Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    Only one flaw in your argument - you cannot fly from SNN to DUB to connect with your preferred option.

I never said I would fly from SNN to Dublin.

My nearest Airport, Kerry International, operates daily flights to Dublin !

So in theory it is possible to book from Kerry via Dublin to Boston with onward connecting flight with Jet Blue to any of the US States.

No- the only alternative to flying on a 757 ex SNN is to fly to Toronto on an A330 operated by Air Transat. That's what MYOB is on about.

Thank you for clarifying that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's way too much hatred towards the 757 on the last page :(

Let's all just calm down and go back to worshipping the 757 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    There's way too much hate towards the 757 on the last page :(

Let's all just calm down and go back to worshipping the 757 :)

Lovely aircraft, don't know how or why anyone could complain! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Read a report EI looking at MIA for next summer, now with 7 A330 and 3 B757 all busy in the sumner does this mean MCO route will move ? Pity I like that route, or are there other plans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

My nearest Airport, Kerry International, operates daily flights to Dublin !

Well thats probably why you won't be flying from Shannon, rather than the aircraft available. If you lived in Ennis or Limerick or possibly Galway then Shannon would probably still be worth it.

Anyway I don't get this 1 aisle problem you have, on a Ryanair flight to the canary islands, over 4 hours, I'd say the cabin crew spend about 1 hour maximum in the aisles with trolleys. Wide bodied aircraft probably have 2 aisles but twice as many trolleys, twice as many cabin crew and twice as many pax. Shannon - New York is only about 6 hours anyway, barely even long haul.

In my experience its all about getting seats within about 5-6 rows or the jacks, so other PAX are boxed in while myself and a few others have plenty of time to use the jacks before it goes manky and the queues start.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Who is ranting?

I have no vested interest in Aer Lingus .

As a customer I can choose which carrier I prefer to travel with.

If I decide to avoid a particular airliner I may make alternative arrangements.

What is wrong with that?

Who here has a vested interest? If anyone has a vested interest , please feel free to say so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

Nothing wrong with an opinion so long as it's based on correct information. Yours isn't.

relaxed wrote: »
    Well thats probably why you won't be flying from Shannon, rather than the aircraft available. If you lived in Ennis or Limerick or possibly Galway then Shannon would probably still be worth it.

Anyway I don't get this 1 aisle problem you have, on a Ryanair flight to the canary islands, over 4 hours, I'd say the cabin crew spend about 1 hour maximum in the aisles with trolleys. Wide bodied aircraft probably have 2 aisles but twice as many trolleys, twice as many cabin crew and twice as many pax. Shannon - New York is only about 6 hours anyway, barely even long haul.

In my experience its all about getting seats within about 5-6 rows or the jacks, so other PAX are boxed in while myself and a few others have plenty of time to use the jacks before it goes manky and the queues start.

Eh ?

If the right aircraft is available in Shannon it would be more convenient to drive to Shannon obviously, rather than adding another plane journey !

I really cannot understand your comparison between flying Ryanair to Canaries and flying trans Atlantic .Completely different scenarios imho

Each to their own

dukedalton wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with an opinion so long as it's based on correct information. Yours isn't.

Whatever you say LOL

Perhaps you could enlighten everyone with the facts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Whatever you say LOL

You've come in here casting aspersions about the professionalism of staff and the safety of the aircraft, all based on misinformation.

• Advertisement

dukedalton wrote: »
    You've come in here casting aspersions about the professionalism of staff and the safety of the aircraft, all based on misinformation.

Give the facts so, or at least as you know them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Eh ?

If the right aircraft is available in Shannon it would be more convenient to drive to Shannon obviously, rather than adding another plane journey !

I really cannot understand your comparison between flying Ryanair to Canaries and flying trans Atlantic .Completely different scenarios imho

Each to their own

The point about Ryanair is that its not a huge amount extra to fly to New York, and the cabin crew on a canaries run have plenty of time to take several breaks, I doubt very much the cabin crew spend the entire 6 hours to New York going up and down the aircraft with trolleys blocking the aisle, as you are suggesting.

The point about Ryanair is that its not a huge amount extra to fly to New York, and the cabin crew on a canaries run have plenty of time to take several breaks, I doubt very much the cabin crew spend the entire 6 hours to New York going up and down the aircraft with trolleys blocking the aisle, as you are suggesting.

Thank you interesting point.

I guess the Canaries flight has fewer passengers, whilst on the 757 Transatlantic , there are more passengers and the Airline is obliged to provide a cooked meal to each passenger

My observation was more trolley runs on the TA route , ironically I was in Canaries a couple of weeks ago .

My understanding is the galley preparation area on the 757 is not dissimilar to the 737 ???

I am merely advising my experience and observations on a recent trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Que?!?!

I'll try fixing it for you:
    Learn your lesson Delthedriver and fly with Delta next time where you're greeted with warm plastic smiles and the excellent pretend customer service that America is famous for. The customer is [fooled to thing that that they are] king in America.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

More money than brain cells, I take it?

Just because I have had different experiences to you doesn't mean I am wrong or stupid. The last few times I've flown American, Delta and US I wasn't impressed at all. I used not like Aer Lingus but the last 5 times I've flown them transatlantic I've been very impressed.

More money than brain cells, I take it?

Also if you know what you're doing EI is by far the cheapest way to cross the Atlantic.

Folks , please it is time to chill...............

I raised legitimate concerns, experiences and observations.

Please I don't wish for people here to get into a frenzy.

Time out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can connect via London and other European airports for less then EI prices. However I have priced Transatlantic at times and found the US airlines and their own 757 services more expensive at certain times so I do t think it's exclusive to expect that EI are always necessarily more expensive.

The 757 aircraft is safe as is the EI operation. Anyone with any knowledge of airline ops can tell you that they would have had to jump through hoops to prove the route and get it approved. ASL have a fantastic rep in the business also I can tell you that first hand although I have never been employed by them or do I have any vested interest in EI.

The 757 is not as comfortable as a spacious twin aisle widenody jet like an A330. Some people may think that a 757 TATl is fine... Enough people do to make it viable enough for EI and several US carriers who operate the type to Ireland and beyond. Different strokes for different folks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I guess the Canaries flight has fewer passengers, whilst on the 757 Transatlantic , there are more passengers and the Airline is obliged to provide a cooked meal to each passenger

My observation was more trolley runs on the TA route , ironically I was in Canaries a couple of weeks ago .

My understanding is the galley preparation area on the 757 is not dissimilar to the 737 ???

FR 738 has 189 seats. EI 752 has 165 seats in Economy and 12 in Business so more on the Canaries flight if full.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Also if you know what you're doing EI is by far the cheapest way to cross the Atlantic.

No it is NOT!

Charging £3,500 to fly to Florida versus £1,900!

• Advertisement

One time wanted to move to earlier flight, no issue.
    Food was good quality, cabin crew were very helpful. Especially when my sister was traveling with her young family. They were very 'flexible' with excess luggage

The times I went business class was very impressed. Probably the best business class ex Dublin transatlantic.

I do agree that EI charge more usually but you can get good deals. Although I don't think I've actually paid cash for an Aer Lingus transatlantic flight for a long time. Using miles there are great redemption rates.

Well I think United are just as good. They have a fantastic service with fab cabin crew. Their flatbed is totally superior. Not to mention thousands of connections.

Sister got 420 each return to Orlando in June. That's not half bad. Granted you probably could get it around 380 but 40 quid extra for direct, to us that's well worth it.

Well I looked for then in February and it was £900 per person!!!

We got it for £520 with United.

Strumms wrote: »
    You can connect via London and other European airports for less then EI prices. However I have priced Transatlantic at times and found the US airlines and their own 757 services more expensive at certain times so I do t think it's exclusive to expect that EI are always necessarily more expensive.

The 757 aircraft is safe as is the EI operation. Anyone with any knowledge of airline ops can tell you that they would have had to jump through hoops to prove the route and get it approved. ASL have a fantastic rep in the business also I can tell you that first hand although I have never been employed by them or do I have any vested interest in EI.

The 757 is not as comfortable as a spacious twin aisle widenody jet like an A330. Some people may think that a 757 TATl is fine... Enough people do to make it viable enough for EI and several US carriers who operate the type to Ireland and beyond. Different strokes for different folks...

I do not care. If you get entertainment, blankets etc it does not matter. It is only 6 hours. Aussie would be a different matter!!

I don't understand it either. As you say it is only 6 hours so why care? As long as you get there safely and when they say it is fine. Most of the time you are on your seat so it is no different. The only bad instant would be with us airways or American.

Eh ?

Each to their own

No its not.

Its only about two hours longer.

And yes we know Orlando is further but then that is a proper transatlantic flight though I would say most fly to NYC anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

owenc wrote: »
    Well I think United are just as good. They have a fantastic service with fab cabin crew. Their flatbed is totally superior. Not to mention thousands of connections.

Seem to remember your posts always quote flying economy?

And always anti aer lingus too now that I think of it........

Ryanair has flights almost just as long as the boston flight. Thompson also fly to sharm el shiek in a crapped up 737 for six hours from Belfast.

They treat it like an ordinary 1 hour flight. I suppose people see transatlantic flights as a long flight but in a global scale it is so so short.

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Seem to remember your posts always quote flying economy?

And always anti aer lingus too now that I think of it........

You only have to look at the pictures and trip reports.

owenc wrote: »
    No it is NOT!

Charging £3,500 to fly to Florida versus £1,900!

I said if you know what your doing EI is the cheapest way to get across the atlantic not to get to Florida. I frequently travel DUB-BOS return for the equivalent of €200. However, I do accept, you need to know a few tricks to get that.

I find EI Business class far superior to United BusinessFirst product except the seat, which Uniteds is better. However, some of the other American airlines Business offerings out of Dublin is shameful, even though the flights are medium haul, I'd expect a full flat or angled flat bed.

• Advertisement

I said if you know what your doing EI is the cheapest way to get across the atlantic not to get to Florida. I frequently travel DUB-BOS return for the equivalent of €200. However, I do accept, you need to know a few tricks to get that.

I find EI Business class far superior to United BusinessFirst product except the seat, which Uniteds is better. However, some of the other American airlines Business offerings out of Dublin is shameful, even though the flights are medium haul, I'd expect a full flat or angled flat bed.

Thats what I thought. But it is not good for Florida or anywhere else. There are some fab deals to California via EWR (found £2,000 for 4 the other day).

For me it would be all about the seat. Thats why I say United.

And yes I did notice that. American airlines are just atrocious, I cannot believe how bad they are. It just seems like they've sent a domestic aircraft over. They were just £1,900, however we paid the extra £300 as we thought that American airlines were just too far. I was prepared to travel on a 757-200, but not to the extent that we would have no entertainment!

Price wise they were fab. But unfortunately crap entertainment was provided. Personally I feel that transatlantic flights are overcharged. You can get flights to Egypt for half nothing.

Advertisement