 3 times the amount, and can't heat their homes.

I'm not a MUG - don't expect me to swallow that revolting excuse for a human beings' tears. If that man had any compassion, he'd look at his friends pockets and not slaughter the most vulnerable peoples, causing all our young to move abroad. But to be CONTENT to watch people die waiting for consultant appointments, well, don't get me started on anger on that one.

PS: I have no party affiliations - I just see what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Wake up, people - these assholes are selling our country out to the Germans, safe they will have nice pensions, and leaving us to the wolves. Kenny sucks on every word Merkal tells him.

What's your problem with that, liebe Berlin at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You're right, I'm glad the traitors in charge of this country are stealing billions off the taxpayer to give to foreign banks. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'd easily say 70% of all moaners are uneducated people, who at best can plaster a house or unclog a shifty toilet.

GTFO with this shit.
    I envy the man that can plaster a house.
    "At best"...... what a prickish thing to say.

Enda was in a position of power in '95.
    See how your snobbish mind ruminates on that.

Advertisement