Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Do any of ye on here grant access to your icbf details to AI companies and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Do any of ye on here grant access to your icbf details to AI companies and the likes?

Yeah all the ai companies have access to mine- however it has complicated the breeding season as there are list from all the different ai companies in the flask as to which straw goes in which animal
    But it has its perks as semen for these animals is very cheap wink wink nudge nudge

Vets and auctioneers have access also

stanflt wrote: »
    Yeah all the ai companies have access to mine- however it has complicated the breeding season as there are list from all the different ai companies in the flask as to which straw goes in which animal
    But it has its perks as semen for these animals is very cheap wink wink nudge nudge

Vets and auctioneers have access also

No flask of my own yet so can't go down that road yet.
    Will AI companies find the bull mothers with access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

stanflt wrote: »
    26n 14s

s o a 21n 24s

I put out a lot of s o a in liquid form a good few years ago now on silage ground, 'twas free of charge at the time. Locked up a lot of minerals, mainly copper I think. Ever since I'm wary of applying too much sulphur in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I put out a lot of s o a in liquid form a good few years ago now on silage ground, 'twas free of charge at the time. Locked up a lot of minerals, mainly copper I think. Ever since I'm wary of applying too much sulphur in one go.

Most of my farm loves it. Always get out 20 units. Did you get from Stonearch by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Not fond of putting out too much of any fert in one go. The fert for the silage is put out in 2 or more applications.
    I try to get S out via 2 half rate applications of ASN. And top up if needed with sulpha can or Richland.
    Sulphur saved my ass during the drought last year. It should be high up on the list on any land that is free draining.

Most of my farm loves it. Always get out 20 units. Did you get from Stonearch by any chance?

No. From a co. in Little Island. Can't remember their name. 'Twas used for refining a drug and given free to farmers. They are still doing it as far as I know. 20 units should be fine. I'd say I put out 3 times that much.:eek:

Sheeba for you
    Kmars

Paint, sorry but can only load 2 pics at a time?

Paint, sorry but can only load 2 pics at a time?

How many cows do they do?
    My father still doesn't believe in tail paint. Asked him this morning who was bulling. He couldn't answer me :)

• Advertisement

I get about 60-70 cows from each bottle. I know a lad who uses a rad roller and ordinary tail paint . The rad roller allows him to apply from the milking parlour pit. Must try it myself.

I get about 60-70 cows from each bottle. I know a lad who uses a rad roller and ordinary tail paint . The rad roller allows him to apply from the milking parlour pit. Must try it myself.

I do it from the pit with the pot and brush. Paint everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 29,193 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i use the spray on tail paint in pit

With the rad roller you don't have to go climbing.

With the rad roller you don't have to go climbing.

How will that work?

whelan2 wrote: »
    i use the spray on tail paint in pit

Tried that last year. Very expensive and only get about 20 cows/can

Tried that last year. Very expensive and only get about 20 cows/can
    really, i do them all with 1 can, then the next week i use a different colour

Maybe I was being excessive so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Use the cans all the time its the only job I dont think its expensive it only has to get one cow in calf to pay for itself.

Same for heifers tired everything kamars scratch cards etc went back to tail paint last year and just spending half an hour watching them a couple of times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

moy83 wrote: »
    That stick waving is backwards . The father made 4 attempts to back a heifer out of the crush with a fork this morning but didn't get her out and he left her there . A few minutes later my 8 yr old walked her back nice and quietly just waving his hand in front of her face .
    When she was out he asked the father would he put her in again and he would show him how to do it :D

That one surely belongs in the best moment in farming thread :D

Its one thing i cant stand is watching lads use a stick for no reason, really pisses me off when i see lad in mart ring and he has to hit the stick off every bloody animal, including calves following the mother out the gate :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    That one surely belongs in the best moment in farming thread :D

Its one thing i cant stand is watching lads use a stick for no reason, really pisses me off when i see lad in mart ring and he has to hit the stick off every bloody animal, including calves following the mother out the gate :(:(:(

Ye friend of mine told me he throws away all the sticks out of the parlour :D his father goes wild.
    I only use a stick to guide animals. Only hit if they try go through me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

What is the name of the stuff you use ?
    How many cows will 1 can do?

td5man wrote: »
    i get around 80-90 cows out of a can, no need to spray autumn calvers at the minute, will go out and look at name on can, i just pick up a few different colours in the vets/deeside

i get around 80-90 cows out of a can, no need to spray autumn calvers at the minute, will go out and look at name on can, i just pick up a few different colours in the vets/deeside

FIL made the one I had bought

Why change colour weekly?

Why change colour weekly?
    the ones that havent had a heat will have a few colours on them

td5man wrote: »
    its a white can with red and green writting on it, mac is the brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Same here! :)

How will that work?

Long reach with an elbow on it and not too wide,used for painting behind radiators.

http://www.paintmarine.co.uk/22-rad-roller-handle-185-p.asp

• Advertisement

Washing two milk tank's everyday is some pain in the hole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement