Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

And most important Question if it's a wet lease who is the one that will supply The 757's, the maintenance engineers, Cabin crew, Pilots?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Katunga wrote: »
    And most important Question if it's a wet lease who is the one that will supply The 757's, the maintenance engineers, Cabin crew, Pilots?

ACL providing the 757's, they're ex Finair, pilots will be provided by ACL, cabin crew by Aer Lingus, and maintainence will be carried out by ACL.

ACL don't have any 757's so how would they have type rated Staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

this was all discussed a few pages back in this thread, Katunga :)

they acquired the ex-Finnair ones?

a STAFF as I said before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because they do maintenance work for more than just their own fleet.

I believe they've experience operating a 757 on behalf of DHL. And as I mentioned, the 757's for EI will be coming from Finair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They provide maintenance for airlines, they have staff to provide this maintenance so they must have 757 rated staff or are able to acquire them.

I believe they've experience operating a 757 on behalf of DHL. And as I mentioned, the 757's for EI will be coming from Finair.

so a new interior will be needed as they are all economy.

so a new interior will be needed as they are all economy.

Indeed. A new interior with seats similar to the EI A330 Economy and Business and IFE would be installed. The aircraft would probably have to go through a maintainence base anyway to get a lick of green paint before being brought into service with EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

12 new seats up the front but the remaining seats in the rear will just be covered.
    No PTVs at EI's request.

ACL have 757 rated crew on their books already.
    Their engineering department have a wealth of experience including 757.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

12 new seats up the front but the remaining seats in the rear will just be covered.
    No PTVs at EI's request.

ACL have 757 rated crew on their books already.
    Their engineering department have a wealth of experience including 757.

Wouldnt ya think where there are doing up the cabin, i.e. fitting a necessary business class cabin they would just refit the rest of the cabin!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Locker10a wrote: »

Wouldnt ya think where there are doing up the cabin, i.e. fitting a necessary business class cabin they would just refit the rest of the cabin!

It's probably much more reasonable to buy 36 additional business class seats than to buy 3 full plane loads of seats.

There's not a huge amount of product differentiation for economy seats across airlines so they won't lose much/any business by not changing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Should be fun n games with the contract pilots on the 757 nearly operating half of EINs Atlantic operation when up and running re units.

The one thing that seems to be being overlooked here on this thread! Does this fall within the current SCOPE agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

No PTVs. That will suck on a long journey.

Thread title updated to reflect discussion of more then just A321s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

pclancy wrote: »
    No PTVs. That will suck on a long journey.

Thread title updated to reflect discussion of more then just A321s...

PTV'S are what makes the A330 on long journeys. I remember when they didn't have them.........BORING. And before someone says WIFI.....if you think I'm going to spend €100 to look at you tube, think again.

The one thing that seems to be being overlooked here on this thread! Does this fall within the current SCOPE agreement?

Well they did it before with the MD-11's back about 10-15(?) years ago, so I'd say there's scope for it, provided of course the intention is to see if it proves the market for the A321NEO to run the routes with EI pilots operating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

PTVs - its called getting an IPAD or tablet. Much better picture quality and the only limit to the sound quality is how much money you are willing to spend on headphones. You can watch everything on demand and play whatever games you have downloaded, read an ibook or draft up emails if working. I don't bother with onboard aircraft entertainment systems anymore and judging by how many people are doing the same as me then it seems to be catching on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Another iPad fan here bassil.....and if your a scabby pilot like me, buy TagDiskHd app.....it allows you record all u tube vids to play later. Search hard enough and there's some good movies hidden in there. Like wise I down load all the wheeler dealer episodes, old F1 gp's, rally crashes, all sad and motor orientated and of course episodes of faulty towers, porridge .......

It's got to the stage now I don't even turn on the local Telly with abroad.

So just for the record, what replaced the 757 after it went out of production? I know the market only grew after they finished producing it. Seems ridiculous that Airbus don't have an aircraft that matches it and niether do Boeing since they stopped building it.

• Advertisement

So just for the record, what replaced the 757 after it went out of production? I know the market only grew after they finished producing it. Seems ridiculous that Airbus don't have an aircraft that matches it and niether do Boeing since they stopped building it.
    They brought out the 737-900er as the replacement as most of the root it traveled were short haul.

They brought out the 737-900er as the replacement as most of the root it traveled were short haul.

That seems to be the problem, it now serves a lot of TA routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Nothing replaced the 757. A321neo will come close to.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Nothing replaced the 757. A321neo will come close to.

Seems like the market for it is there now, I wonder if the airlines have been talking to boeing about it?

Looks like they are already developing the 757 replacement. This article is from 2011.
    Boeing CEO Jim McNerney has given a rhetorical green light to replace the venerable 737, announcing the airframer intends to build a new aircraft to eclipse the re-engined Airbus A320neo, with a service entry around 2020.

Speaking at the Cowen and Company Aerospace and Defense Conference in New York City, McNerney says: "We're gonna do a new airplane. We're not done evaluating this whole situation yet, but our current bias is to not re-engine, is to move to an all-new airplane at the end of the decade, or the beginning of the next decade."

Boeing has continuously given small hints about its future plans, and McNerney's comments leave little ambiguity that a clean sheet design is in the company's future. But Boeing is officially seeking to temper his comments, saying a 737 replacement is "not a done deal" and is "still being evaluated".

Even though McNerney says entry into service could come earlier than 2020, the convergence of customer demand for a new aircraft, propulsion, systems and fuselage technology, as well as supply chain readiness, fits an end-of-decade first delivery.

McNerney suggests that the A320neo has put pressure on the smaller Bombardier CSeries, which shares a common power plant in the Pratt & Whitney PW1000G geared turbofan platform. While Airbus has focused on its existing customer base McNerney sees a looming threat to the 737: "That doesn't mean that as [Airbus gets] deeper in the development they're not going to approach our customer base. I think they will."

Airbus aims to deliver the first A320neo to launch customer Virgin America in 2016, with a yet undecided engine type. The carrier, in addition to the PW1100G, has a choice of the CFM Leap-X.

Boeing has three potential engines at its disposal for its new narrowbody including the current next-generation offerings from CFM and Pratt & Whitney, as well as the Rolls-Royce 133-445kN (30,000-100,000lb) thrust Advance3 future three-shaft Trent powerplant, which is currently in development and slated for a 2017 or 2018 entry into service.

"We're going to be talking to our customers concretely over the next year or two, very concretely," says McNerney. "I think in part because the re-engined Airbus airplane is out there. We're going to have more concrete discussions a little earlier, I think our customers are going to demand it and we will do it."

While there is a risk to Boeing in firming up plans for a new aircraft nearly eight years in advance of a service entry, McNerney believes that "customers are going to wait for this airplane, in part because they're going to know what it looks like over the next 18 months".

Yet Boeing's chief does admit that the A320neo, "on paper closes the value gap that we have enjoyed on a typical cash on cash analysis, we tend to do better. And I think part of the rationale of the neo is to close that gap. Now, will that put some pressure on our margins? Yes. maybe, but they've got to complete the development".

McNerney adds: "It's our judgment that our customers will wait for us, rather than move to an airplane that will obsolete itself when [Airbus develops] a new airplane. I understand why they're doing [the neo], we haven't seen the need for it yet. I feel pretty comfortable we can defend our customer base, both because they're not going ahead of us, they're catching up to us, and because we're going to be doing a new airplane that will go beyond the capability of what the neo can do."

Flightglobal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »
    PTVs - its called getting an IPAD or tablet. Much better picture quality and the only limit to the sound quality is how much money you are willing to spend on headphones. You can watch everything on demand and play whatever games you have downloaded, read an ibook or draft up emails if working. I don't bother with onboard aircraft entertainment systems anymore and judging by how many people are doing the same as me then it seems to be catching on.

Ok but not everyone has an Ipad or tablet! And they dont tend to have a great battery life either!
    There's no point making excuses , the fact of the matter is Aer Lingus are taking an "ah sure it twill be grand " approach and are going to offer a much inferior product to their competitors and to themselves! And while its true some customers bring their own entertainment others don't and notice these things! I hear it all the time from friends who travel transatlantic! A few years ago when delta flew 757's with drop down screens a few friends flew SNN-JFK with them and later flew with EI on an A330 with PTVs! They arrived home singing praise for Aer Lingus and complaining about having a strained neck from trying to watch a movie on the delta 757. They are in no way aviation people like most posters here and one of them spent ages on the ryanair website trying to book SNN-JFK with them! And couldn't upstanding that not ever airline flies every route!! They are pretty clueless when it comes to aviation but one thing they did notice was Aer Lingus PTV's. Customers DO NOTICE!

And whats going to happen if the DUB based 757 is operating along side an A330 on the same route? Are they seriously going to offer two different products on the same route !? I certainly hope not

Locker10a wrote: »
    And whats going to happen if the DUB based 757 is operating along side an A330 on the same route? Are they seriously going to offer two different products on the same route !? I certainly hope not

That's precisely why I said a few pages back, that if they did operate on the same route, I would try to fly the A330.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I doubt very much that a 757 will operate out of DUB on an existing route, or maybe I'm just hoping for a new destination!

There was a time where people read books and newspapers to pass the time, we've now come to expect IFE in our seats as other standards have fallen.

I think it would be a mistake for EI merely to re upholster Y seats seeing as this arrangement is set to last several years.

The MOST important thing on EIs minds is the bottom line however, there are potentially huge yields to be found in operating DUB to Canada, and also the fact that another A330 is being freed up.

So yes, you may not have PTVs down the back from SNN to Logan, but chances are, you'll be 2 hours away from a direct flight to the west-coast in a season or two.

Interesting times ahead, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

There's nothing definate about the 757s, they are looking at an ACMI lease and basing them in Shannon the 330s from Dublin are jammed.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise EIN had 767's in the past, I knew about the tristar and the MD-11, I didn't know about the 767.

1257617.jpg

Advertisement