Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Haven't had a problem with my google edition ROM! I could be using an xposed tweak that I have forgotten about but I have never had a problem with space! Using a 32gb sandisk ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Got sick of the space issues as well so have flashed back to a stock carrier free ROM (UK BTU).

Suddenly having piles of space again makes a big difference and all the camera bugs etc have disappeared.

Battery life is also noticeably better.

I think I can ignore the Samsung bloat for a properly functioning phone (and being OTA upgradeable) is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Also been using an application called FolderMount which allows you to move data from applications from internal to external (while creating a link). Very hand for large applications or games.

This is fantastic, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got an S4 Active today, upgrade from my S3.

In the YouTube app I'm not getting an option for the 1080p video, the highest resolution available is 720p. The videos are available in 1080p on the desktop site. Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

Edit: I've updated to 4.4.2 and reinstalled YouTube and now have the 1080p version available. BUT all my videos are playing in Black & White with bands across the screen....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Looking for some help here.....how do I enable the zoom feature on the camera? Have tried the obvious places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Looking for some help here.....how do I enable the zoom feature on the camera? Have tried the obvious places!

Pull your two fingers apart (opposite of pinch) to zoom

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Pull your two fingers apart (opposite of pinch) to zoom

Thanks, but keep getting message 'cannot zoom in or out in this mode' and have tried all modes. Apart from modes, there is no readily available settings menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Thanks, but keep getting message 'cannot zoom in or out in this mode' and have tried all modes. Apart from modes, there is no readily available settings menu?

Failing that, the volume up/down should work.

Maybe you need to clear the cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You're in video mode, switch it back to still camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

MrVestek wrote: »
    You're in video mode, switch it back to still camera.

Either that or he's using the front facing camera which has no zoom function.

• Advertisement

Either that or he's using the front facing camera which has no zoom function.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but.....

It's not in video mode;
    Nor front-facing (i.e facing me);
    While the volume buttons prompt the same message!!

It must be something simple, but I'm at a loss (have consulted a few online reviews too!)

P.S. I assume by 'front-facing', you mean facing my front? If not, that would imply no zoom in the normal mode (unlike its predecessors)???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Yeah by front facing I mean using the camera on the front - accessed via the second option down in the camera app.
    Only other time i've seen that message is when I was in a different mode that didn't supppot zoom such as Surround Shot or Panorama. If it's happening in Auto mode then there is something wrong.
    I'm actually using the S5 camera app on mine so there is probably one or two different options/modes.

Maybe try a different camera app on yours and see if same thing is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, i'm having a problem whereby my phone thinks I have the headphones in all of the time. I've tried plugging earphones in and out, tried turning it off and on again, tried a soft reboot, tried taking the battery out for a while........... nothing works.

I've managed to grab an app that toggles the normal settings back on, but the symbol doesn't go away and i'd like it to go back to normal. Anyone ever have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Hey guys, I found an S4 brand new online for €349, is this still a good phone to buy? I don't really want to go over that price at all but is there anything else similar to that price I should be looking at instead? I really would like a 5" screen as I watch a lot of live sport on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I love my S4. It's still an astounding phone. The new gen phones are obviously "better" but the jump from S4 to S5 wasn't pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I love my S4. It's still an astounding phone. The new gen phones are obviously "better" but the jump from S4 to S5 wasn't pretty big.

Yeh I'm thinking the same myself, the price is really quite good for it too. I'm coming from my trusty old iPhone 4 but I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 too so I'm very familiar with it. I think I'll be ordering it, thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

What modems are you guys using?
    Recently brought my S4 back to stock as I was lending it to my dad and he's getting a better signal (same sim card) on his old Ace. He's on Three Ireland so if anyone has a decent signal with them, will ye have a look?

Anyone have any issues with images getting 'stuck' on the desktop?

Have attached two examples below. If I ever open the photo gallery the top bar of the gallery gets 'stuck' behind the notification bar on top. I got sent a football graphic earlier on whatsapp and after viewing the image it is now stuck to the desktop (and I don't even like Fabregas! :D )

The only thing that 'hides' these images is opening an app - otherwise, no matter what app icon screen I move to, they remain. And the apps and widgets appear to float over these images.

S4 is running stock Samsung android.

Screenshot_2014_10_07_13_13_36.jpg

Screenshot_2014_10_07_13_13_24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues with images getting 'stuck' on the desktop?

Have attached two examples below. If I ever open the photo gallery the top bar of the gallery gets 'stuck' behind the notification bar on top. I got sent a football graphic earlier on whatsapp and after viewing the image it is now stuck to the desktop (and I don't even like Fabregas! :D )

The only thing that 'hides' these images is opening an app - otherwise, no matter what app icon screen I move to, they remain. And the apps and widgets appear to float over these images.

S4 is running stock Samsung android.

Screenshot_2014_10_07_13_13_36.jpg

Screenshot_2014_10_07_13_13_24.jpg

Yeah happened mea few times, Id be looking at a snapchat or someones snapchat story and then itd appear as my background. Quick reboot sorted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The wifi has stopped working in my s4. I tried a full restore but it still won't turn on. I'm not impressed as the phone has 7 months contract left and is pretty much useless at home as the 3g is terrible in the house. I had to go down town to finish all the updates after the factory restore. Not happy.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    The wifi has stopped working in my s4. I tried a full restore but it still won't turn on. I'm not impressed as the phone has 7 months contract left and is pretty much useless at home as the 3g is terrible in the house. I had to go down town to finish all the updates after the factory restore. Not happy.

If it's a fault with the device, it would be covered by warranty. No big deal.

Basil3 wrote: »
    If it's a fault with the device, it would be covered by warranty. No big deal.

The phone is 17 months old its surely out of warranty. 24 month contract unfortunately.

jca wrote: »
    The phone is 17 months old its surely out of warranty. 24 month contract unfortunately.

2 year warranty on electronic goods sold in the eu. It's the law.

It's not by accident that Apple increased the iPhone warranty to 2 years. They did it to make themselves look good, but in reality it's how long they would have to honour by law anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Basil3 wrote: »
    2 year warranty on electronic goods sold in the eu. It's the law.

It's not by accident that Apple increased the iPhone warranty to 2 years. They did it to make themselves look good, but in reality it's how long they would have to honour by law anyway.

Irish law is much better than the 2 year EU law. There are loads of threads on it here.

Goods in Ireland must last for a reasonable amount of time.
    e.g. you might not reasonably expect a €20 phone to last 3 years. You might reasonably expect a €600 phone to.

If the shop doesn't agree with you then the small claims court will help you out.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

Yeah happened mea few times, Id be looking at a snapchat or someones snapchat story and then itd appear as my background. Quick reboot sorted it

I can take the odd reboot. But it happens again soon after being rebooted.

Also, how do I turn the little zoom boxes off. I find it really hard to tick boxes on Web pages. Even when they are zoomed way up that ****ing zoom box appears. Can't see an option in settings for it.

timetogo wrote: »
    Irish law is much better than the 2 year EU law. There are loads of threads on it here.

Goods in Ireland must last for a reasonable amount of time.
    e.g. you might not reasonably expect a €20 phone to last 3 years. You might reasonably expect a €600 phone to.

If the shop doesn't agree with you then the small claims court will help you out.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

That's great news, many thanks I'll be calling to the 3 shop in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Started using some Nexus Rom but I have gotten quite tired of it (used to have CM) and the battery life with it is poor compared to Iphones!!

Anyone using a more stable or unstable, rom with good battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Hi folks, couple of questions for you?

Ive had my S4 for about a year now. In the last couple of months the battery life has began to get gradually worse. Last sunday i was using the phone and there was 56% battery on it. It turned itself back on and when it did the battery was down to 16%!

Today i left it in my car, turned off with close to 100 percent battery. Roughly 12 hours later i come back, turn the phone on, it shows 40% then turns off, i turn it back on and its down to 1%!

A fried had been telling me that happened his phone a few times due to cold temperatures so i held the battery up to the car heater for a while, tried again and all of a sudden im back up to 40% battery!!!

Anyway ive been looking at three options.

1) Just replacing the battery with a new one off Ebay.
    2) Rooting the phone and installing a custom rom to improve performance and battery life
    3)investing in one of those cases that can charge the phone when the battery runs down.

Any advice on the best option or maybe a combination of all three??

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Advertisement

rogieop wrote: »
    Hi folks, couple of questions for you?

Ive had my S4 for about a year now. In the last couple of months the battery life has began to get gradually worse. Last sunday i was using the phone and there was 56% battery on it. It turned itself back on and when it did the battery was down to 16%!

Today i left it in my car, turned off with close to 100 percent battery. Roughly 12 hours later i come back, turn the phone on, it shows 40% then turns off, i turn it back on and its down to 1%!

A fried had been telling me that happened his phone a few times due to cold temperatures so i held the battery up to the car heater for a while, tried again and all of a sudden im back up to 40% battery!!!

Anyway ive been looking at three options.

1) Just replacing the battery with a new one off Ebay.
    2) Rooting the phone and installing a custom rom to improve performance and battery life
    3)investing in one of those cases that can charge the phone when the battery runs down.

Any advice on the best option or maybe a combination of all three??

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Bring it back to the shop and get a new one.

Advertisement