Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny gets emotional and cries live on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Well Ted, I'm very cynical as you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

You would need a heart of stone not to be moved by those stories that he mentioned, which he obviously heard in full and first-hand.

The weight and import of what he was saying obviously overcame him; delivering a speech outlining the apology and the way in which the government intend to recompense the survivors, witnessed by a packed Dail and broadcast live. It was momentous to say the least, and a long time coming. The man is only human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

EnterNow wrote: »
    To be fair to him, he's not a robot. No doubt he feels the emotions involved in this terrible & tragic story.

However, I'd be very surprised if this speech wasn't handed to him pre-written by a speech writer. I'm sure he read through it numerous times before it made it to being live on tv. I wouldn't buy into the crying thing at all

I'm sure he did not write the speech but i think his emotions did get the better of him, did he not cry at the politicians funeral as well a few month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

hames wrote: »
    He is not a man to show his emotions, and often comes across as very rehearsed, but that was not rehearsed.

ok and you know this how??

get up the road if ya want people to think this fool does anything of his own accord!! his speeches, especially highly sensitive ones like this are completely pre-planned, with every blink and twitch worked out before hand, that's the joys of politics for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I didn't see it, but I find it hard to believe it was completely genuine and heartfelt given his prior stonewall approach to dealing with the issue of an apology. It's not cynicism either. Fair play for the apology but it should have come on the day he read the report.. not after weeks of preparation and advice from spin merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

HondaSami wrote: »
    I'm sure he did not write the speech but i think his emotions did get the better of him, did he not cry at the politicians funeral as well a few month ago.

Was that on TV?

mikom wrote: »
    Was that on TV?

this is a very sensitive issue he was speaking of but your post made me

ahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I didn't see it, but I find it hard to believe it was completely genuine and heartfelt given his prior stonewall approach to dealing with the issue of an apology. It's not cynicism either. Fair play for the apology but it should have come on the day he read the report.. not after weeks of preparation and advice from spin merchants.

It is better he took the time to read the report properly, discuss it with the survivors and give a genuine apology, instead of a quick reactionary one just to appease the masses.

He even said he was going to go through the full report in two weeks time (two weeks ago). I don't know why people are getting their big brown panties in a twist over it. There were plenty of things going on when the report was published and I would rather he had the time to give his full attention to the matter, it has been 90 years coming, two weeks more isn't going to make it less genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

G Power wrote: »

get up the road if ya want people to think this fool does anything of his own accord!! his speeches, especially highly sensitive ones like this are completely pre-planned, with every blink and twitch worked out before hand, that's the joys of politics for ya

To be fair, on his last performances I do not think any amout of teaching could perfect him to be able to perform to this level, one of the reasons he hid form the people before the last election was he could not connect with the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Was that on TV?

It was on my TV anyway dunno about yours unless we were watching the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Same as everything in this country... Nobody is held to account and the taxpayer foots the bill..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I'm giving my opinion. Same thing you did when you said
    his speeches, especially highly sensitive ones like this are completely pre-planned, with every blink and twitch worked out before hand

To be fair, on his last performances I do not think any amout of teaching could perfect him to be able to perform to this level, one of the reasons he hid form the people before the last election was he could not connect with the people.

it will give ya an insight into how bad politics and politicians have let things slip when even if he had cried us a river we'd have no way of knowing if he was genuine!!
    the world is upside down and those currently in charge if fixing it are not to be trusted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That was his cum face.
    Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I don't think it matters what you think of Enda Kenny personally, if he actually wrote the speech himself or if he cried or coughed. It fell to him, as current Taoiseach, to make this apology on behalf of the State, the government and us.

Should he take it back and kick the reports and apologies down the road for a future leader we approve of?

The only reviews I'm interested in are those of the Magdalen women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

He might be a politician but that doesn't make him a robot, cop yourself on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

ColeTrain wrote: »

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I bet he was rubbing vicks under his eyes when no one was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Bull **** , poor actor to be frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Never mind Enda. The disgrace of the attire Wallace and Claire Daly wore to the reading of this report. A luminous polo shirt on him and fùcking sunglasses on her.

Have they no respect for Dáil Éireann?

• Advertisement

it will give ya an insight into how bad politics and politicians have let things slip when even if he had cried us a river we'd have no way of knowing if he was genuine!!
    the world is upside down and those currently in charge if fixing it are not to be trusted!!

So they fix it but are not to be trusted, hemmm does not compute, scenario,

they did fook all and they lied they are not to be trusted,

they did something and said sorry, they are not to be trusted, if I am not wrong it is something the people of Ireland are and have been crying out for, disclosure,

it has to start somewhere, for the politicians (not the right people to run a country, economy,) to understand to tell the people what is really going on will not kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Never mind Enda. The disgrace of the attire Wallace and Claire Daly wore to the reading of this report. A luminous polo shirt on him and fùcking sunglasses on her.

Have they no respect for Dáil Éireann?
    Must be bloodshot after a night on the razzle.

So they fix it but are not to be trusted, hemmm does not compute, scenario,

they did fook all and they lied they are not to be trusted,

they did something and said sorry, they are not to be trusted, if I am not wrong it is something the people of Ireland are and have been crying out for, disclosure,

it has to start somewhere, for the politicians (not the wright people to run a country, economy,) to understand to tell the people what is really going on will not kill them.

you are right and i look forward to the day that politicians have enough fear of the public backlash to give us honest efforts and answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I dont think kenny would have the skills to actually fake it, btw people are making it like he actaully broke down and cry, He had a little emotional stutter at the end of his speech and had to clear his throat, For those that missed it

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Bull **** , poor actor to be frank

You are shameless.

ColeTrain wrote: »

would ya stop!! if he was any stiffer we'd be laying him out across scaffolding

edit. if there was any building going on that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I dont think kenny would have the skills to actually fake it, btw people are making it like he actaully broke down and cry, He had a little emotional stutter at the end of his speech and had to clear his throat, For those that missed it

Fair play to him if it was genuine. Would have though he'd cry while he wrote the speech.

Couldn't even see his mascara run

squod wrote: »
    Fair play to him if it was genuine. Would have though he'd cry while he wrote the speech.

Couldn't even see his mascara run

Bertie was the man for the makeup, 37k in one year, but he looked lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A luminous polo shirt on him and fùcking sunglasses on her.

TBH I'd be wearing sunglasses next to that luminous polo shirt.

Derek Zoolander himself.
    A eugoogoolizer... one who speaks at funerals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'd say he though of the cost of compensation and got choked up a little.

Advertisement