Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Raid 2

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It seemed poorly marketed too. I remember seeing a lot more trailers, TV spots and posters with the original. Apparently it's already made over its budget in Indonesia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

S.M.B. wrote: »
    not really though, it's doing pretty poorly

it has also expanded in the states and failed miserably to gain some traction

but if dvd sales and netflix licencing is where they will make the bulk of their money then it's not an issue

i'm guessing there are studio folk unhappy with its current performance though
    the states isn't a hotbed for foreign movies is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

the article seems to be taking the angle that a major distributor released the movie statewide because it's a great movie, knowing it's audience...kinda misleading saying it bombed.
    I'm not trying to say it bombed.

I'm trying to say that it hasn't been a financial success at the box office but also acknowledging that there's money to be made from different channels.

The article even finishes on "Expanding The Raid 2 onto so many screens may not have been good business, and but it was unquestionably good."

Something tells me that the Raid 2 will be a word-of-mouth movie, which is something that you don't get much of any more. As mentioned previously - it's an R-Rated foreign-language movie, so there was never going to be a big market for it on this side of the world. Having said that, the screening I saw it in was considerably packed, considering all the factors mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

1 was in many ways a word of mouth movie too don't forget. It's certainly how I found that gem of a movie.

• Advertisement

jamc wrote: »

That article is incredibly flawed. They are classify it as a flop as it has no chance of making back it's production budget in US cinemas. Generally you need to make double your production cost in order to be a success and Americans' deem a film a flop if it doesn't accomplish that in US cinemas.

The Raid 2 has by this stage made more than its production budget worldwide, with some estimating that it's home box office take will more than cover the production cost.
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    not really though, it's doing pretty poorly

it has also expanded in the states and failed miserably to gain some traction

but if dvd sales and netflix licencing is where they will make the bulk of their money then it's not an issue

i'm guessing there are studio folk unhappy with its current performance though

It's not doing poorly at all. It made just under a million last week on less than a thousand screens which is damn good for a low budget, R rated, 2.5 hour foreign language film that has little marketing. When you look at it and what it's done it's a small little hit, it's going to turn quite the profit and that's before it even gets to the home markets.

The distributors in the US would be happy looking at the business it's doing over there. It's not doing Avatar numbers but for such a niche title it's doing really damn good and there was no real drop off in the second week which is unusual. Expect it to keep doing consistent business over the next few weeks

It reminds me of Gareth Edwards, who wrote, directed, and did the effects for, Monsters. He then went on to get a huge budget movie in Godzilla - can you imagine what Gareth Evans could do with a similar budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

damn, didn't get around to going to see this yet and wanted to in the next few days but it seems it's not showing anywhere anymore...?

That's the thing about foreign and independent films. You have to bite the apple quickly before they disappear from cinemas.

There is a chance that the Lighthouse will have a few more screenings though so I'd keep my eye out.

e_e wrote: »
    That's the thing about foreign and independent films. You have to bite the apple quickly before they disappear from cinemas.

There is a chance that the Lighthouse will have a few more screenings though so I'd keep my eye out.

To be fair to cinemas around the country, they kept The Raid for 3 weeks so it's not like it was a limited run. I've seen $200m+ blockbusters get less time in the local multiplex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Holy **** is all I'll say, Excellent film. Doesn't have the same interior setting but ups the ante considerably in my opinion while adding to the story

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Holy **** is all I'll say, Excellent film. Doesn't have the same interior setting but ups the ante considerably in my opinion while adding to the story

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant

What he said X1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Haven't seen this myself.

Just wondering if anyone who didn't like the first film thought this was better?

Personally the first film didn't do it for me - whilst the action was undoubtedly impressive I felt like after a while it was just repetitive. I always thought the first film would have made a much more enjoyable short film myself.

My opinion probably won't go down here too well though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

went to see the movie a couple of days ago. blown away by it tbh. I'd read some people criticizing it but other than maybe making it about 10 minutes shorter, i thought it was a fantastic movie. It

I enjoyed how the story gradually built up steam, the characters felt alive, loved some of the cinematography. the version i watched was dubbed, but the dubbing was actually pretty good. And the fight scenes? I was dancing around in my seat trying to avoid the punches and kicks :)

I'll be getting this on DVD when it comes out

Only found out today that the music that ends the film was from NIN (I have this CD too :o ). Such an eerily beautiful piece and makes for such a fantastic final moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just...........glorious. The first film was tighter but this was just hypnotic to watch with some great cinematography in between the action to keep things ticking along.

First half is a bit slow but builds the film up to a relentlessly vicious 2nd half, that kitchen fight was just fantastic. Most of the fight sequences had me smiling from ear to ear with it's dark humour sprinkled throughout and some proper visceral hits being dished.

The Raid 3 has a massive hill to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Just...........glorious. The first film was tighter but this was just hypnotic to watch with some great cinematography in between the action to keep things ticking along.

First half is a bit slow but builds the film up to a relentlessly vicious 2nd half, that kitchen fight was just fantastic. Most of the fight sequences had me smiling from ear to ear with it's dark humour sprinkled throughout and some proper visceral hits being dished.

The Raid 3 has a massive hill to climb.

What was your take on the end?
    The doors opened and there was a load of lads standing there looking like they were going to run at him. The way he said "I'm done" implied that he wasn't going to fight anymore and that they were just going to go over and beat him to death?

I just assumed that they were
    offering to let him join their gang and Rama just had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

e_e wrote: »
    I just assumed that they were
    offering to let him join their gang and Rama just had enough.

That was my take too, that
    the Japanese guy made him an offer to join them to which Rama, understandably enough, had enough of this shìt.

I imagine the 3rd film will pick up directly from there, probably even include the dialogue so we'll know what was said and that they simply won't let him walk away.

They'll make it out that he has a debt to pay to them, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Duggy747 wrote: »
    That was my take too, that
    the Japanese guy made him an offer to join them to which Rama, understandably enough, had enough of this shìt.

I imagine the 3rd film will pick up directly from there, probably even include the dialogue so we'll know what was said and that they simply won't let him walk away.

They'll make it out that he has a debt to pay to them, maybe.

I think I read that
    the third film will run concurrently to the second, set two hours before the The Raid 2 finishes or something like that (edit: checked IMDB, set 3 hours before 2 finishes)

Watched this over the weekend, great show. Think I prefer the first but will have to watch it again. The version I saw was dubbed (which I HATE), always prefer to watch in the original language with subs. The violence was offputting at times but didn't make me feel like switching off. Definitely raises the pulse, well worth a look

• Advertisement
Advertisement