Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

Do you bother with it?
    Is it an excuse to eat pancakes and more of a cultural tradition then a religions one; like Fat Tuesday?
    Or another christian tradition you've no time for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

PANCAEK!!!!!11!!1!1!!ELEVENTY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Pancake tuesday is a religious thing????!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sure if it's pancake tuesday it should be fat wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Morag wrote: »
    Do you bother with it?
    Is it an excuse to eat pancakes and more of a cultural tradition then a religions one; like Fat Tuesday?
    Or another christian tradition you've no time for?

Ahem, to clarify:

I <3 pancakes. I had some for breakfast this morning. Pancake Tuesday is just another excuse to eat pancakes. Religion no longer has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

aaakev wrote: »
    Pancake tuesday is a religious thing????!!!

Wasn't it a way of getting rid of all the tempting stuff before lent began? So in a roundabout way its got links to religion but feck that, I am having my pancakes on Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Pancake tuesday IS Fat tuesday AKA Mardi gras.
    How can the last day before lent be anything but religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Cedrus wrote: »
    Pancake tuesday IS Fat tuesday AKA Mardi gras.
    How can the last day before lent be anything but religious?
    By being cultural?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I use it as an excuse to eat pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Pushtrak wrote: »
    By being cultural?

Religious culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I use it as an excuse to eat pancakes, just like how I use xmas day as an excuse to crack open the first beer of the day at 10am and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

I think most people have lost sight of the true meaning of the day

Pancake Tuesday is actually about remembering St. Pancake who was martyred in 100AD when he was coated in batter, fried and lightly drizzled with maple syrup by the Romans.

I for one will continue to honour St. Pancake by frying small effigies of him and consuming them, then by the magic of transubstantiation they will be transformed into the tasty flesh of St. Pancake himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Squarewave wrote: »

Pancake Tuesday is actually about remembering St. Pancake who was martyred in 100AD when he was coated in batter, fried and lightly drizzled with maple syrup by the Romans.

I for one will continue to honour St. Pancake by frying small effigies of him and consuming them, then by the magic of transubstantiation they will be transformed into the tasty flesh of St. Pancake himself.

You forgot to mention he was whisked away before being beaten to death by them, but otherwise historically accurate and well said.

The only problem I have with Pancake Tuesday is that it doesn't happen enough. Every Tuesday should be Pancake Tuesday, the world would be a happier place, and there would be less fighting and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

MetalDog wrote: »
    I use it as an excuse to eat pancakes, just like how I use xmas day as an excuse to crack open the first beer of the day at 10am and get away with it.

And easter to have three meals of solid chocolate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I don't like pancakes. I think they taste crepe.

:pac:

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I love Shrove. When I was a kid I looked forward to it with glee. And I still use it as an excuse for pancakes.
    However, just as important is today Collop Monday. Today was the day you consumed all the meat in the house before Lent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Squarewave wrote: »

Heresy! No true Roman would put anything other than sugar and lemon juice on his Pancake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have to say i never made any connection between religion and eating pancakes - but now that i have i will be boycotting stuffing my face as usual.
    Praise jesus for pancakes:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I love pancake day and chocolate egg day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Meh, I prefer french toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

BizzyC wrote: »

Well La di da.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I made pancakes mix for two last week. And ate them all myself. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

BizzyC wrote: »
    ZOMG HERETIC!!!!111!one1!!!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If God wants me to stuff my face full of things with zero nutritional value, who am I to argue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Zombrex wrote: »
    If God wants me to stuff my face full of things with zero nutritional value, who am I to argue.

Stupid creator who designed us so all the stuff that tastes yummy is bad for us... 'intelligent design' my arse!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Stupid creator who designed us so all the stuff that tastes yummy is bad for us... 'intelligent design' my arse!
    I listened to a Science Fantastic (with Michio Kaku!) podcast last week explaining why we stuff our faces with all that stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Pancakes are grim. Fact.

My husband loves them. He eats them with gravy. Yorkshire has a lot to answer for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Crepes.
    Which should only ever be washed down with a cider from Brittany. Of which, I have three bottles. \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Pancakes are the nearest thing to heaven my belly will ever get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pancakes are over rated. If they were all that then we'd be having them every day. Humbug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

c_man wrote: »
    Pancakes are over rated. If they were all that then we'd be having them every day. Humbug.

overrated? The devil himself has appeared.

Advertisement