Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Just served another heifer there. She was very very nervous nearly jumped out of her skin in the crush. What do ye do with nervous heifers?
    She will be a nightmare in the parlour next spring

Had a nervous heifer in parlour this yr. Used to come in at end of row and my 11 yr old goes up and keeps stroking her back and talking to her-i was in a knot laughing as he was asking her was she going to the moovies. Did this a few times and She's grand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Had a nervous heifer in parlour this yr. Used to come in at end of row and my 11 yr old goes up and keeps stroking her back and talking to her-i was in a knot laughing as he was asking her was she going to the moovies. Did this a few times and She's grand now.

I may ask the girlfriend can we have a child so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I take no notice of what they do in the crush, it turns the most docile old cows crazy at times. Have two heifers here who are the polar opposite, as calves it's cute when they're friendly and follow you around. As they get older it losses its appeal.

Got an offer on out of date dry cow tubes today. Won't need them till end of July. Any issue with using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Got an offer on out of date dry cow tubes today. Won't need them till end of July. Any issue with using them?

What would bord bia inspector say???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I may ask the girlfriend can we have a child so :D

i'll lease you a few until you get your own.

td5man wrote: »
    i'll lease you a few until you get your own.

Free of charge I hope? They'll be well fed and will spend the summer picking stones and cutting weeds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fertility tested 10 fr bulls today prior to goingvto new homes.a worthwhile job as I discovered one with low sperm count that vet wouldn't certify.tis a funny job to watch vet doing ,for me not bull!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Free of charge I hope? They'll be well fed and will spend the summer picking stones and cutting weeds :D

free training sounds like a plan. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone at dairy sale in carnaros today, any prices?

• Advertisement

By god there us some serious set ups down in fermoy.
    Past one lad and there must be 300 jex calves in a paddock.
    HEAVEN!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

HEAVEN!!!!!!

300 jerseys, ahh everyone has their troubles, poor fu#ker

• Registered Users Posts: 29,298 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

bulls or heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

HEAVEN!!!!!!

Bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

One mans heaven,another's hell!!!!

HEAVEN!!!!!!

Okay a bit over the top there by me more like 180-200.
    I got a bit excited......can ye blame me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I know a dairyman, munster supporter near nenagh who would love to follow the cows with them :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

lads and lassies quick question, my Friesian sweeper bull broke leg today in shed trying to get out at heifers in for ai, anyway now I without the bull, I was tempting on asking a neighbour who has fattening fr bulls for a loan of one to sweep up after 5 weeks ai on heifers, is this a bad idea as these be fattening bulls not vaccinated against bvd or lepto even tho there tested for bvd as I don't want to spend big money on a bull to run for 3 weeks and only get 1 or 2 heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭visatorro

Wouldn't chance it tbh

Wouldn't chance either. Disease risks aside, it's chancy to use a complete unknown on heifers. It could make a very difficult end to the calving next spring and wreck a few heifers on ya. Is there no where you could pick up a fresian bull, with a bit of breeding. They are around.
    Probably being over cautious, but I hate fu€kips in calving season.

• Advertisement

I reared bull calves the first year here as i had no quota, i rang the guy who i bought them off for their best figures and used one of them to clean up with the cows, i have some nice cows from them

Our mop up bulls come from dairy farmer who's keeping buls to finish. All progeny sold

Never had a bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Our mop up bulls come from dairy farmer who's keeping buls to finish. All progeny sold

Never had a bother

to be honest I sold some of the bulls he has as 3 week old calves so I would know there background

case 956 wrote: »
    to be honest I sold some of the bulls he has as 3 week old calves so I would know there background

There's your answer

Many new entrants setting up around ye?? A cousin and 2 other lads are starting in the parish, will many more get in??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,298 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Many new entrants setting up around ye?? A cousin and 2 other lads are starting in the parish, will many more get in??

None that i know of around here

kevthegaff wrote: »

4 that I know of within 4 miles of me
    120 conversion from sucklers
    120 conversion from beef
    150 from tillage completely new with robots
    250 rented, coming from a herd of 450. They're going to continue with home herd of 400 with 250 on out farm. Fathers place raring heifers for both.

And a lot of big expansions

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Never had them as clean.

satstheway wrote: »
    Never had them as clean.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Why?

After 2 weeks of horrible tbc's up to170, discovered the problem on Thursday got txt last night tbc of 3. Heaven

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement