Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

No PTVs and no ORK routes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Theres a raging discussion about the ORK T/A thing on PPRUNE. Some s are making the point, which I definitely agree with, that this would only hurt EI's LHR, AMS and CDG routes. Despite EI doing T/A from SNN, they have a much smaller operation there with only three daily LHR flights.

I reckon the only reason EI might do this if they though another airline would start flights, and United airlines, I'm looking at you

Out of interest, what sort of take off distance would a full 757 require on a flight from ORK to JFK, with ORK's 2,100m runway? Looking at this earlier today, was surprised to see Emirates operate a B77W to DXB from Newcastle airports 2,329m runway
    No PTVs and no ORK routes apparently.

Thats a surprise tbh, don't all of the American carriers operating 757's from Ireland have PTV's at this stage?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thats a surprise tbh, don't all of the American carriers operating 757's from Ireland have PTV's at this stage?

Nope. US, AA (the ex-JFK ones which will be flying to DUB in June) and some Delta ones don't (though I don't think Delta are currently running 757's to Ireland anymore).

It's a bit of a shame though (if this does happen) that EI is back to having an uneven product offering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

No PTVs apparently.

I hope this is not true! Typical one step forward two steps back! What is the point in leasing aircraft that are better for competing with other airlines (economically) only to then go and offer an inferior onboard product that's worse then what your competitors offer and is not consistent with your own product on other routes ?? Very bad move if true IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Yikes. A single product across the pond is a big plus.

Although to incorporate the 757s into that is a bit of an ask. It's not like they have a whole load of 330 J and Y seats in a hangar somewhere.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    Yikes. A single product across the pond is a big plus.

Although to incorporate the 757s into that is a bit of an ask. It's not like they have a whole load of 330 J and Y seats in a hangar somewhere.

Yeah i understand that but they wouldn't need to have identical cabins to the A330s just offer decent seat pitch with PTV's if possible AVOID like on the 330s but if not just an equivalent or the closest thing to what competitors are offering !
    Please dont step backward EI :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Nope. US, AA (the ex-JFK ones which will be flying to DUB in June) and some Delta ones don't (though I don't think Delta are currently running 757's to Ireland anymore).

It's a bit of a shame though (if this does happen) that EI is back to having an uneven product offering.

Delta are flying ex TWA 757's to SNN which do have PTV's AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Any chance EI are looking at a new model here, beat FR to the long rumoured Ryan Atlantic with a low frills TA service, possibly fed by EIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The 757s are a stop gap measure till the A321NEOs come along. The whole point is to offer a year round service to SNN and the possibility to expand into new and potentially "thin" routes like Canada. To expect AL to spend up large and retrofit them with all of the bells and whistles only then to be shot of them in a couple of years is a bit much. If you want all of the home comforts then hop in your cars or catch the train to Dublin for the A330.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

what about the A321-2 can that plane fill the gap for TA why all talk about 757 is it just still rumours?

• Advertisement

basill wrote: »
    The 757s are a stop gap measure till the A321NEOs come along. The whole point is to offer a year round service to SNN and the possibility to expand into new and potentially "thin" routes like Canada. To expect AL to spend up large and retrofit them with all of the bells and whistles only then to be shot of them in a couple of years is a bit much. If you want all of the home comforts then hop in your cars or catch the train to Dublin for the A330.

The fact that its a stop gap doesn't matter to the customers who WILL notice the difference in product offering between EI and their competitors. If the 757 were filling in for a year , yeah i would understand the reluctance to totally refit them but the A321neo hasn't even been ordered yet! It could be 4 years before they are flying! I hope after one year of 757 ops,if it is successful that EI will upgrade them untill they get their A321's.

there must be lot of 757s around to purchase even with such hi demand for. does anyone no were AL would get such aircraft. i mean what companys have 2 or 3 out there back yard sitting idel..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

zone 1 wrote: »
    there must be lot of 757s around to purchase even with such hi demand for. does anyone no were AL would get such aircraft. i mean what companys have 2 or 3 out there back yard sitting idel..

In the last 5 years the demand for wingletted B757-200 has shot up. Airlines have started to use them on long range low demand routes.

If any are sitting around idle they are probably old and/or not currently flyable.

No-one just leaves aircraft sitting on the ground, regardless of what Mick tells the media.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here regarding the 321neo. It's EIS is a long, long way away. And there has been no firm interest in EI buying some, they've been "looking" at them if I recall correctly. Who knows, the 757 may just end up as an experiment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not many 757's spare at the moment, between conversion to having winglets, so good for skinny medium haul and a significant number that were retired from passenger work and coverted into pure freighters, they are still a sought after airframe, Wouldn't mind betting that BA are regretting retiring theirs, most of them went to DHL for freighters.

Not a bad aircraft from a passenger aspect, they are not so nice from a ramp handling point of view, bags are loose load, and need belt loaders to get up to the doors, gets really tedious when a passenger is being offloaded and the entire hold has to be searched to find one or 2 bags. Takes time to do that.

Climbs like a homesick angel, did a flight a long time ago from Brussels to Heathrow, not exactly a long sector, and we crossed Dover on a gin clear day at FL310, the view from the flight deck windows was amazing, Portland Bill to the Wash, and all points between, Doesn't get that clear very often.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out longer term. Ideal low cost TA option would be a couple of large aircraft hubbed at SNN, to the closest they can get on the East coast, with good ground handling, both airframes could just do 3 flights a day, which is one more flight than most airports can manage. Would need a lot of promoting, and good feeds both sides of the pond, but why not?

The TA package, in its entirity, including ETOPS and the rest of the regulatory side of it is what MO'L was after, as that would have been cheaper and quicker than having to develop and build that expertise and history within FR. The EU seems, (fortunately for Ireland Inc) to be set against that, so now EI can concentrate on expanding and improving its offerings without the underlying worry about FR getting it all, (for a while at least), and maybe that will lead to some good things in the medium term. Who knows ?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

3 757 ex Finnair , etops with winglets , mint condition

mayfly757 wrote: »
    3 757 ex Finnair , etops with winglets , mint condition

Beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Beat me to it!

Build year ?

maybe there the 757 aircraft ? Finair are replaceing them with A321 X3

Ah that is nice! Finnair have sort of been prolonging the inevitable, sending them on charters and such. They sent their MD11s the way of cargo I believe.

Weird that this has all come out so quickly, in the pipeline for some time obviously which leads me to believe that the Ryanair bid certainly caused some consternation at hangar 6.

• Advertisement

Build year ?

1999 and 2000

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their 3x ILFC 757s are 1997/1998 builds and with them since new it seems - these would likely be them.

Overhead screen + audio channels to seats seems to be what they have as goes IFE which ties in with earlier comments.

1999 and 2000

Not bad for 757's, and there's me giving out about how old the A321's were........egg....all over face...

I suppose 12 year old A321's are not that old after all. The Thompson 757's were '93 and '94 when I flew on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

MYOB wrote: »
    Their 3x ILFC 757s are 1997/1998 builds and with them since new it seems - these would likely be them.

Overhead screen + audio channels to seats seems to be what they have as goes IFE which ties in with earlier comments.

Thanks!

28167 775 757-2Q8 16/10/1997 OH-LBR lsd ILFC
    28170 801 757-2Q8 03/05/1998 OH-LBT lsd ILFC
    28172 772 757-2Q8 07/10/1997 OH-LBO lsd ILFC

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Finnair-active-b757.htm

MYOB wrote: »

Not too bad based on this ! http://www.airliners.net/photo/Finnair/Boeing-757-2Q8/0587173/L/&sid=8f43387eafa0e36a643d297ad37ca3c6

But they are all economy lay-out so EI will need to fit a business class! Or will they bother :eek: :P ;)
    Could we see an experiment on an all economy cabin for thin routes ?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Not too bad based on this ! http://www.airliners.net/photo/Finnair/Boeing-757-2Q8/0587173/L/&sid=8f43387eafa0e36a643d297ad37ca3c6

But they are all economy lay-out so EI will need to fit a business class! Or will they bother :eek: :P ;)
    Could we see an experiment on an all economy cabin for thin routes ?

Seat covers very like 330s of old, except they're not green and don't have the poetry or whatever it was embroidered.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Seat covers very like 330s of old, except they're not green and don't have the poetry or whatever it was embroidered.

Exactly what I thought! Looks like the old Aer Lingus 737 cabins but without the green and yellow seats but with the addition of overhead screens! Wont be to unfamiliar to some of the older cabin crew who operated 737's, if indeed there are any crew left that remember them!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

They dont look like anything like that now. Trust me. If a company want something for 4 years its generally refitted.

boeingboy wrote: »
    They dont look like anything like that now. Trust me. If a company want something for 4 years its generally refitted.

If it's for 4 years, they should upgrade the cabin, I would personally try to fly the A330 if they didn't upgrade the cabins on the 757's, unless they took the A330 off those routes to fly west coast again. Well then there a would be no choice but to use the 75's on east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Surely if its two in SNN and one in DUB, then there might only be the YYZ route out of DUB?

Advertisement