Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Raid 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Really hope this gets a cinematic release over here, I know the first one did and it was amazing on the big screen. But will the sequel get a release? Has it been confirmed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It definitely will. The question is when. It's out in the US in March, but Momentum may decide to wait until May to release it in the UK/Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

e_e wrote: »
    Also if anyone hasn't seen Evans' segment in VHS 2 then do so immediately. It knocked me sideways.
    Squelchy wrote: »
    Was just going through this thread to see if that had been mentioned. That was outstanding. Creepy, violent and totally crazy.

Yeah, thanks for that... At least i know not to watch the rest of the film now... A horror allegedly?

The Uk and Irish rease date has finialy been set for April 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Total Film have give it 5 stars and its not out for another month......WHY TORTURE LIKE THIS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm hoping there's at least 1 early preview screening here. I mean the original had 3!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The original needed the exposure more. Hence the lengthy festival run and the numerous free advance public screenings. The sequel is pretty much a sure thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a screening of this on the 31st in Cineworld, but Unlimited card only!

I've vowed off Cineworld for a while (their standard prices are increasingly obscene), but a very rare occasion when I regret not having an Unlimited card. Hopefully the Lighthouse or IFI will have a screening before official release date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Classified today by IFCO
    18 - Sustained graphic and extremely gory violence. Strong sex scene.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I wasn't even aware that this was being made. I saw a big poster on a tube station wall yesterday and had an immediate "shut up and take my money" moment. . .not realising I actually said the words out loud

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely going to try go see this on Monday. 1st one was absolutely brilliant.

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely going to try go see this on Monday. 1st one was absolutely brilliant.

Why Monday, where are you, can i come?

It's playing in Cineworld then, you have to be an unlimited member though.

General release is the 11th though right?

Yep. Saw the poster for it on a bus stop yesterday and was like "2 more weeks!" :cool:

IFI don't seem to be playing it. Odd since they really championed the original, giving it an unusually long run for that cinema too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Glad the IFI isn't playing it, they should be reserving their screens for stuff that isn't going to be playing most cinemas! The Raid 2 will surely be getting a solid release both in Dublin and elsewhere. The first was more of a risk.

I've actually tempered my expectations for this somewhat as a lot of the reviews post the initial screenings have criticised it for being pretty bloated (the leanness was a pivotal part of the first's success IMO) alongside the obviously amazing action. Hopefully milder expectations will lead to increased enjoyment ;)

Glad the IFI isn't playing it, they should be reserving their screens for stuff that isn't going to be playing most cinemas! The Raid 2 will surely be getting a solid release both in Dublin and elsewhere. The first was more of a risk.

I've actually tempered my expectations for this somewhat as a lot of the reviews post the initial screenings have criticised it for being pretty bloated (the leanness was a pivotal part of the first's success IMO) alongside the obviously amazing action. Hopefully milder expectations will lead to increased enjoyment ;)

Dammit I'm definitely guilty of raising my expectations to fever pitch. So much so that I've arranged my father's birthday celebrations around going to see this on the 11th.
    The last time I more or less press ganged a large group of people into going to a film I had built up in my head was Gangs of new York. It didn't end well.

Oh I agree, just thought it'd be a safe bet for them to put in the program.

Regardless of whether it'll live up to expectations though I really hope this'll be a hit if not just to lead to studios, multiplexes and their audience getting over the stigma of subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Got tickets for Monday, can't bloody wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is this going to be about the guy that survived the 1st one ?

Is this going to be about the guy that survived the 1st one ?

It takes place mere hours after the original ended. Reviews seem to say that the story is generic, it's bloated and a bit too long but that the action is exceptional and amongst the best ever put onscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd imagine like the people that he stopped in the original stretch further than one apartment block and they'll be out to get him , but if the action is as good as the 1st who gives a monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kiith wrote: »

Damn you :mad:, got an email notification with this post open thread only for unlimited card holders :(.

Here's a deleted action scene from the film for anyone interested: http://vimeo.com/90092972

No spoilers as it was a side scene intended to show the scale of the gang war in the film. Was cut for pacing reasons despite clearly being a pretty elaborate sequence to put together.

Well that was certainly violent. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A pretty elaborate scene to cut out, makes you wonder what has been left in! Some nice choreography in the action, although the CGI blood & muzzleflashes looked poor - I'd hope that's simply because it was left on the cuttingroom floor and weren't given due polish

I'm no mad fan of the first film, but that was down to personal taste & a general apathy towards martial-arts; if the sequel's more of a epic gang film, I could be persuaded to poke my head around the door again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

RogerEbert.com gave it 2* and a mediocre write-up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RogerEbert.com gave it 2* and a mediocre write-up

Given that Ebert gave the first film 1*, I'm not sure it's going to be worth paying much attention to the rogerebert.com review by Glenn Kenny.

I don't like dismissing reviewers whose names I don't recognise based on one review, but the opening few paragraphs of that review just scream "I didn't like the first one and somehow got made to watch the second one and didn't like it either and you people who like these films are just weird and wrong and EEEEEEEEEW!". Seems to me he was never going to like the film and thus should probably not have agreed to try and review it.

Unless, of course, this is the by-now-expected clicktrolling negative review of something hotly anticipated in order to try and "generate discussion" (ie get a bunch of people to comment saying "wow, you're an idiot/you missed the point/YO MAMA" or something along those lines).

(Also, I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of seeing crap like "In any event, nobody's going to mistake these passages for Shakespeare." in reviews for action films, because it reeks of a kind of genre snobbery that doesn't distinguish between clever, inventive film-making and by-the-numbers humdrummery...)

• Advertisement

Here's a positive review from a fan of the first film as well as someone who hasn't even seen it.

Advertisement