Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

I know someone before said this was going to be a wet lease or ACMI lease and it seems to be from ILFC if sources here and on other forums are correct. So do any of the techies here know who will perform the day to day ETOPS checks, Daily checks etc? I know in Shannon they could use Shannon Aerospace as they already look after most of the US airlines who transit through there with 757's.

If as said above, one of the 757's will be DUB based who will perform the maintenance there?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

D.R Adams wrote: »
    I know someone before said this was going to be a wet lease or ACMI lease and it seems to be from ILFC if sources here and on other forums are correct. So do any of the techies here know who will perform the day to day ETOPS checks, Daily checks etc? I know in Shannon they could use Shannon Aerospace as they already look after most of the US airlines who transit through there with 757's.

If as said above, one of the 757's will be DUB based who will perform the maintenance there?

ILFC won't be the operator though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

ASL / ACL are the company / airline providing the lease , they have their own engineering and ops department

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

mayfly757 wrote: »
    ASL / ACL are the company / airline providing the lease , they have their own engineering and ops department

Finally someone said it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Do Air Contractors even have 757's?

• Advertisement

Yup the 3 ex Finnair

Ahhhh....so they will contract in some 757 engineers I presume as currently ACL don't have any in DUB AFAIK.

Plenty around , dhlair uk , Lufthansa , all already based in dub , Snn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Some ei engineers from the team/fls/ srt days have 757 types.

mayfly757 wrote: »
    Plenty around , dhlair uk , Lufthansa , all already based in dub , Snn

Lufthansa?? In DUB or do you mean Shannon Aerospace (part of the Lufthansa Technik group)

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Some ei engineers from the team/fls/ srt days have 757 types.

That is true...although requires those guys to do Practical training to renew experience on 757. Also I believe EI would have to then purchase tooling etc so will probably be outsourced as said above. Much easier to get a company like ACL to come in and look after the 757 head to toe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

If it's for 4 years, they should upgrade the cabin, I would personally try to fly the A330 if they didn't upgrade the cabins on the 757's, unless they took the A330 off those routes to fly west coast again. Well then there a would be no choice but to use the 75's on east coast.

There you go again with how old the aircraft is, and whats inside it?! Is that all thats important to you when it comes to an aircraft?

As I have stated before, the United 757 fleet that is used for the thinner european routes, are all retrofitted aircraft around 16 years old. However they maintained to the highest standards. Its not like a car that you get serviced every so often and the oil changed. Events such as a D check happen every 5 years and the aircraft is practically stripped to the bare skin. I fly United 3-4 times a year in business first, and I have yet to notice the age of the aircraft any time. My last trip I returned home in economy plus, and it was a pleasant experience./

It is safe to assume that should Aer Lingus lease 3 B757's for any extended period of time that the aircraft will be fitted to the standards that the A330 fleet is at. I would see 4 rows in business, 16 seats, and 150 in economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

D.R Adams wrote: »
    Ahhhh....so they will contract in some 757 engineers I presume as currently ACL don't have any in DUB AFAIK.

I know some of the guys at ACL and they have maintenance personnel who are current on many types having looked after various operators and aircraft MX over the years such as Fedex, TNT, DHL, Europe Airpost etc to name a handful.. Whoever isn't current on the 75 would just be sent for training exactly as happened in the past I am guessing but numbers in the ground may be an issue so could have to hire in additional..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

There you go again with how old the aircraft is, and whats inside it?! Is that all thats important to you when it comes to an aircraft?

As I have stated before, the United 757 fleet that is used for the thinner european routes, are all retrofitted aircraft around 16 years old. However they maintained to the highest standards. Its not like a car that you get serviced every so often and the oil changed. Events such as a D check happen every 5 years and the aircraft is practically stripped to the bare skin. I fly United 3-4 times a year in business first, and I have yet to notice the age of the aircraft any time. My last trip I returned home in economy plus, and it was a pleasant experience./

It is safe to assume that should Aer Lingus lease 3 B757's for any extended period of time that the aircraft will be fitted to the standards that the A330 fleet is at. I would see 4 rows in business, 16 seats, and 150 in economy.

Where did I say how old it was, I simply said I would prefer the A330 if the 75's were not fitted out inside, what's the big deal? The more comfort the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Comfort and 757 don't really sit together in the same sentence. Unless of course you are in the comfy seats up front.

I think its a great opportunity for SNN to get a year round direct service. If you want the latest and greatest IFE then take your ipad and a decent set of headphones like so many people do. Then you will get true "on demand" and a much better screen resolution. If you want to be able to do a lap of the aircraft on a widebody then drive up to Dublin and catch the A330.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »
    Comfort and 757 don't really sit together in the same sentence. Unless of course you are in the comfy seats up front.

I think its a great opportunity for SNN to get a year round direct service. If you want the latest and greatest IFE then take your ipad and a decent set of headphones like so many people do. Then you will get true "on demand" and a much better screen resolution. If you want to be able to do a lap of the aircraft on a widebody then drive up to Dublin and catch the A330.

The entertainment and cabin/ comfort levels are very important to customers! 90% of whom dont know nor care about aircraft type , they just care about the services and entertainment! This is the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

ive been on icelandair 757 not that long ago great comfort seat wise. to me alot more room than AL 330 maybe in wrong.

Apparently this is all about freeing up a 330 to do west coast soo that's either daa or duo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why -DAA, -DUO?

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing stopping newer -300s from reaching the West Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why -DAA, -DUO?

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing stopping newer -300s from reaching the West Coast.

Probably wouldn't be enough demand for a -300 to begin with, the route would need to be built up over the years.

• Advertisement

Why -DAA, -DUO?

Crew rest, longer range etc

kona wrote: »
    Crew rest, longer range etc

Ah, so no crew rests on the larger variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Why -DAA, -DUO?

The current EI A330-302's have the range to reach the West Coast.
    In fact Airbus recently announced a further development of the A330 that will further increase range and/or payload of the A333. By utilising a central fuel tank that had not been operational until now.
    I'm not 100% sure how this works, is this tank a recent addition to newbuild A330's? (a la the sharklet refit mod to the A320 wings?)

As for crew rest......well EI have always shown a disregard for the need for this in the past. Previously they just put a small curtain around some seats at the back for 'crew rest'. The newest -200 did have the crew rest in the hold,but that was only 1 of 3 -200 models.

I agree that in general launching a route with a smaller model makes sense.

Dacian wrote: »
    The current EI A330-302's have the range to reach the West Coast.
    In fact Airbus recently announced a further development of the A330 that will further increase range and/or payload of the A333. By utilising a central fuel tank that had not been operational until now.
    I'm not 100% sure how this works, is this tank a recent addition to newbuild A330's? (a la the sharklet refit mod to the A320 wings?)

As for crew rest......well EI have always shown a disregard for the need for this in the past. Previously they just put a small curtain around some seats at the back for 'crew rest'. The newest -200 did have the crew rest in the hold,but that was only 1 of 3 -200 models.

I agree that in general launching a route with a smaller model makes sense.

Daa and duo both have purpose built crew rests

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, there is also an A330 going to operate charter flights for Novair over the next while, which they'll have to plan around

Novair, Virgin..it's almost getting like Aer Lingus of old where we saw EI planes operating for all sorts of carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ......Novair, Virgin..it's almost getting like Aer Lingus of old where we say EI planes operating for all sorts of carriers.

I think its a good move, the Irish market is/was too seasonal and prone to setbacks. The new strategy gives the company a more sound business model with market share spread out and several revenue streams.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well, there is also an A330 going to operate charter flights for Novair over the next while, which they'll have to plan around

Novair, Virgin..it's almost getting like Aer Lingus of old where we saw EI planes operating for all sorts of carriers.

What's weird is that, at the same time, EI will (presumably) be leasing 757s themselves. For a change, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If they are to use a 757 on TA routes would that be in conjunction with them using an A330? The reason I ask is the 757 cargo hold is a hand ball job and with the amount of freight that goes on the buses space could be a problem.
    And as for the MX lads having currency on type they could always get the lads who look after Delta& US airways to do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they are to use a 757 on TA routes would that be in conjunction with them using an A330? The reason I ask is the 757 cargo hold is a hand ball job and with the amount of freight that goes on the buses space could be a problem.

Unlikely to be replacing a 330 on any routes by the looks of things - just running extra services. Unless it ends up doing SNN->US in the summer, but is the cargo load from SNN as high as it is from DUB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I don't know what the cargo loads out of SNN are but the Dub based A330 are pretty full at least 5/6 main deck size pallets would be on the stand ready for loading,I'm sure what ever EI do with the B757 it won't compromise their cargo ops which makes them a nice few quid.

Advertisement