Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarianism

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've read articles claiming it's healthier to be one. Is it really though?

Anyone ever tried it?

Any converts that are feeling way better since becoming one?

I think it would be far too difficult for me to give up meat!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

No way, I f*cking love meat. Mmm meat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Gosh have we gone full circle on all the topics again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I like salad, particularly meaty salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You can find articles claiming all sorts of bull****. What you should be concerned with is what they can actually prove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Chucken wrote: »
    Gosh have we gone full circle on all the topics again?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Been eating vegetarian food a good bit lately. I haven't had meat in a few weeks but I wouldn't consider myself vegetarian. It's surprisingly easy and tasty to cut out meat. But every so often it's nice to have some chicken or steak. I guess each to their own. But there's no denying a vegetarian diet tends to be healthier because of more variety of fruit and veg.

And yes, I know not all vegetarians are healthy eaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Vegetables have feelings!

Have you ever heard a carrot scream as you peel it and fcuk it into a pot to boil......the horror!

Vegetarians should be ashamed of yerselves.

HTML5! wrote: »
    Yes.

Ok. Just checking. Carry on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I love being a vagatarian

Chucken wrote: »
    Ok. Just checking. Carry on :D

I like your username. It's like what you'd call an enormous chicken that terrorizes a small village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Anyone ever tried it?

I turned vegetarian partly for health reasons - it is healthier than a diet with red meat if you do it right and eat the foods you need definitely (and that's in comparison to a healthy omnivore diet), however I would say the healthiest diet on paper would be a pescetarian diet. No red meat, but you can eat fish.

In saying that, there is nothing wrong with some red meat about the size of a pack of cards a day. My veganism hates me for typing this though! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Like watching hot chicks feeling up those plastic covered cucumbers in the supermarket. Durty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Vegetarianism can be healthier depending on what sort of diet you eat, like with being an omnivore. You need to ensure you are still getting enough iron and protein especially since you will be missing these from your diet. As humans we don't need meat but yes people enjoy it.

I was a vegetarian for 13 years but at the time I was a very fussy eater and didn't substitute enough vitamins and minerals and so I started to eat meat, it is also difficult to go out or eat in friends houses etc. I reckon I could go back and do it again now since I have started to eat a lot more varied foods including tofu, lentils and cheese.

Fact is that people eat too much meat and this is bad for you. Also there are environmental and food supply reasons we should eat less meat. Here is a good list of reasons.

http://www.britishmeat.com/49.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No way, I f*cking love meat. Mmm meat

Let the obvious ones slide, too easy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I like your username. It's like what you'd call an enormous chicken that terrorizes a small village.

:pac: I'm a gentle old soul I'll have you know!

I'll answer your OP now ;)
    I've been vegetarian since 1980 (yes I'm that old) and I've only died of hunger once or twice! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no way could i give up meat. if god didnt want us to eat meat then he wouldnt have made cows so tasty

no way could i give up meat. if god didnt want us to eat meat then he wouldnt have made cows so tasty

Or horses? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Anyone ever tried it?

O-be-one. The force will be with you.

Only a nut could replace meat in their diet. Or you'd need a pulse. I'm never too sure. I always mix up my nuts and pulses.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've never had meat. Born a veggie. I'm very healthy, healthier than most probably. Some people think being a vegetarian is the same as eating meat just without the meat, i.e. instead of steak, spuds and carrots the dinner would be just spuds and carrots. You need to balance out what you eat and it can be healthier than a meat diet.

• Advertisement

CiaranK wrote: »
    I've never had meat. Born a veggie. .

You were certainly not born a vegetarian. You are a member of Homo Sapiens and as such your natural diet is omnivorous - including the flesh of animals. What you have decided to eat after, or what diet you had pushed on you by parents is another story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Can you imagine never eating crispy bacon ever again.. or a lamb chop, or a sirloin steak Noooooooooo!!

I will never be a vegetarian.

Didn't think there were that many health reasons.

Didn't think there were that many health reasons.

I had a skim through and a majority of that page is unfounded and/or untrue

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You were certainly not born a vegetarian. You are a member of Homo Sapiens and as such your natural diet is omnivorous - including the flesh of animals. What you have decided to eat after, or what diet you had pushed on you by parents is another story

Ah would you feck off, it did him no harm, you could say the same for your parents having you wearing whatever gender appropriate clothing you do or drinking tea.

I don't give a shite what other people eat, but what annoys me are people like that who get so worked up about other peoples diets. Despite popular opinion a majority of these are omnivores.

Edit: In saying that though, it's possibly because a majority of people ARE omnivores! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

"There was a time when the same topics were repeated once every 2, maybe 3 months, now it's once every 2 or 3 days"

-Unknown poster, some time last year

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I had a skim through and a majority of that page is unfounded and/or untrue

I read of studies by various universaties that concluded that a vegetarian diet was healthier....

I'm yet to be 100% convinced though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My husband was veggie a few years ago and I thought i'd kill him. Trying to make a decent dinner took ages with peeling endless vegetables and preparing various pulses. He gave up being a veggie when I stopped cooking for him - it seems he was only a veggie while it wasn't a hassle for him.

Crea wrote: »
    My husband was veggie a few years ago and I thought i'd kill him. Trying to make a decent dinner took ages with peeling endless vegetables and preparing various pulses. He gave up being a veggie when I stopped cooking for him - it seems he was only a veggie while it wasn't a hassle for him.

Yeah it does appear to take a lot more effort alright.

Meat is just easy!

• Advertisement

Crea wrote: »

Hahaha, 'tis true that doing vegetarianism well is hard work at times! :P Unless you make in bulk and keep it in the fridge; one great advantage of vegetarianism (especially veganism) is there is very little that can go off and make you sick after eating. Kidney beans are actually the only really dodgy thing a vegan could have!

Advertisement