Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

Found a link:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/news-deals-and-holiday-inspiration-1.1715229?page=2

Article says 1-2-1 but it's hardly an 'expert' source. Im just interested in how they fit the same number of seats into the same (or close to the same) space, while giving everyone access to an aisle. Must take a look at Virgin's configuration as mentioned in one of the posts above to see how they did it.

Barring a lotto win, such information will make absolutely no difference to my daily grind in any case:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus looking at 40 new short haul aircraft, will issue an RFP in the next 18 months. Also includes a 757 replacement, probably A321neo if Airbus can achieve the range.

http://www.anna.aero/2014/03/13/30-second-interview-aer-lingus-chief-commercial-officer-stephen-kavanagh/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

MIA has been the rumour for the past year or so. Not sure what the other East coast destination SK is looking at. If its Philly or IAD then that would surely need one of the US operators to pull off and a codeshare to be setup as the loads wouldn't sustain the additional flights. Unless he is talking Canada in which case Halifax was on the table recently for the etops 320s.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

basill wrote: »
    MIA has been the rumour for the past year or so. Not sure what the other East coast destination SK is looking at. If its Philly or IAD then that would surely need one of the US operators to pull off and a codeshare to be setup as the loads wouldn't sustain the additional flights. Unless he is talking Canada in which case Halifax was on the table recently for the etops 320s.

Miami would be perfect if they could code-share with American. It would open up the whole of the Caribbean and South and Central America. I can't imagine United would be too happy with that though (they would prefer this traffic to go through Houston).
    Miami would also link to the large cruise business which is very popular with Irish tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

It is just me not paying as much attenion as possible but I had to double take at this from that 30 second interview. I will get rid of the * so you can see how I read it. :o

Short-haul:
    Dublin to Hannover and Pula
    Shannon to Malaga and Bristol
    Cork to Newcastle

Long-haul
    Dublin to San Francisco and Toronto
    Operated by Aer Lingus Regional :eek:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

bbk wrote: »
    It is just me not paying as much attenion as possible but I had to double take at this from that 30 second interview. I will get rid of the * so you can see how I read it. :o

Long-haul
    Dublin to San Francisco and Toronto
    Operated by Aer Lingus Regional :eek:

:P

Only applicable when the gale force winds blow in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The Aer Lingus 757 in Shannon is training today by the looks of it.
    Doing go Arounds all day if anybody is interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

XsApollo wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus 757 in Shannon is training today by the looks of it.
    Doing go Arounds all day if anybody is interested :)

I was on that last week to Boston, not a bad aircraft, very smooth. The seats are new I think but feel a little cheap, they have a 7" touch screen in the headrests with a usb port and 3.5mm headphone jack. There are only 3 rows in business but on my flight there was only one person in there anyway. The crew seem to be mostly from Limerick too. There's no wifi or mobile phone signal on board. I got the round trip for €397 so I didn't really care about the comfort.

EI-LBR has been doing some filling in according to Flightradar.

Filled in for an ATR from Edinburgh and then London to Edinburgh for Virgin Atlantic.

Lucky for the aviation peeps flying those routes. Was hoping for it to happen on a recent Manchester flight for me :p

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ei-lbr/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wonder how they work out the financials when mainline stands in on a Regional flight. One hell of a difference in craft for that trip anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

bbk wrote: »
    EI-LBR has been doing some filling in according to Flightradar.

Filled in for an ATR from Edinburgh and then London to Edinburgh for Virgin Atlantic.

Lucky for the aviation peeps flying those routes. Was hoping for it to happen on a recent Manchester flight for me :p

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ei-lbr/

That information is incorrect. LBR returned yesterday MST-SNN after paint. It didn't operate any other route.

That information is incorrect. LBR returned yesterday MST-SNN after paint. It didn't operate any other route.

Had a feeling, so I wonder how the recognition systems could make that type of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

lxflyer wrote: »
    The A330 is on lease to Novair for flights from Scandinavia to the Caribbean.

Much lower demand during the winter between Shannon and the US - hence a 757 is far more appropriate.

Does that fly as aer lingus and in EI colours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The aircraft remains in full Aer Lingus colours, with EI flight deck crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Technically its "some" AL flight crew on secondment to ASL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

basill wrote: »
    Technically its "some" AL flight crew on secondment to ASL.

I'm assuming he's asking about the A330 leased to Novair (and not the 757).

ASL aren't involved in the A330 lease and hence my comment that it has EI flight crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The Aer Lingus 757 operating on Shannon Boston is cramped claustrophobic and narrow for Trans Atlantic Crossings, It is like travelling in a Ryanair plane for 6.5 hours

There is only a centre aisle and cabin crew of 4. There is no room to move about in flight. Cabin crew work in cramped conditions , pushing their carts up and down the aisle.

Passengers who need to use the bathrooms, the three of which are at the middle of the plane have to negotiate their way down the aisle against the oncoming steward pushing their cart.

As there are only 4 flight attendants, they are working long hours, flat out without a break in order to look after their passengers. This cannot be good for the cabin crew nor passengers. Dread to think what could happen if either a member of cabin crew or passenger should take ill mid flight.

This new arrangement of ASL operating flights on behalf of AER Lingus , with some of the cabin crew also contracted to Aer Lingus is unacceptable.

Christoph Muller , Aer Lingus CEO needs to relook at this new arrangement. If this is his best offering for the Shannon routes he needs to treat his passengers with the respect and loyalty they have shown Aer Lingus. My guess he is trying to run down the Shannon route while at the same time trying to please Minister Varadkar and Government by offering something out of Shannon

I will not be flying 757 out of Shannon again. My wife was ill during our stay in the US and could not face travelling back on the same plane. As a result we upgraded to business class and were extremely well looked after by Senior Cabin Crew , Ms Lesley Murphy, It was obvious Ms . Murphy was a Real Aer Lingus staff member. Her professionalism certainly showed her apart from the new look budget bin operation which is operating on Shannon Boston Route.

By the way the 757 I understand will also operate on Shannon New York and Dublin Torronto!

For one I will be making alternative arrangements. The 757 is nothing more than cattle class

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good luck finding non 757 ops out of Shannon... Unless all you want to go to is Toronto in summer.

MYOB wrote: »
    Good luck finding non 757 ops out of Shannon... Unless all you want to go to is Toronto in summer.

You misread my txt. I never suggested 757's from Shannon to Toronto

Rather I said 757 from Dublin to Toronto.

I have already checked Air Canada are flying to Toronto from Dublin during the summer. Why would I take a 757?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Rather I said 757 from Dublin to Toronto.

I have already checked Air Canada are flying to Toronto from Dublin during the summer. Why would I take a 757?

No- the only alternative to flying on a 757 ex SNN is to fly to Toronto on an A330 operated by Air Transat. That's what MYOB is on about.

• Advertisement

I rather think you're the one doing the misreading here.

The only non-757 transatlantic service from Shannon is the Air Transat service to Toronto in the summer. No matter what "alternative arrangement" you make, unless you either drive to Dublin or transfer via somewhere else, you're getting a 757.

The 757 is the only reason Shannon can even have the breadth of transatlantic services it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭orionm_73

This new arrangement of ASL operating flights on behalf of AER Lingus , with some of the cabin crew also contracted to Aer Lingus is unacceptable.
    It was obvious Ms . Murphy was a Real Aer Lingus staff member.

All of the cabin crew on the B757 flights are Aer Lingus crew. None have been contracted to Aer Lingus from ASL or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What a rant. I dare say I sense some vested interest.

MYOB wrote: »
    I rather think you're the one doing the misreading here.

The only non-757 transatlantic service from Shannon is the Air Transat service to Toronto in the summer. No matter what "alternative arrangement" you make, unless you either drive to Dublin or transfer via somewhere else, you're getting a 757.

The 757 is the only reason Shannon can even have the breadth of transatlantic services it has.

Thank you for clarifying re Transat. Were never a consideration imho.

However I have no issue flying to Dublin and connecting with my preferred options.

orionm_73 wrote: »
    All of the cabin crew on the B757 flights are Aer Lingus crew. None have been contracted to Aer Lingus from ASL or anywhere else.

To clarify the majority of cabin crew on the 757 operated by ASL are contracted temporary employees from Aer Lingus Ireland. The remainder are Aer Lingus staff

What a rant. I dare say I sense some vested interest.

Who is ranting?

I have no vested interest in Aer Lingus .

As a customer I can choose which carrier I prefer to travel with.

If I decide to avoid a particular airliner I may make alternative arrangements.

What is wrong with that?

Who here has a vested interest? If anyone has a vested interest , please feel free to say so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Thank you for clarifying re Transat. Were never a consideration imho.

However I have no issue flying to Dublin and connecting with my preferred options.

Only one flaw in your argument - you cannot fly from SNN to DUB to connect with your preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭orionm_73

To clarify the majority of cabin crew on the 757 operated by ASL are contracted temporary employees from Aer Lingus Ireland. The remainder are Aer Lingus staff

They are still Aer Lingus employees. All cabin crew start their employment on temporary contracts. And no, the majority of crew on 757 operations are not temporary. They are the same crew based in SNN that were there before the 757 arrived plus one small group of temps recruited as more crew were needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The Aer Lingus 757 operating on Shannon Boston is cramped claustrophobic and narrow for Trans Atlantic Crossings, It is like travelling in a Ryanair plane for 6.5 hours......

Well the B757 is pretty much just a stretched B737. Galley size and cabin width are pretty much similar.

However the lower operating costs of the B757 allows EI to offer more seats per week from SNN and to start the DUB-Toronto route (which could be upgrade to an A330 in 12-18 months if successful)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

I would love to hear how the switch was from an EI A320 Driver who jumped to the right hand seat of the 757, find out how both compare to each other and compare the technologies of each plane, 757 is probably a little more manual of an operation when hand flying

Advertisement