Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Rooting or flashing a custom rom does not void your warranty in the EU. There should be a sticky about this at this stage.

While you may be correct ,best of luck sending your phone back to Samsung and then trying to disprove them when they say the cause of your problem is unofficial software. You may not be able to flash it back to stock before sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Would you mind posting up the links to how you did it as I'm thinking of rooting mine as the battery is crap since the last update 4.2.2 cheers.

Did a good bit of reading but went with the instructions, tools and files in this guide.

http://www.technobuffa...oogle-edition-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    While you may be correct ,best of luck sending your phone back to Samsung and then trying to disprove them when they say the cause of your problem is unofficial software. You may not be able to flash it back to stock before sending it back.

There's reports of people sending phones back after a bad flash and having them fixed. I might be mistaken but think I might have even read one here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

quad_red wrote: »
    Did a good bit of reading but went with the instructions, tools and files in this guide.

http://www.technobuffa...oogle-edition-phone/

Do you mind posting that link again as the it's cut off on the middle?

It's OK i've found it :)

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/how-to-turn-a-galaxy-s4-into-a-google-edition-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I highly recommend this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557353 very stable and well supported by the developer. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube that will get you started and i'd recommend TWRP for your custom recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Do you mind posting that link again as the it's cut off on the middle?

It's OK i've found it :)

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/how-to-turn-a-galaxy-s4-into-a-google-edition-phone/

I don't know why it chopped it in half :confused: Thanks for fixing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Curious if anyone here has been using the i9500 with Cyanogenmod 11 or other custom ROMS (Carrier: 3).

I just bought one in China and I've played around with several ROMS but all (except stock) had issues with it not hanging up on calls.

About to go back to a stock ROM, just wondering if anyone out there was in the same boat.

People with similar issues found solutions in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2635758

But I'm not sure how I would obtain the 3 rils.
    I'm not a phone-guy by any means so this is a little out of my field.
    My understanding it that CM11 is CDMA friendly and Ireland is a CDMA zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

I thought only America uses CDMA.

Ah I see, so Ireland is GSM and UMTS?

That should take me a few steps further to a solution, thanks.

EDIT: Flashed with a stock ROM now so hopefully my issues will be sorted.
    I quite enjoyed some of the custom ROMS I installed since I got the phone (Friday), especially CWM11... but to be quite honest I like the standard touchwiz interface just as much.
    Don't see why it gets hated on.

If I don't encounter anymore problems I'll be sticking with this quite happly.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Sully wrote: »
    Anyone having issues since the KitKat roll out?

Had loads of problems following update to KitKat (which the device did itself - never asked if I wanted it).
    1. Battery was terrible lasting only a few hours.
    2. Device overheating.
    3. Serious lag when trying to open apps etc.
    4. Constantly switching itself off and rebooting.
    5. Camera Failure.

Contacted Samsung who said do a factory reset. Did that and it seemed to have sorted itself out except for 1 or 2 issues - Camera Failure. Camera is pretty much buggered - everytime I try to open the camera I get the dreaded "Camera Failed" message. And every now and then the device does heat up but not as bad as before!!

Only had the device since Oct last year. Contacted o2 and all they could say was bring it in and we'll send it off. Driving me nuts not being able to use the camera :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Down load the Google camera or similar see if they pop up the camera fail.
    If it continues use kies to reflash the phone using emergency recovery mode.

Remember : back every thing up first !

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

akaSol wrote: »
    Down load the Google camera or similar see if they pop up the camera fail.
    If it continues use kies to reflash the phone using emergency recovery mode.

Remember : back every thing up first !

>Sol

Thanks akaSol
    Tried that and kies to no avail.... so a trip to o2 methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

cosanostra wrote: »
    I highly recommend this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557353 very stable and well supported by the developer. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube that will get you started and i'd recommend TWRP for your custom recovery

Flashed this 2 days ago and the difference is unbelievable. So smooth without all the samsung bloat and the battery life has improved substantially.

I dont think I'll buy any phone that isn't stock android again.

Flashed the customised version of the above rom last night and I'm really liking it so far. I initially had a problem where every time I put my phone to sleep it would drop the network signal but changing the baseband has resolved this.

I'm missing some of the basic features of touchwiz such as contacts sync, music player, watchon, profile switcher and a few others though I'm finding useful alternatives that I would normally would never have looked at.

Be interesting to see how battery life is but like post above me, I'm loving the smoothness of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Flashed the customised version of the above rom last night and I'm really liking it so far. I initially had a problem where every time I put my phone to sleep it would drop the network signal but changing the baseband has resolved this.

I'm missing some of the basic features of touchwiz such as contacts sync, music player, watchon, profile switcher and a few others though I'm finding useful alternatives that I would normally would never have looked at.

Be interesting to see how battery life is but like post above me, I'm loving the smoothness of everything.
    How do I actually do it? I there a noobies guide anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

jca wrote: »

One thing you could do is install cyanogenmod from their windows installer. Pretty much fool proof. Phone is then rooted (technically meaning you could install any rom from recovery from there) but cyanogenmod is pretty much the same as Google play edition anyway.

jca wrote: »

I used the the easy to follow guide in the first quote in combination with the rom in the second quote.

For anything I wasn't sure about I just had a look at the posts on XDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

This question may have been answered but if I Flash a rom will the mhl to hdmi still work?
    I flashed a few roms on my s2 last year and it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

This question may have been answered but if I Flash a rom will the mhl to hdmi still work?
    I flashed a few roms on my s2 last year and it didn't work

Depends on the rom and the device.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone using the Google Edition Rom has lost use of the IR Blaster?

I used to use mine with WatchOn as I had lost a remote for a second TV and found it quite useful but since installing the rom I've lost this function. From my understanding this was part of the Samsung Rom but from what I've read on XDA it seems to function for most [the notification light apparently doesn't come on before the function works] but not for the various apps I've tested it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

How-to unlock your S4, I haven't tried it but it looks straightforward.
    /hopefully it's ok to post it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

How-to unlock your S4, I haven't tried it but it looks straightforward.
    /hopefully it's ok to post it :o

That doesn't seem to work on international varients. At least it didn't on mine the last time I had an S4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have the ROM from XDA (4.4.4) on my S4 about two weeks now. Wow, a new lease of life to the phone - nice and clean image, not a single crash either.

This is where Android is suffering - each manufacturer customising to suit their brand. It should be a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

JDxtra wrote: »
    I have the ROM from XDA (4.4.4) on my S4 about two weeks now. Wow, a new lease of life to the phone - nice and clean image, not a single crash either.

This is where Android is suffering - each manufacturer customising to suit their brand. It should be a choice!

Link to the rom for a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

MrVestek wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to work on international varients. At least it didn't on mine the last time I had an S4.

The 2nd option brought up the menu for me, I didn't go any further.......yet!

I accidently updated to 4.4.2 recently and having known about certain issues, I can gladly report that the update to KitKat hasn't been as bad as I feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Dunno if its been asked is anyone getting the restart on apps that use camera I'm running cyanagemod 11 is there a fix or recommended a good stable ROM neat ROM was the same

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

just downloaded latest 4.4.4 CM 11 Nightly - havent updated since March so phone should be back to its best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

JDxtra wrote: »

Put this on my mates S4 last night, she is absolutely beasting along after....

Advertisement