Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Why didnt they send it to shannon dublin for painting?
    The paint shop may have been booked up, and/or perhaps they got a better deal in Norwich. Just like you do with your car when you need a mechanic...you shop around for the deal that's best for you.

Same question is prob being asked in Doha by spotters there "why are they sending QR aircraft to DUB for painting?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

kub wrote: »
    I wonder when EI changed from 747's to A330's, should they have changed to 757's instead?

Remember the A330 has a lot of underbelly cargo capacity and, on rare occasions, they have been operated on freight-only flights with no passengers on board. Before the advent of the A330, Aer Lingus ran dedicated transatlantic cargo services, primarily operated by Aer Turas DC-8s and, before that, its own 707s.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

757s have worked well for icelandair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

292548.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Such a marvellous picture of the B757 in EI's colours. Hopefully I'll get to fly on those sometime soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You know..from a distance, I think this EI away jersey looks quite decent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The green tail does stand out a lot more with the white fuselage and it wouldn't look too bad if it was a fresh coat of white but as a fleet wide livery? No thanks! There's enough white airline liveries around and the two tone green livery of Aer Lingus is what makes it one of the most popular and stand out designs out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Really like the white body / green tail. Actually prefer it myself to the normal paint job. The retro one was so much nicer as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I like it, but not as much as the regular livery. The green is so distinctive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was looking on Flightradar the other day and noticed an Aer Lingus A330 flying over Ireland on it's way to Scandinavia. Can't remember the exact route, Canaries to Norway or something like that.

I'm sure I've read before that they usually lease out an A330 during the Winter, but why do that and then lease a couple of 757's themselves?

Can someone explain the reasoning behind that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was looking on Flightradar the other day and noticed an Aer Lingus A330 flying over Ireland on it's way to Scandinavia. Can't remember the exact route, Canaries to Norway or something like that.

I'm sure I've read before that they usually lease out an A330 during the Winter, but why do that and then lease a couple of 757's themselves?

Seats vs demand. Aer Lingus A330 has 322 seats and 757 has 177. Why fly a half empty A330 across the Atlantic when you can get good bucks on a winter lease. 757 opens up new routes too like Dublin - Toronto which would not have been viable with the A330

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The A330 is on lease to Novair for flights from Scandinavia to the Caribbean.

Much lower demand during the winter between Shannon and the US - hence a 757 is far more appropriate.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    You are trying to connect 2 seperate operations.

The winter lease to Novair is taking advantage of the extra demand for aircraft in Scandanavia at this time. EI always reduce their schedule over the winter so traditionally had a 'spare' A330 at this time. EI can earn extra revenue by leasing this extra capacity to another carrier.

The B757's as stated above by Sully are a better aircraft for the lower demand market ex-Shannon. EI previously had 7 A330 flights a week out of SNN (330x7= 22254 seats) during the SUmmer months while having no flights for up to 3 months over the Winter.
    With the new B757 operation they can operate at a better cost per seat. With the planned 12 flights a week (7-BOS/5-JFK) this summer they offer slightly less seats (12x172= 2064) but with more frequency and better operating efficiency. This then allows them of offer year round flights.

Looking elsewhere the B757 is a good size aircraft to launch a new route (Toronto) EI can enter the market and build up demand until they require the capacity of the A330. The 'freed up' B757 can then start another new route or just add capacity to an existing route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

The one in the UK for painting should be out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

The one in the UK for painting should be out soon?

Positioning to SNN this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 amandaparker

Aer Lingus launches inaugural Boeing B757 service from Shannon to Boston

er Lingus launches inaugural Boeing B757 service from Shannon to Boston. Flight number EI 135 departed Shannon for Boston, marking the commencement of the airline’s major transatlantic expansion in 2014.
    This expansion plan includes new routes from Dublin to San Francisco and Toronto, as well as frequency increases on services from Shannon to Boston and New York.

This is the first of two Boeing B757 aircraft that will be based at Shannon, replacing a single Airbus A330, resulting in:
    • Increased frequency - from seven transatlantic flights per week to 13 flights per week from Shannon
    • Increased connectivity to North America via New York and Boston with partner airline, Jetblue Airways
    • Return of year round transatlantic operations for Aer Lingus at Shannon

Flights between Shannon and Boston will operate daily while flights to New York from Shannon will operate six times a week, starting on 30th March. The increased frequency opens up additional connectivity to almost 40 cities in North America through partner airline, Jetblue Airways, allowing passengers to connect seamlessly to cities such as Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Seattle, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Phoenix, Washington, Orlando and Dallas.

Transatlantic connectivity, via Shannon, from other points on the Aer Lingus network will also increase, adding to Shannon Airport’s growth as a transfer hub.

Ten Aer Lingus routes to operate for summer 2014 from Shannon
    Aer Lingus and Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Aer Arann, have increased the number of routes offered from Shannon Airport to ten for summer 2014, with a mix of business, sun and city break options. New routes for summer include a twice weekly service to Malaga and a daily flight to Bristol. Flights to Birmingham will double in frequency to two flights daily and flights to Manchester will benefit from seven additional weekly services bringing the total number of Manchester flights to twenty.

Read More: http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/news/airportairline/18230-aer-lingus-launches-inaugural-boeing-b757-service-from-shannon-to-boston

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

b757 wrote: »
    Positioning to SNN this afternoon.

Apparently it's delayed until 20.00 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

lord lucan wrote: »
    Apparently it's delayed until 20.00 tonight.

Sneaking in under the cover of darkness. They will probably put it straight into the hangar too. Hope someone manages to get a pic.

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Sneaking in under the cover of darkness. They will probably put it straight into the hangar too. Hope someone manages to get a pic.

Like EI-DVM,by the time it came in from Toulouse it was pitch dark and couldn't get a decent PIC of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

Like EI-DVM,by the time it came in from Toulouse it was pitch dark and couldn't get a decent PIC of it.

Any idea where in the UK its getting painted Mr.Lucan?

• Advertisement

I'd say Malcolm Nason will be on the case tonight, we should get a pic either way but pity its not daylight

billie1b wrote: »
    Any idea where in the UK its getting painted Mr.Lucan?

Norwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

Norwich.

Cool thanks, just wanted to try track it on FR24

But video was taken:

No idea if the aircraft arrived in SNN, couldn't see it on FR24 any time I checked but EI did tweet me this sneak peak, not much apart from the registration visible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgYwORxIgAAWgkw.jpg:large

Hopefully out in full tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

No idea if the aircraft arrived in SNN, couldn't see it on FR24 any time I checked but EI did tweet me this sneak peak, not much apart from the registration visible.

Delayed until tomorrow morning from what I hear so should get to see it in day light.

Looks like the paint shop to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

It looks like that was taken in Norwich. Maybe something will pop up if it flew all secret like today.

Well here she is!

12510079055_7b12ef151c.jpg
    OH-LBS by jonlondon451, on Flickr

12510549364_9e64fa0b46.jpg
    OH-LBS by jonlondon451, on Flickr

Looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Its on its way to SNN due to land at 0900.Still using a Finnair callsign.

Advertisement