Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Raid 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I absolutely loved The Raid, I don't think I have enjoyed a film in the cinema as much as I did watching it. This is the first I've gratification a sequel so I'm over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The sequel that...well everyone wanted :pac: The Raid was an absolute hoot to see in the cinema, the groans, laughs, winces and shrieks from the audience were brilliant.

I saw the Raid on a small TV and I spent the whole movie wishing I had seen it in the cinema. Rarely has that happened to me. It was brilliant, everything an action movie is supposed to be, with some genuinely enthralling fight sequences, that almost put the likes of the Bourne and James Bond movies to shame.

Genuinely looking forward to the Raid 2, that I will most certainly want to see in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd imagine it does lose something on the small screen alright. I saw it twice in the cinema. Like kruder said, the audience reaction really added to the film. I have the Blu-ray but have yet to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

I can not wait for this - Saw The Raid at last years JDIFF and it was amazing :D

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it does lose something on the small screen alright. I saw it twice in the cinema. Like kruder said, the audience reaction really added to the film. I have the Blu-ray but have yet to watch it.

The screen I watched it on was a 19inch HD screen, so if you have something bigger, it might not lose as much.

Funnily enough, the version I watched contained some extremely great subtitles, which had my friend and I laughing pretty hard - you can read the cracked article on it here.

Probably a silly question, but its the same director as the first, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Probably a silly question, but its the same director as the first, right?

Yup.

I never intend on watching The Raid again. JDIFF was enough, and an attempt to recreate that at the midnight screening in the IFI just wasn't the same. So now The Raid will remain a memory, forever entangled with the atmosphere on that February morn nigh on twelve months ago. Hopefully come JDIFF 2014 Evans and Uwais will return, and for another two hours a theatre worth of viewers can get lost as grunts have their asses artfully kicked by a small, angry man.

Also, the article above wastes too much time on plot. 'Police enter criminal compound' is enough ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, same director: Gareth Evans.

I genuinely hope that the Welsh chap becomes a big name at some point in the future.

Completely agree johnny_ultimate - there are some movies that just are so special, mine would be Sigur Ros' Heima, which I saw at an outdoor screening in Eyre Square, Galway, during the Film Fleadh a few years ago. Everything about that moment was just.. perfect. I've watched that documentary once or twice since then and it's always failed to live up to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I saw the Raid on a small TV and I spent the whole movie wishing I had seen it in the cinema.

I'm the same, having only seen The Raid quite recently. Same thing happened to me with Taken. Shame about that sequel...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw the first in the cinema thankfully, but it was empty bar my friend and another randomer. Was still great but would have been nice to see it with a full house.

Will look forward to the sequel anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I hope they don't make it too sequel-y. I loved The Raid, and definitely want more, but I don't really want to see the same film again but with slightly different fight scenes. In terms of Die Hard, I hope they skip Die Hard 2 and go straight to Die Hard 3.

I just hope he does get the sequel done right, though I think it will be more Die Hard 2 than 3, because the second movie takes place two hours after the first, according to the IMDB page.

This sounds like an interesting idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There was a fair bit of talk about having a trilogy sketched out when the first one was released. I'm looking forward to the sequels.

Fysh wrote: »
    There was a fair bit of talk about having a trilogy sketched out when the first one was released. I'm looking forward to the sequels.

I wonder if they'll have a 24-style trilogy, with each sequel set a few hours after the previous. That would make for a quite interesting idea! Has it ever been done before?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still haven't seen this: the amount of positivity I read on boards has reached the kind of critical mass that I know the film simply won't live up to the hype, so kinda avoiding it at this stage :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Still haven't seen this: the amount of positivity I read on boards has reached the kind of critical mass that I know the film simply won't live up to the hype, so kinda avoiding it at this stage :)

It will live up to it, honestly. Just ignore the plot at all and for the soundtrack and fighting sequences alone, it is one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. The sheer choreography and camera control of the fight scenes is immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

pixelburp wrote: »
    It will live up to it, honestly. Just ignore the plot at all and for the soundtrack and fighting sequences alone, it is one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. The sheer choreography and camera control of the fight scenes is immense.

I watched it recently

it failed to live up to the hype for me, of the two hyped up movies that were released around the same time that I missed in the cinema due to being away I much preferred Dredd

Normally The Raid would be the type of movie I would love but for some reason it just didn't click with me, glad it is getting a sequel though and i will make it to the cinema for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The first official trailer:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Any word on a Irish release date?

No. But unless it gets slated at Sundance, I'd imagine within 3 months of the US release date in March.

It's 148 minutes! Seems like they'll be putting the tight action of the first film within a proper crime epic. Can't wait.

Some of the responses to the Sundance premier yesterday:

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-gareth-evans-the-raid-2-sundance-2014/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's all this talk about a storyline? I hope it doesn't get in the way of the punching and kicking.

Even a 50:50 split between action and plot would do for me this time. Can't wait to see what they do with a bigger canvas. :)

Also if anyone hasn't seen Evans' segment in VHS 2 then do so immediately. It knocked me sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Fvck it gonna go and buy the first one on Blue ray at lunch time, only ever watched it on netflix. It deserves to be seen on my new tellie in all its
    HD glory :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sundance tweeters really like the word 'insane'!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

e_e wrote: »
    Also if anyone hasn't seen Evans' segment in VHS 2 then do so immediately. It knocked me sideways.

Was just going through this thread to see if that had been mentioned. That was outstanding. Creepy, violent and totally crazy.

• Advertisement

I'm sooooo excited about it now. Then again, even if it was terrible but kept up the amount of action as the first one, then I'd be equally as excited too.

Advertisement