Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Myself and my girlfriend have been having an argument over the past week about how best to celebrate St Pancake's Day. Maybe someone here can help.

The issue here is sugar. My faith demands that sugar be added to the mix. The mix should be thick so that when fried correctly, there should a gooey layer in the centre.

In her heretical interpretation, there should be no sugar added - sweetness is to be sprinkled on top after frying. I think this is nonsense.

So, which is the correct way?

(I have to leave my keyboard for a bit but I should be back later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Myself and my girlfriend have been having an argument over the past week about how best to celebrate St Pancake's Day. Maybe someone here can help.

The issue here is sugar. My faith demands that sugar be added to the mix. The mix should be thick so that when fried correctly, there should a gooey layer in the centre.

In her heretical interpretation, there should be no sugar added - sweetness is to be sprinkled on top after frying. I think this is nonsense.

So, which is the correct way?

(I have to leave my keyboard for a bit but I should be back later)

No sugar added.

You can add sugar and lemon after they are cooked. - I put lemon on then I lay it onto a plate full of sugar. Roll it up and eat before it goes cold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No sugar added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ahh lads, this thread has made me laugh, cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Balls! I think I'm going to have to admit that I was wrong. I don't really like that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sugar added, but the pancake should not be thick. More sugar is added afterward along with lemon juice. I also like them just with butter. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Blackcurrant jam is my only topping. But as to how pancakes are "made", made???, they just appear on my plate brought forth by the birth giver. I don't dare question how they came to exist. Even during years I'm not living at home the family gather for pancake Tuesday, even if it's just a cultural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

aaakev wrote: »
    Pancake tuesday is a religious thing????!!!
    Did you not read that part of the bible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Every Tuesday should be Pancake Tuesday, the world would be a happier place, and there would be less fighting and stuff.

There'd also be considerably more obesity.

This is the recipe I use:

American Style Buttermilk Pancakes

I serve them with chopped up banana, natural yoghurt and honey.

If I'm making "proper" pancakes I have them with Jam or else lemon, sugar and cinnamon.

Omnomnmonmonomononmonmonmnmnmonmon

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Patr2

YOU HAVE TO honor the great tradition that is pancake Tuesday..
    Does anyone have any crazy toppings that they have on their pancakes?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ice cream and 100s and 1000s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This time I'm going to try Cadbury's Creme Eggs as a topping. If you don't see me posting by Wednesday, assume the worst, but take solace in the fact that I died happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Did you not read that part of the bible ?
    Im not into fairytails tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We'll be having ours the traditional atheist way, with a side order of tasty, tasty tiny preshus dead baaaaabieeees. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Squarewave, I have unashamedly copied your post verbatim to my facebook status. It's just too funny not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Patr2 wrote: »
    YOU HAVE TO honor the great tradition that is pancake Tuesday..
    Does anyone have any crazy toppings that they have on their pancakes?!

I've just finished my breakfast pancake, and later for my dinner in work I've made a pancake with mince, onion, peppers and spinach with soy sauce, honey and lemon juice. Not sure whether to go sweet or savoury for my after-work pancake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I'm here trying to make atheist pancakes, but I forgot the baby-flavoured chocolate mix. Anyone know if Tescos or Dunnes still stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

mehfesto wrote: »
    I'm here trying to make atheist pancakes, but I forgot the baby-flavoured chocolate mix. Anyone know if Tescos or Dunnes still stock it?

They only sell the powdered stuff. It's not very tasty though, can't beat organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

No, but you can get it on the high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Yes, but it probably contains horse babies instead of human babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Sarky wrote: »
    This time I'm going to try Cadbury's Creme Eggs as a topping. If you don't see me posting by Wednesday, assume the worst, but take solace in the fact that I died happy.

Well done you! - two religious celebrations in one pancake. Are you sure you're not Catholic?
    Hope you survived it anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gbear wrote: »
    There'd also be considerably more obesity.

This is the recipe I use:

American Style Buttermilk Pancakes

I serve them with chopped up banana, natural yoghurt and honey.

If I'm making "proper" pancakes I have them with Jam or else lemon, sugar and cinnamon.

Omnomnmonmonomononmonmonmnmnmonmon

I disagree, surely you can make healthy pancakes. Besides, it would only be every tuesday.. toast isn't all that for peep healths but they be eating it anyway, ya know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sarky wrote: »

Oh man.

That was... Well, transcendent. But srsly you probably shouldn't have more than, say, two...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

My OH tried to make chocolate fudge on Monday night, but it didn't set properly, so we wound up with an incredibly thick, rich chocolate sauce to out on our pancakes, which I call a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I heard on the radio that 96% of people eat pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. I'm not sure how accurate this statistic is but the Church must be sickened that 96% of people eat pancakes on the Tuesday and probably another 96% eat meat on the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

If you have an opinion, post it here. You're not supposed to use this site to direct traffic towards your own site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Sorry, didnt know. I'll take care from now on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lahalane - I've removed your blog link as it's clearly being pimped.

It is however, a simple job to include it in your sig. Feel free to do so. As long as your future posts are more than just a way of exposing your blog, then we'll have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

This question comes up at every holiday. If I want to give gifts in December and eat chocolate on Easter why not? These festival dates have been stolen before so why not hold onto the good aspects while dumping the religious baggage. Evolution of holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

This question comes up at every holiday. If I want to give gifts in December and eat chocolate on Easter why not? These festival dates have been stolen before so why not hold onto the good aspects while dumping the religious baggage. Evolution of holidays!

Advertisement