Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Cider - a question or 2

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

The OG was 1.050 so it'll be interesting to see how low it finishes out. Anywhere around 6% would be great.

Fairly sure mine finished under 1, was a while ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

KAGY wrote: »
    Fairly sure mine finished under 1, was a while ago now.

Mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

More advice please. Am just about ready for brew to go into bottles.
    I have 20 ikea flip top one litre bottles, i have used them once before on a coopers lager homebrew and had no problems.
    But a little worried that the turbo cider may have more carbonation and am a little afraid of exploding bottles or the bottles loosing their seal.
    Do any of you use these ikea bottles and does cider make more gas pressure than coopers beer.

More advice please. Am just about ready for brew to go into bottles.
    I have 20 ikea flip top one litre bottles, i have used them once before on a coopers lager homebrew and had no problems.
    But a little worried that the turbo cider may have more carbonation and am a little afraid of exploding bottles or the bottles loosing their seal.
    Do any of you use these ikea bottles and does cider make more gas pressure than coopers beer.

A mixture of views below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89968607

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I have used the Ikea flip tops for this recipe, with no issues. Your mileage may vary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You can always release the pressure after a number of days with the fliptops. I primed this time with 150mls of juice per pint, but it blew the @rse off one of the bottles(stella cidre bottles, not the most solid,)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

My turbo cider has been in the bottles almost a week now. I have several plastic coopers bottles filled to test the carbonation, but all the rest are in a mixture of glass flip tops and metal caps. I plan on doing a stove-top pasteurization when I'm happy with the carbonation levels. I'm going to follow this guide here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=193295

Thanks for the replies, it seems some think there not strong enough, i admit they are a little flimsy but parttime has used them for this recipe.
    Parttime did you use the same ratio as described on the first page 1 litre of apple juice to 10 litres of fermented cider.
    Thanks for all the help, just dont want to be handling cider grenades

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Yep, same recipe and it was sparkling well. I don't know about long term storage.I usually use aldi sparkling water bottles,1.5 litre. Use them twice and discard,missus drinks a lot of sparkling water. I happened to be in Ikea and bought 2. Cider was only in them about 2 months.
    Very tasty stuff, better in glass...

Bought bottles in the end, opened one bottle after week one, had a little gas and was very very cloudy and was ok but not great taste.
    Opened one on second weekend, much better great head when pouring and was definitely tasted a bit more Bulmersey.
    Am soon opening one from the third week, so will see how it works out.
    Definitely doing it again, great fun and results have surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Opened one on second weekend, much better great head when pouring and was definitely tasted a bit more Bulmersey.
    Oh dear, I fear something has gone drastically wrong with your brew. Probably best to dump it now :-)

But seriously, if you can leave aside a few bottles for a year you'll be amazed at the (good) difference in taste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Time to get those turbo ciders on for the summer folks! Note Lidl are doing their XXL promotion next week, and have 2L of 'from concentrate' apple juice for €1.69 I think. The conc stuff gets a bad rep here, but I did a batch last year mixed with grape juice and it came out very well. They also have frozen raspberries and mixed berries on offer if you fancy some Kopparberg cloning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Right lads and ladies, I haven't done a batch in over a year. Time to do an equipment audit this weekend, clean the gear and get going to have it ready for the summer

I may be back for advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mollymawk

Right, this is the first time I've posted here.

We're just after bottling up a berry turbo cider that's been in the fermenter for (hanging head in shame) 14 months!
    I had to fill a glass of it, just because, and naturally it's flat as a pancake, but it definitely tastes like more. I got the recipe off here, so thanks, guys.

I have no idea if there's enough yeast in the brew at this stage to even support a carbonation, but I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeast will stay dormant for years and will start to breed and function again as soon as it's fed, so as long as you primed the bottles it'll be fine.

That's what I'm hoping alright, BeerNut. It's primed with apple juice, so fingers crossed.
    I had written it off in my head, thinking that it was probably gone off, so I'm just delighted now. It's like a bonus surprise batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 liaml1974

hi guys im thinking of brewing this turbo cider recipe. is it possible to brew it in the new coopers fermenter,( the one with the krausen collar). Or do i need a fermenter with a tight lid and airlock?
    would it be advisable to buy a new fermenter with airlock and use the coopers one for priming?

liaml1974 wrote: »
    hi guys im thinking of brewing this turbo cider recipe. is it possible to brew it in the new coopers fermenter,( the one with the krausen collar). Or do i need a fermenter with a tight lid and airlock?
    would it be advisable to buy a new fermenter with airlock and use the coopers one for priming?

Sure, I've brewed in an old 5ltr water bottle with the top loose - so yeah.

I'm wondering though if its OK to brew cider in a vessel you've brewed beer in. Would there be a taint? Someone knowledgible will be along shortly ;)

All the best.

would any cider yeast do? i have a craft range cider yeast will this be ok?(http://www.homebrewwest.ie/the-craft-range-cider-yeast-and-nutrient-9-grams-3852-p.asp
    i think ill order a new fermenter with air lock, it will be handy for batch priming .
    what is this (cider yeast/sweetner) http://www.homebrewwest.ie/hb-cider-yeastsweetner-1031-p.asp
    thanks for the advice

Any fermenter is fine as long as it's clean, sanitised and all the rest.

Any cider yeast is fine; even beer yeast will work.

I used the yeast with built-in sweetener once and it came out much sweeter than I like so wouldn't again.

• Advertisement

thanks ill use the craft yeast. so the apple juice for priming at the end is the fermenable (eg. sugar) and the lidl tablets or splenda is for sweetening the cider. is this correct?

Mollymawk wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping alright, BeerNut. It's primed with apple juice, so fingers crossed.
    I had written it off in my head, thinking that it was probably gone off, so I'm just delighted now. It's like a bonus surprise batch.

....And a very nice surprise it was, too! :-)
    Most drinkeable, if quite dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anybody made low % cider? like 2-3%.

I see stonewell have a weak one.

http://www.stonewellcider.com/content/stonewell-tobair%C3%ADn-cider
    Depending upon a number of factors, most fresh apple juice will ferment to 6-8% alcohol and this is one of the reasons our Medium and Dry ciders sit at around the 5.5-6% alcohol by volume mark.

However, whilst a lot of people told us they liked our medium dry and dry ciders it would be good to enjoy a Stonewell in the middle of the day. And so it was that Tobairín was born, Stonewell’s lower alcohol Irish craft cider.

Tobairín (tobair meaning well, ín meaning small/light) is a low alcohol cider made from fermented Elstar eating apples blended with fresh Jonagored juice; nothing else.

We hope you enjoy it.

says its only 1.5% here http://baggotstreetwines.com/beer/style/cider/stonewell-tobairin-irish-cider-50cl

€4.69 for 500ml.

I was thinking of just diluting the apple juice down, but obviously there would be less taste, so I wonder if some other juice or something could be added, while not increasing the sugar much. I know come cider kits come with an apple flavouring sachet so maybe I could use those.

EDIT: found this http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php?topic=15264.0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah, that's my thread. That LorAnn apple oil is good stuff although you'd probably need a fair bit if you water it down to 2 - 3%. Certainly works out a hell of a lot cheaper that 4.70 a bottle though - what a rip off.

Advertisement