Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny gets emotional and cries live on TV

Options
  • 19-02-2013 7:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Live on RTE now........

Is it genuine??

Or

Is it just a very good act and pandering to the public???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Not genuine and not a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Pepper has a lot to answer for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Not genuine and not a good actor.

Wonder did he cry at the bailout meeting and his announcement of that in the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭Tefral

paddy147 wrote: »
    Live on RTE now........

Is it genuine??

Or

I call BS on that anyway.

For some reason I can't stand listening to him.

The only good thing to come out of it is at least there is now recognition and that a formal apology was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yes, no one could not be moved by the stories and suffering these women endured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm sure his wage slip will cheer him up, on top of the 'showing up for work' bonus all the lads will get tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I can't believe people are so bloody cynical.
    It was clearly sincere and in no way feigned.

Some people never stop complaining, jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yes, no one could not be moved by the stories and suffering these women endured.

This.

Spend hours listening to the absolute horror stories of some of those women and I'd wager you'd be just as moved and just as genuine.

Don't like the guy but it was an appropriate apology IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fair play to him. I'm not a fan but today he showed grace, dignity and humanity in the apology.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wonder did he cry at the bailout meeting and his announcement of that in the Dail?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fatknacker wrote: »

....yet they didn't include 800 pages of such testimony in the final report.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apology is to be welcomed (and long overdue!) but I don't buy Kenny's "sincerity" at all.. too well timed (as was the theatrical look towards the public gallery just beforehand).

Just hope they get decent compensation for the suffering they endured now so they can live out the remainder of their lives in some sort of comfort and peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I tell you what was annoying.. The TD's mobile phones a) going off and b) interfering with the mics when he was trying to speak... Sister Frances Bernadette would have beaten the crap out of them for that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Nodin wrote: »
    That isn't Enda Kenny's fault. His only fault is that he was naive enough to trust an FFer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I started welling up just about a second before he cried. But if it was a rehearsed speech and he knew that bit was coming, if it was me I probably wouldn't have cried. I don't think he faked it. The mobile phones WERE annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

he didnt cry at all what the hell are you lot on about, he coughed near the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Apology is to be welcomed (and long overdue!) but I don't buy Kenny's "sincerity" at all.. too well timed (as was the theatrical look towards the public gallery just beforehand).

Just hope they get decent compensation for the suffering they endured now so they can live out the remainder of their lives in some sort of comfort and peace.

So you dont think it was genuine then?

Wonder what he cries about next so?

I wouldnt be surprised if someone has placed a bet with paddy Power for what he will cry for and cry over next?????

He's a politician, of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wonder what he cries about next so?

I wouldnt be surprised if someone has placed a bet with paddy Power for what he will cry for and cry over next?????

I think he was well prepared .. in fact just as he looked up I could easily imagine words on the page like..

[look towards public gallery and pause for 3 seconds]

Maybe I'm wrong, but having seen Kenny's public "performances" on almost a daily basis for the last few years I just don't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Enda Kenny gets emotional and cries live on TV

Live on RTE now........

Is it genuine??

Or

That was his cum face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Anyone who thinks it was genuine needs their head checked.Yes the experiences of these women has been horrendous and if anything Fianna Fail should be the party apologising.But the likelihood is,sadly,that Enda Kenny possibly didn't even write the speech personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

If Kenny was genuinly upset and cried , why did he wait til now to do it. He was asked about the laundries nearly on a daily basis for the last week or so and there was no emotion. I say it's for the cameras and the auld ones.
    Inda might get a part in pitch perfect 2 the way he's going!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

This kind of embittered cynicism is very sad.

I believe the Taoiseach spoke humbly and with sincerity. He is not a man to show his emotions, and often comes across as very rehearsed, but that was not rehearsed. He was visibly trying to avoid emotion. Accounts of his visit to the London ex Magdalene women say he spent three hours with them on the weekend and cried with them, listening to their stories.

Such cynicism that the Taoiseach could find this emotional borders on a belittlement of the scale of what happened.

As a Catholic I can only wish some senior figures in the Church would show similar sincerity and ask these women for their forgiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

He seemed genuine to me, it is an emotional story and he has spoken to some of the women so he knows what it was like for them.
    I know we all like to have a go at politicians but maybe this time he is acting as a concerned citizen rather than leader of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth
    The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south
    And now you dare to look me in the eye
    Those crocodile tears are what you cry
    It's a genuine problem, you won't try
    To work it out at all you just pass it by, pass it by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Nodin wrote: »

That doesn't mean he doesn't feel genuine remorse from what he has heard. He is a person first and listening to the first hand accounts from the survivors can only naturally provoke the same feelings as the Ryan and Murphy reports to anyone who has had the displeasure of reading them.

To be fair to him, he's not a robot. No doubt he feels the emotions involved in this terrible & tragic story.

However, I'd be very surprised if this speech wasn't handed to him pre-written by a speech writer. I'm sure he read through it numerous times before it made it to being live on tv. I wouldn't buy into the crying thing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Only fair really. He makes me cry every time I see him on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 KittyChai

Hmmmm Fine Gael are struggling in the popularity polls! He saw what shedding a few correctly timed tears did for Obama and took a leaf outta his book!!

Advertisement