Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarianism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

HTML5! wrote: »
    I've read articles claiming it's healthier to be one. Is it really though?

Anyone ever tried it?

Any converts that are feeling way better since becoming one?

I think it would be far too difficult for me to give up meat!

I have to laugh at this.

I think one guy tried it one time, didnt fancy it, took up Atkins instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Has anyone ever met someone who is dating a vegetarian but who has not been forced into vegetarianism by them? Not me.

Every vegetarian I know who is in a relationship has a partner who is not vegetarian. You must know some very controlling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Has anyone ever met someone who is dating a vegetarian but who has not been forced into vegetarianism by them? Not me.

I have met several actually. You'd have to be pretty spineless adult to have a diet foisted on you by another person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Whoever invented Quorn should be shot! It's revolting stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

smash wrote: »

You would say that.

Face it, nobody likes reconstituted potatoe granules anymore, we've moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

smash wrote: »

Don't eat it, then.

I don't mind the chicken style things, but I'm not keen on the burgers.

Bad Santa wrote: »
    You would say that.

Face it, nobody likes reconstituted potatoe granules anymore, we've moved on.

What, Pringles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Shenshen wrote: »
    Don't eat it, then.

I don't mind the chicken style things, but I'm not keen on the burgers.
    I had it when someone bought it to make bolognese and neither of us could eat it. Tried quorn chicken burgers too and found them tasteless.

I've had some delicious vegetarian meals but not enough to make me want to give up meat. Brambles do a savage Spinach Croustad for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I went from full on carnivore to vegan at the start of the year. Just coming up on a month being mostly vegan, with the occasional vegetarian day (chocolate.....mmmmm). I decided to make the change after watching a very good documentary, Vegucated, on Netflix which made convincing arguments for the health benefits of a vegan diet, and the economic benefits too which I wasn't so aware of.

In the documentary three meat eaters take on a 6 week vegan challenge. Before they start they get a health check from a doctor, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol. After the 6 weeks they get another health check. In each case they lost weight and, more importantly, their blood pressure and cholesterol improved significantly.

Now I know that even documentaries can bend the truth so that's why I tried it out for myself. So far I've lost almost 10lbs in weight, with no noticeable difference in muscle mass. I haven't had my blood pressure or cholesterol checked but I feel healthier if that makes sense. I'm sleeping better, ****ting better, fell mentally more alert and rarely get that sleepy, bloated feeling you get after eating a big steak or roast dinner.

Economically I've saved a lot of money as the vegetables and canned goods I buy are much cheaper than meat. I don't have to worry about cross contamination in the kitchen between veg and meat or making sure meat is fresh and safely cooked.

What's more I had some venison when in Paris midway through my vegan challenge. Now usually I love venison but it's like my taste buds have changed, it was just bland and very uninteresting. The vegetables that accompanied it tasted amazing though. And before when I went shopping I bought the same old vegetables and really let the meat dictate the dish. Now I'm now loving the fact that I need to try different vegetables, cook with grains and pulses, use alternative ingredients to make creamy sauces, etc. It's like learning to cook all over again and I really enjoy that.

So it's working out for me and I plan to stick with veganism for now.

There are a few downsides thought.

1. You have to prepare a lot of your own food. Even over here near London vegans and vegetarians are not very well accommodated when it comes to eating out.
    2. Chocolate and Cheese are very hard to replicate without using dairy products. So if you're addicted to either or both you might struggle initially. But to be honest I need to cut down on chocolate and cheese so it's probably a good thing!
    3. Be prepared to have the piss taken out of you by family and friends. For some reason people get angry and defensive when you tell them you've decided not to eat meat or animal products. Even if you show them demonstrable evidence why it's not a bad choice they take it as a personal insult. So I pretty much keep it to myself. If it comes up in conversation I mention it and then leave it go.

But to anyone considering a vegan or vegetarian diet, I say go for it but stick with it for at least a month to feel the benefits. And before you make the change do a good bit of research on recipes and meal plans as you really do need to plan ahead when it comes to eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bluewhitehoops

watching clips of what goes on in the slaughterhouse on youtube was nearly enough turn me into a vegetarian but no way I could stop eating meat for good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That and the fact that a vegetarian diet is generally a luxury for wealthy westerners who have a wide variety of food at the fingertips.

Indeed, a quick five minutes research will show the effects of the Quinoa obsession on people that used to rely on it as a staple.

However, my impression was that the majority of people living in LDC's (or whatever the current term for '3rd-world' is) had a majority vegetarian, if not vegan, diet.

Admittedly, meat is a rare bonus in these instances and the vegetarianism tends to be by necessity rather than choice.

watching clips of what goes on in the slaughterhouse on youtube was nearly enough turn me into a vegetarian but no way I could stop eating meat for good

Modern slaughterhouses are specifically designed to be least stressful to the animal. You can find videos of people mistreating animals, sure, but it's not the norm. If you saw a video of someone mistreating a kid would it put you off having kids yourself? (not a great analogy now that I think about it)

Popinjay wrote: »

However, my impression was that the majority of people living in LDC's (or whatever the current term for '3rd-world' is) had a majority vegetarian, if not vegan, diet.

Admittedly, meat is a rare bonus in these instances and the vegetarianism tends to be by necessity rather than choice.

Bang. Not out of choice. Poor people don't choose to have restricted diets. It would be like describing the famine-stricken Irish of the mid 19th century as primarily vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I went from full on carnivore to vegan at the start of the year. Just coming up on a month being mostly vegan, with the occasional vegetarian day (chocolate.....mmmmm). I decided to make the change after watching a very good documentary, Vegucated, on Netflix which made convincing arguments for the health benefits of a vegan diet, and the economic benefits too which I wasn't so aware of.

In the documentary three meat eaters take on a 6 week vegan challenge. Before they start they get a health check from a doctor, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol. After the 6 weeks they get another health check. In each case they lost weight and, more importantly, their blood pressure and cholesterol improved significantly.

Now I know that even documentaries can bend the truth so that's why I tried it out for myself. So far I've lost almost 10lbs in weight, with no noticeable difference in muscle mass. I haven't had my blood pressure or cholesterol checked but I feel healthier if that makes sense. I'm sleeping better, ****ting better, fell mentally more alert and rarely get that sleepy, bloated feeling you get after eating a big steak or roast dinner.

Economically I've saved a lot of money as the vegetables and canned goods I buy are much cheaper than meat. I don't have to worry about cross contamination in the kitchen between veg and meat or making sure meat is fresh and safely cooked.

What's more I had some venison when in Paris midway through my vegan challenge. Now usually I love venison but it's like my taste buds have changed, it was just bland and very uninteresting. The vegetables that accompanied it tasted amazing though. And before when I went shopping I bought the same old vegetables and really let the meat dictate the dish. Now I'm now loving the fact that I need to try different vegetables, cook with grains and pulses, use alternative ingredients to make creamy sauces, etc. It's like learning to cook all over again and I really enjoy that.

So it's working out for me and I plan to stick with veganism for now.

There are a few downsides thought.

1. You have to prepare a lot of your own food. Even over here near London vegans and vegetarians are not very well accommodated when it comes to eating out.
    2. Chocolate and Cheese are very hard to replicate without using dairy products. So if you're addicted to either or both you might struggle initially. But to be honest I need to cut down on chocolate and cheese so it's probably a good thing!
    3. Be prepared to have the piss taken out of you by family and friends. For some reason people get angry and defensive when you tell them you've decided not to eat meat or animal products. Even if you show them demonstrable evidence why it's not a bad choice they take it as a personal insult. So I pretty much keep it to myself. If it comes up in conversation I mention it and then leave it go.

But to anyone considering a vegan or vegetarian diet, I say go for it but stick with it for at least a month to feel the benefits. And before you make the change do a good bit of research on recipes and meal plans as you really do need to plan ahead when it comes to eating.

What supplements are you taking?

Found the following quite interesting:
    Anatomically and physiologically, people are herbivores.

Facial Muscles
    Carnivore: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    Herbivore: Well-developed
    Omnivore: Reduced
    Human: Well-developed
    Jaw Type
    Carnivore: Angle not expanded
    Herbivore: Expanded angle
    Omnivore: Angle not expanded
    Human: Expanded angle
    Jaw Joint Location
    Carnivore: On same plane as molar teeth
    Herbivore: Above the plane of the molars
    Omnivore: On same plane as molar teeth
    Human: Above the plane of the molars
    Jaw Motion
    Carnivore: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
    Herbivore: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    Omnivore: Shearing; minimal side-to-side
    Human: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    Major Jaw Muscles
    Carnivore: Temporalis
    Herbivore: Masseter and pterygoids
    Omnivore: Temporalis
    Human: Masseter and pterygoids
    Mouth Opening vs. Head Size
    Carnivore: Large
    Herbivore: Small
    Omnivore: Large
    Human: Small
    Teeth (Incisors)
    Carnivore: Short and pointed
    Herbivore: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    Omnivore: Short and pointed
    Human: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    Teeth (Canines)
    Carnivore: Long, sharp and curved
    Herbivore: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
    Omnivore: Long, sharp and curved
    Human: Short and blunted
    Teeth (Molars)
    Carnivore: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
    Herbivore: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
    Omnivore: Sharp blades and/or flattened
    Human: Flattened with nodular cusps
    Chewing
    Carnivore: None; swallows food whole
    Herbivore: Extensive chewing necessary
    Omnivore: Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
    Human: Extensive chewing necessary
    Saliva
    Carnivore: No digestive enzymes
    Herbivore: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    Omnivore: No digestive enzymes
    Human: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    Stomach
    Carnivore: Simple
    Herbivore: Simple or multiple chambers
    Omnivore: Simple
    Human: Simple
    Stomach Acidity
    Carnivore: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Herbivore: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach
    Omnivore: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Human: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach
    Stomach Capacity
    Carnivore: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Herbivore: Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract
    Omnivore: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Human: 21% to 27% of total volume of digestive tract
    Length of Small Intestine
    Carnivore: 3 to 6 times body length
    Herbivore: 10 to more than 12 times body length
    Omnivore: 4 to 6 times body length
    Human: 10 to 11 times body length
    Colon
    Carnivore: Simple, short and smooth
    Herbivore: Long, complex; may be sacculated
    Omnivore: Simple, short and smooth
    Human: Long, sacculated
    Liver
    Carnivore: Can detoxify vitamin A
    Herbivore: Cannot detoxify vitamin A
    Omnivore: Can detoxify vitamin A
    Human: Cannot detoxify vitamin A
    Kidneys
    Carnivore: Extremely concentrated urine
    Herbivore: Moderately concentrated urine
    Omnivore: Extremely concentrated urine
    Human: Moderately concentrated urine
    Nails
    Carnivore: Sharp claws
    Herbivore: Flattened nails or blunt hooves
    Omnivore: Sharp claws
    Human: Flattened nails

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Most of the scientific community found it to be quite interesting bullshit.

Seriously, why would that matter?

The fact is, humans are perfectly able to eat and digest vegetables, grains, dairy (well, some of us), and cooked meat and fish.
    We CAN eat and digest any of the above.

The question for some people is what they WANT to eat, not what they're possibly meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Bang. Not out of choice. Poor people don't choose to have restricted diets. It would be like describing the famine-stricken Irish of the mid 19th century as primarily vegan

But technically humans began having a mostly vegetarian diet and only started eating more and more meat as they migrated to colder climates where vegetation wasn't as plentiful all year round. Meat and fish were then added to the diet to sustain them during the colder months. A good example of this is the Eskimos.

Those of us lucky enough to live in areas where vegetables are plentiful don't need to eat meat to sustain us, it's just something that has become ingrained in society. But my point is a vegetarian diet is not a restricted diet. An omnivore diet is a luxury many humans have adopted as the norm. Not that I have a problem with that.

It would be like describing the famine-stricken Irish of the mid 19th century as primarily vegan

I'm against cruelty to the common spud. Aren't you?

Seriously, why would that matter?

The fact is, humans are perfectly able to eat and digest vegetables, grains, dairy (well, some of us), and cooked meat and fish.
    We CAN eat and digest any of the above.

The question for some people is what they WANT to eat, not what they're possibly meant to.

That might be the question for you but that doesn't make it the question for everybody.

Just because we can digest meat sufficiently (and some would question that) does not mean we should be eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

But technically humans began having a mostly vegetarian diet and only started eating more and more meat as they migrated to colder climates where vegetation wasn't as plentiful all year round. Meat and fish were then added to the diet to sustain them during the colder months. A good example of this is the Eskimos.

Those of us lucky enough to live in areas where vegetables are plentiful don't need to eat meat to sustain us, it's just something that has become ingrained in society. But my point is a vegetarian diet is not a restricted diet. An omnivore diet is a luxury many humans have adopted as the norm. Not that I have a problem with that.
    You don't need veg either.

There are substitutes for everything.

Does that mean eating veg is a luxury that society has ingrained on us?

awec wrote: »
    You don't need veg either.

There are substitutes for everything.

Does that mean eating veg is a luxury that society has ingrained on us?

I think you'll feel the absence of veg (and fruit) in your diet a lot quicker than you would feel the absence of meat, to be honest.

But then, humans have adapted to that as well.

Let's just agree that eating anything at all is luxury.

Absolute bilge of the highest order. Humans were never mostly vegetarian. Pre-human hominids were eating meat for millions of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I've known both meat eaters and vegetarians who've had horrendous diets. I don't think you can say one is "healthier" than the other.

Consider the below hypothetical day's eating... all vegetarian but not at all healthy!

Breakfast - Special K with milk, white bread with margarine and jam

Lunch - White roll with coleslaw, lettuce, tomato. Packet of crisps. Can of coke.

Dinner - Potato waffles, baked beans, slice of margarita pizza. Two beers.

I think you'll feel the absence of veg (and fruit) in your diet a lot quicker than you would feel the absence of meat, to be honest.

But then, humans have adapted to that as well.

Let's just agree that eating anything at all is luxury.
    My point is here that there are thin insinuations in this thread that eating meat is unnatural or a result of society forcing it on us.

There are substitutes for everything these days, technically we could exclude meat or veg from our diet.

Personally I eat very little veg. I find it incredibly bland. Even if put in a nice dish to me it's "just veg". Meat substitutes don't appeal to me at all (though I do find it slightly ironic that people who declare we don't actually need to eat meat go and look for a substitute for meat in their diet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

But technically humans began having a mostly vegetarian diet and only started eating more and more meat as they migrated to colder climates where vegetation wasn't as plentiful all year round.

No, humans started eating meat because it was calorie rich.
    Which has huge advantages in gaining weight to last through the winter.
    Also, they were able to use the rest of the animal eg. skins for clothing, shoes, canoes, blankets etc.

Or do you propose that early human "vegetarians" used cabbage leafs for clothing/shoes etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I've known both meat eaters and vegetarians who've had horrendous diets. I don't think you can say one is "healthier" than the other.

Consider the below hypothetical day's eating... all vegetarian but not at all healthy!

Breakfast - Special K with milk, white bread with margarine and jam

Lunch - White roll with coleslaw, lettuce, tomato. Packet of crisps. Can of coke.

Dinner - Potato waffles, baked beans, slice of margarita pizza. Two beers.
    Jaysus, I used to be a vegetarian! Who knew? I thought it was just called being on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Eat your meat raw ... you know like all the other meat eating species

Lets see how many "meat eaters" are left after 1 month

Fukcing omnivore wannabees

Or do you propose that early human "vegetarians" used cabbage leafs for clothing/shoes etc ?

I'd heard it was a fig, but a cabbage leaf is bigger, so we'll go with that.

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Eat your meat raw ... you know like all the other meat eating species

Lets see how many "meat eaters" are left after 1 month

Fukcing omnivore wannabees
    Do you eat all your veg raw? :)

I imagine not, given that raw veg is hard to digest and can cause abdominal pain if you eat it too much and too often.

Advertisement