Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear an Easter Lily?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

wolfpawnat wrote: »

That's fair enough too. Amazing stories in your family no doubt :D

Aye.. fair amount of bitterness too, mind :pac:

That's what I hate most about this type of discussion. Bunkering down on any one 'side' will end up sucking the life out of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That's exactly the point, when you encompass both communities into one symbol you deny them one more thing to hate each other over.

Yes it does.

So you think these people should receive cash and aid?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/18/colonial-office-eliminations-malayan-insurgency

And do you think wars to sustain an empire are somehow justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

lockon... wrote: »
    Go to a national graveyard and look for the graves which say "Maintained by NGA" and you'll recognise the balaclava wearers.

Does that take anything away from these heroes??? these guys didn't wear anything but pride and love for there country...

If the NGA didnt look after the graves they would be let rot away and forgotten about ... something you and the other fools obviously wouldn't care about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As smebody who always wears a poppy, I would have no problem with somebody wearing an Easter Lily anymore, specially after the Queens visit and the new complex understandings we now have as Irish people. Not so long ago I would have hissed and tut tutted (internally) if I saw somebody wearing an Easter Lily, so it seems (like most folk) I've mellowed and made progress since peace broke out, and the Queen worked her magic . . .

There are of course some hardline Lily wearing IRA N types who keep banging on about Mayalasia, Kenya, Iraq, and so on, who will never ease off on their hatred for the Poppy and the Hundreds of thousands of Irish men that symbol represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Aye.. fair amount of bitterness too, mind :pac:

That's what I hate most about this type of discussion. Bunkering down on any one 'side' will end up sucking the life out of you!

I have a friend, his parents were getting married and his two grandfathers were talking. It came to light one was a RUC officer who worked in a barracks that was raided in the War of Independence, the other was in the group that did the raid! This was revealed in the afters of the wedding! I could well imagine it would have been an interesting evening after that. :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

gallag wrote: »
    Image being told to go over the top, to certain doom. every body of every man who went before you without returning still there.

There's a very poignant clip of a WW1 over-the-top and one poor guy doesn't even get out of the trench (must have taken a bullet in the face) so he can die alongside his mates.

Horrible waste of life in a meat-grinder of a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

LordSutch wrote: »
    As smebody who always wears a poppy, I would have no problem with somebody wearing an Easter Lilly anymore, specially after the Queens visit and the new complex understandings we now have as Irish people.

Not so long ago I would have hissed and tut tutted (internally) if I saw somebody wearing an Easter Lilly, so it seems (like most folk) I've mellowed and made progress since peace broke out, and the Queen worked her magic . . .

Don't worry, I'd be doing it to you too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    No but denying them the money is an internal matter.

And do you think wars to sustain an empire are somehow justified?
    No but again for God only knows how many times the poppy is not a British symbol.

There are of course some hardline Lily wearing IRA N types who keep banging on about Mayalasia, Kenya, Iraq, and so on, who will never ease off on their hatred for the Poppy and the Hundreds of thousands of Irish men that symbol represents.

'Anti-imperialists'. Could have save yerself a lot typing there.

No but denying them the money is an internal matter..

As many of these events were either condoned or a matter of policy, they won't be denied any benefits whatsoever.
    No but again for God only knows how many times the poppy is not a British symbol.

...which, as the only one sold here is the British legion one, is rather irrelevant.

• Advertisement

And here he is, bang (excuse the pun) on time . . .

Always wondered me old 'hero' do you guys wear those black berrets & sunglasses at the weekends? or are they just for formal events?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have often worn one and taken part in many commemorations and marches in support of the men and women of this country who died for our country's independence.

Having said that we've made some balls of it since.

As many of these events were either condoned or a matter of policy, they won't be denied any benefits whatsoever.
    What do you want to do? Persecute soldiers carrying out their orders? They had no choice, persecute the top brass but again that's an internal matter for the British, none of our business.

...which, as the only one sold here is the British legion one, is rather irrelevant.
    What If I started selling poppies and gave the money to the Irish veterans (I'm sure there's some organisation) would you wear the poppy then?

Always wondered me old 'hero' do you guys wear those black berrets & sunglasses at the weekends? or are they just for formal events?

are you irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

I have never worn them.

What do you want to do? Persecute soldiers carrying out their orders? They had no choice, persecute the top brass but again that's an internal matter for the British, none of our business.

Yet you have no problem with organisations soliciting funds over here for them.
    What If I started selling poppies and gave the money to the Irish veterans (I'm sure there's some organisation) would you wear the poppy then?

Only if it was (a) dedicated to the Irish who've died in ww1, ww2 and for the Irish Defence Forces (b) clearly distinguishable from the RBL one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

lockon... wrote: »
    and the Queen worked her magic . . .

Yes, magic alright, saying as the half of Ireland swallowed her hollow words and disregarded the fact that her forces are still bombing and terrorising people into the acceptence of their 'gifts' around the world.

Yet you have no problem with organisations soliciting funds over here for them.
    So you want to toss out the whole apple cart over a few bad ones. Doesn't work like that.
    Only if it was (a) dedicated to the Irish who've died in ww1, ww2 and for the Irish Defence Forces (b) clearly distinguishable from the RBL one.
    A. Yes it would.
    B. No it wouldn't that would defeat the purpose. The poppy is not a British symbol. Part of it would be reclaiming this international symbol as our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

As smebody who always wears a poppy, I would have no problem with somebody wearing an Easter Lily anymore, specially after the Queens visit and the new complex understandings we now have as Irish people. Not so long ago I would have hissed and tut tutted (internally) if I saw somebody wearing an Easter Lily, so it seems (like most folk) I've mellowed and made progress since peace broke out, and the Queen worked her magic . . .

I forgot that it was the Queen we had to thank for the mellowing of tensions between our two Nations.

As for the hardliners who, as you say, bang on about some of the less than admirable actions of the British Military, one can hardly argue that these people have some kind of unique viewpoint. Hell, It hardly takes an Irish Nationalist to look beyond the tropes of Jingoism and have even an inkling of critical insight.

Personally, I wouldn't wear either the Poppy or the Lilly, for I've never been one for pinning my Political affiliations on my lapel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

What if I made poppies, sold them and donated the money to the Irish armed forces. How would you view the poppy? It obviously isn't a British symbol then. Would you wear one? What if I stamped a republican symbol on it?

You keep repeating this as if it's some kind of great point you're making. It's not. If you made your own unofficial poppy, symbolising something else and sending the money elsewhere with a republican stamp on it then it wouldnt be a poppy would it. You'd just be some loon going round selling a badge promising to give the money to the defence forces.

What point are you trying to make here. it's nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Happyman42 wrote: »

Yes, magic alright, saying as the half of Ireland swallowed her hollow words and disregarded the fact that her forces are still bombing and terrorising people into the acceptence of their 'gifts' around the world.
    Sad. Serious question, what would it take to get you to move on? Are you not happy at the chance for our countries to build bridges? Was proud watching the queen bow in the garden of remembrance.

You keep repeating this as if it's some kind of great point you're making. It's not. If you made your own unofficial poppy, symbolising something else and sending the money elsewhere with a republican stamp on it then it wouldnt be a poppy would it. You'd just be some loon going round selling a badge promising to give the money to the defence forces.

What point are you trying to make here. it's nonsensical.
    I don't intend to repeat it it just keeps coming up.

Republican: The poppy is a British symbol.
    Me: No it's not. It's international.
    Republican: It's British here because only the British sell them.
    Me: Since anyone can sell them they aren't British, here or anywhere.
    Republican: The poppy is a British symbol.
    Ad infinitum.

So you want to toss out the whole apple cart over a few bad ones. Doesn't work like that.

The whole enterprise of the cart was a rotten one. Why should I support veterans of imperial/colonial wars?
    A. Yes it would.
    B. No it wouldn't that would defeat the purpose. The poppy is not a British symbol. Part of it would be reclaiming this international symbol as our own.

This is a nice design. I like it.
    http://www.bikers-stuffwholesale.com/catalog/IronCrossEmbeddedSkull.jpg

I won't wear it or anything like it, nor have tattoos like it, because its associated with the far right. The poppy in this part of the world is associated with the British army, and funding the veterans of its imperialist conflicts. As a result, I won't wear it (though if the funds were for whats described, I would donate the cash).

philologos wrote: »
    I'm not very patriotic so no. I was born in Ireland it was a hood place to grow up in but the truth is if God willed it I could have been born in Botswana.

You do wear the Poppy, though.

I recall it being something very dear to your heart.

gallag wrote: »
    Sad. Serious question, what would it take to get you to move on? Are you not happy at the chance for our countries to build bridges? Was proud watching the queen bow in the garden of remembrance.

F*Ck her and everything she stands for. They have done far far far too much to be forgiven especially when all she has done is a PR stunt in the Garden of Remembrance and muttered a few words in Irish... you have fools like Mary Mcaleese in awe of the whole thing... it makes me cringe when i hear here say "wow" about 3 times... its an act, open your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The poppy is not a British symbol. Part of it would be reclaiming this international symbol as our own.

http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/education/public/media/PS44_large.jpg

This is the National American Legion poppy. As you can plainly see it's a different badge, from a different organisation representing something completely different to the british one.
    The one we see here, indeed the only one that you can get here, is indeed a British symbol, property of the Royal british Legion and representative of the british army (not civilians killed in war) and all their actions from 1914 onwards with the proceeds going to british soldiers.

Now will you quit this rubbish that the poppy is some sort of non-partisan symbol that we can all unite behind

Lome wrote: »
    are you irish?

Yeah, I know, weird isnt it!

An Irish person who didn't support the Provisional IRA :confused:

donvito99 wrote: »
    Crooked Jack

I see...

Don't let your myopic World-View get in the way of a good argument!

Well no. Its the whole southern unionist thing people get hung up over.

• Advertisement

no an irish person who quiet obviously is ashamed of where he is from... i suppose you think the GAA is a backwards organisation... you just seem like u are anti - Irish... bit of a be!! end to be fair

Advertisement