Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Clyde is 100%, if Kmar is not on the box do not use. Kellogg's Corn Flakes and Corn flakes are not the same thing.

I use extra glue when applying.

I heard a new one yesterday, clip tail head and use crayon. Local Ai guy recons its the best he's come across for heifers. Any one d this?

sheebadog wrote: »
    Was planning breeding program yesterday with AI technician and he mentioned 'Kamars'. He said that they are new to the market and cost €25 for 12.

I've heard them mentioned here before, are they worth it?
    He said that they are self-adhesive, does it stay on?
    Any opinions??

Is this program for heifers or cows?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    what time do ye start milking lads? I get up at 6 and bring them before 4, put in a sound system last night in the milking parlour, the cows done some looking this morning!

Cups on 6 am and 3.45 pm.
    Radio not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Radio not allowed

Out of curiosity why no radio?? People not concentrating or what? I don't have a radio and it doesn't bother me, a lot of people find it strange!

Cups on 6am and 3pm here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

what time do ye start milking lads? I get up at 6 and bring them before 4, put in a sound system last night in the milking parlour, the cows done some looking this morning!

Start at 7 here, home by 8:30 for brekie with family. 4:30 in the evening. Gate closed by 6.
    Radio in a few years. Radio 1 , cows like to keep up with current affairs.
    Put in wifi this year.
    Know of a guy that has a 40" flat screen in parlour with sky on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Is this program for heifers or cows?

Was thinking of using on cows as well as heifers.
    Jeez there was a few quid to be made by the man that imported them to France first.
    Having said that the French are hard to change to new tech!
    When we tail paint the French workers are too embarrassed to hunt out the cows to field. People taking pix of the cows. See a few neighbours at it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Radio not allowed
    supposedly classical music will increase theyre yield, lyric fm this morning, very relaxing

Cups on at 6am and at 5pm. Takes three hours. Radio not allowed!

Why no radio lads. I find everything is more relaxed with radio on, both cows and milkers. And cows are used to noise around the place. No sh1tting if strange noises or people around the place.

Why no radio lads. I find everything is more relaxed with radio on, both cows and milkers. And cows are used to noise around the place. No sh1tting if strange noises or people around the place.

I had two incidents where I saw lads standing listening to gift grub or some rubbish. I find it a real distraction myself, I rarely turn on in the tractor even

• Advertisement

Can someone remind me of the N & S in ASN and Sulphate of Amonia. I have some silage ground looking peeky, drought(only joking)

Was thinking of using on cows as well as heifers.
    Jeez there was a few quid to be made by the man that imported them to France first.
    Having said that the French are hard to change to new tech!
    When we tail paint the French workers are too embarrassed to hunt out the cows to field. People taking pix of the cows. See a few neighbours at it now!

I'd say they'd be more worked up if their salary wasn't in their accounts at months end.

Check out Gregg Care website for really handy paint cans that also make application easy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

start milking at 6.30 am and 4,30 pm, lad who does a few milkings for me milks at 5.30 am, really notice the extra milk in them in the evenings when he has been here. edited to say we have a radio

Gave up the cigs 3 months ago ( was smoking 50+ at the end). If I didn't have the distraction of the radio while I was giving them up I'd say I'd end up knawing on the kick bar or trying to roll a cows tail into a spliff or something.
    Sometimes distraction can be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Gave up the cigs 3 months ago ( was smoking 50+ at the end). If I didn't have the distraction of the radio while I was giving them up I'd say I'd end up knawing on the kick bar or trying to roll a cows tail into a spliff or something.
    fair play for giving them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Clyde is 100%, if Kmar is not on the box do not use. Kellogg's Corn Flakes and Corn flakes are not the same thing.

I use extra glue when applying.

I heard a new one yesterday, clip tail head and use crayon. Local Ai guy recons its the best he's come across for heifers. Any one d this?
    Yep I do that with thee tail paint on the cows. Works very well. I was going to put crayons in the heifers as well but wasn't going to cut the hair

Some spliff ! There could be a kick off that!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm the lazy one here, up at 7.15 in the morning, evenings once I'm fully done by 7pm I'm happy. And couldn't live without the radio.

Why complicate things?
    Plus I'd rather milkers focused on the job in hand.
    Radio stations are shyte here anyhow!

Two ladies started milking for the first time this am.
    Won't have them back. They are the stick waving types. Push cows through at the highest speed possible. I think that it's a French thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Won't have them back. They are the stick waving types. Push cows through at the highest speed possible. I think that it's a French thing.

My father must have a bit of French in him so.
    He started milking with me again and I hate having another person in the parlour. I'm just standing around.
    He shouts and bangs sticks off walls the whole job.
    I prefers to just open gate and give them a poke of the stick and walk them out.
    Calm cows relates to SCC and all that I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭mf240

7 30 am and 6/7 pm start milking.

Will start at 6 am if busy and can be anything up to 12 at night if busy or away for the day.

Been meaning to get a radio for parlour. Never use stick unless to tip a cow up into her place.

Cows don't like to be rushed and like to take their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

That stick waving is backwards . The father made 4 attempts to back a heifer out of the crush with a fork this morning but didn't get her out and he left her there . A few minutes later my 8 yr old walked her back nice and quietly just waving his hand in front of her face .
    When she was out he asked the father would he put her in again and he would show him how to do it :D

My father must have a bit of French in him so.
    He started milking with me again and I hate having another person in the parlour. I'm just standing around.
    He shouts and bangs sticks off walls the whole job.
    I prefers to just open gate and give them a poke of the stick and walk them out.
    Calm cows relates to SCC and all that I believe

100% agree on the scc.
    Changed milkers a while back and scc dropped by 50k almost immediately.
    Does anyone have the 'electric dog' to push cows through?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Electric dog ???

Always think it's gas how a good dog can get cattle quickly and calmly out of a field, while if i was on foot or on a quad I'd have to zoom round like an edjit shouting and waving and getting stressed out and stressing them out..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm the lazy one here, up at 7.15 in the morning, evenings once I'm fully done by 7pm I'm happy. And couldn't live without the radio.

Must be the latest starting on here cups on at 8 in the morning and half 5 in the evening out the gate by 7 in the evening happy enough with that.radio here in some form since I can remember days ya would turn it on days ya would forget it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

moy83 wrote: »
    That stick waving is backwards . The father made 4 attempts to back a heifer out of the crush with a fork this morning but didn't get her out and he left her there . A few minutes later my 8 yr old walked her back nice and quietly just waving his hand in front of her face .
    When she was out he asked the father would he put her in again and he would show him how to do it :D

Always found when milking cows back in the day strangely relaxing. Despite getting covered in ****e a lot the hum of the machine and all kind of shuts everything else out. While it can be very frustrating if you are in a hurry to get finished early slowing down to the cows pace and just letting them move at their own pace can get you to relax a bit too.

Stuck a radio in from time to time but the boss man and myself have very different tastes so if I had it on in a Sunday morning it could be oldies & irish from county sound and that would just make me want to turn the power hose on it, I'm sure he felt the same listing to kiss fm.

moy83 wrote: »

Lol

Can someone remind me of the N & S in ASN and Sulphate of Amonia. I have some silage ground looking peeky, drought(only joking)

Bump, Freedom do you know or will I have to Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭stanflt

Bump, Freedom do you know or will I have to Google

26n 14s

s o a 21n 24s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement