Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Soups123 wrote: »
    She could have finished today if she really wanted, she has completed her reading of the material so her mind is made up, why get this far and say wait until tomorrow for the finale.

TBH I'm more pissed about the verdicts so far than the delay

There is still another three charges to be dealt with after the culpable homicide one is given. She'd not have completed all of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Soups123 wrote: »
    why get this far and say wait until tomorrow for the finale.

I dunno. Because the prosecution possibly raised an issue prior to coming back in after lunch? Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes except for the judge and the legal teams.

Just find the hyberbole about her not resolving it today a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MadYaker wrote: »
    I always knew he was innocent, what an inspirational man.

Yes, he's everything that a kid should aspire to

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL6N0M21ST20140305

A gentleman and a scholar

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/07/oscar-pistorius-gun-car-sunroof-ex-girlfriend-court

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mezcita wrote: »
    I dunno. Because the prosecution possibly raised an issue prior to coming back in after lunch? Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes except for the judge and the legal teams.

Just find the hyberbole about her not resolving it today a bit strange.
    Maybe some agreement or bargain was offered by the prosecutors once they saw that their murder charges had been shot down, e.g. "Plead guilty to culpable homicide and we'll drop the rest of the charges".
    So the judge may have decided it was relevant to finish reading the judgement up to the point she did and then allow for court to finish so that the defence team could make an overnight decision.

Just throwing stuff out there.

Or maybe they just didn't want to have people spend a whole day sitting in a hot and tense courtroom. As the day wore on, the tension would build, possibly with people losing the plot in the courtroom. Give it a break overnight and you can deliver final verdicts in a notably less tense environment tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

seamus wrote: »
    Or maybe they just didn't want to have people spend a whole day sitting in a hot and tense courtroom. As the day wore on, the tension would build, possibly with people losing the plot in the courtroom. Give it a break overnight and you can deliver final verdicts in a notably less tense environment tomorrow.

Surely she should have also considered that there are quite a few people on the internet with pretty short attention spans that wanted the verdict today?

Especially when she's already offened most of those people by finding OP innocent of the murder charges.

Justice System in SA is some kind of joke!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems that twitter people quickly change their mind about someone:
    Pierre de Vos, Cape Town University law professor tweets: Dear tweeps. By all means critique the #OscarTrial judgment and application of the law. Not cool to launch ad hominem attacks on the judge.

Wasn't everyone raving about the judge until this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

robinph wrote: »
    Seems that twitter people quickly change their mind about someone:

Wasn't everyone raving about the judge until this morning?

That's bad.

We still don't even know the full verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Surely she should have also considered that there are quite a few people on the internet with pretty short attention spans that wanted the verdict today?

Tweet length judgements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Oscar is a lucky boy in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

A foregone conclusion really - he didn't plan to murder her, he lost the plot and shot her - it will be a manslaughter verdict imo:(

• Advertisement

Pumza Fihlani, Pretoria High Court BBC News South Africa's legal system has also been on trial over the last six months and many believe the athlete is getting off lightly, possibly because of his fame. But legal experts argue that the judge has merely followed the law and the evidence before her. The onus was on the state to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt, which the judge said it had failed to do.

Just had a look at the twitter and the masses do seem to be getting a bit upset at the verdict so far. I guess most people were listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Especially when she's already offened most of those people by finding OP innocent of the murder charges.

Justice System in SA is some kind of joke!

Man with cash and access to top level lawyers dodges the main charge. Nothing unusual there, I'm afraid.

I guess most people were listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?

No its probably a bit unfair to say that.

Most people probably haven't been following as closely as others and probably don't know much about the law and not SA law (I certainly know feck all about either). They just see a guy who shot his girlfriend 4 times and that he should be locked up (not too outlandish of an opinion to have).

The media have jumped in with Not Guilty headlines all over the place, and if they haven't been following, or don't read the articles they don''t know that its not over yet, and OP could still see the inside of a jail cell (unlikely probably)...

Not making excuses for them, if they don't know what you are talking about, they shouldn't be tweeting on the subject and attacking the judge. Most tweeters of this type are just band wagon jumpers, quick to weight in online on what ever is popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

People without any fame are found innocent of murder charges every day.

How do they fit into your theory?
    They're innocent. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Not making excuses for them, if they don't know what you are talking about, they shouldn't be tweeting on the subject and attacking the judge. Most tweeters of this type are just band wagon jumpers, quick to weight in online on what ever is popular.

Or as they are more commonly known, morons.

Nodin wrote: »
    Man with cash and access to top level lawyers dodges the main charge. Nothing unusual there, I'm afraid.

I thought Nel was supposed to be the top laywer?

Roux was really a bit rubbish, but he didn't need to be that great in fairness as it was down to Nel being able to put forward a case beyond reasonable doubt which he failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

This may be a bit cynical on my part but do you think this case would be as big as it is now if the girl wasn't a model?
    The media circus that surrounds it not the trial, that would probably be more or less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Rory28 wrote: »
    This may be a bit cynical on my part but do you think this case would be as big as it is now if the girl wasn't a model?
    The media circus that surrounds it not the trial, that would probably be more or less the same.

more so as a result of who he is, more then who she is, imo

Roux was really a bit rubbish, but he didn't need to be that great in fairness as it was down to Nel being able to put forward a case beyond reasonable doubt which he failed to do.

Watching the trial, I really thought Nel did well and Roux did terrible.

Roux had utter buffoons as expert witnesses. Geologists talking about forensics and ballistics. Deaf guys doing sound tests, people testifying that OP was heartbroken, etc. Nonsense in some cases.

Nel alone was more convincing than any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just had a look at the twitter and the masses do seem to be getting a bit upset at the verdict so far. I guess most people were listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?
    As mentioned, it looks like a lot of people didn't follow the case at all but rather made up their minds at the start and stuck with it.

There's a huge number of people protesting about violence against women which illustrates the volume of ignorance and single-mindedness there is about this case.

We see it here on boards too; how many posters were/are certain everything he said is a prefabricated lie and he shot her down in cold blood, even though they have zero evidence of that.

• Advertisement

Roux had utter buffoons as expert witnesses. Geologists talking about forensics and ballistics. Deaf guys doing sound tests, people testifying that OP was heartbroken, etc. Nonsense in some cases.

Yep, Nel did very well. But he was starting from a very weak position thanks to incompetent investigating officers and a lack of any real evidence to work with. He did much better than Roux, but will come out of this appearing to have lost despite doing a better job.

This is our OJ Simpson.

This is our OJ Simpson.

OJ was our OJ. Now we might have an OP too. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I agree, but the judge placed great weight on one of those testimonies today. The first man on the scene testified that Oscar was distraught, imploring to God and trying to resuscitate Reeva, and the judge deemed this as adequate evidence of his immediate remorse.

Now I know his was an eye witness account as opposed to the conflicting ear witness accounts which were dismissed by her, but I still think it strange that it carries so much weight. He could have shot her with intent and still be imploring, distraught and trying to revive her. That is a plausible reaction of someone who has committed a crime of passion just as much as one who has made a grave error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

If the Shoe don't Fit........you must Acquit!

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Rory28 wrote: »

I agree If this was a overweight unattractive random girl. People would not care as much. It happens all over the world. If a cute little blonde girl goes missing, the media can't get enough of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Will the victims family have grounds to appeal a verdict of culpable homicide? It doesn't make sense to call the accused a liar, say that when he fired 4 bullets into the toilet cubicle he couldn't have known he would have killed someone, etc. She's described him as being evasive and called the whole incident peculiar. Yet, in all of that she's found him not guilty of murder and in all likelihood, he may very well not go to jail.

Will the victims family have grounds to appeal a verdict of culpable homicide? It doesn't make sense to call the accused a liar, say that when he fired 4 bullets into the toilet cubicle he couldn't have known he would have killed someone, etc. She's described him as being evasive and called the whole incident peculiar. Yet, in all of that she's found him not guilty of murder and in all likelihood, he may very well not go to jail.

Have to agree. Its an awful contradiction.

Sky news said, it could end up that its the State that appeals whatever verdict is coming.

The state might have reason to appeal, but Reevas family wouldn't as they are not the ones pressing the charges.

Could have gone either way on the murder charge and Nel could have done a better job of making that charge stick. Think they would have to come up with something new though to challenge it. If the two people over seeing things next to the judge don't see any issue with what she is saying based on the case presented I'm not sure what they could challenge.

Don't know if they would have already gone through the process of the other judges accepting the decision or if that happens afterwards though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is our OJ Simpson.

I knew I recognised that accent - this was all down in Cork, wasn't it.

Advertisement