Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

He asked for a matching contract offer to Heaslip. The IRFU were trying to play hardball offering him 300k.

I know a lot of posters are saying 'well if he really wanted to stay he should have accepted the offer' but come on, for a player of his ability and importance, the IRFU were completely trying to cheat him out of the contract that he deserved. Considering how short the careers of rugby players are, there is no way Sexton should be looked down upon for not accepting what is frankly a joke of an offer for a player of his quality.

The IRFU are a shower of jokers. Ronan O'Gara signed a 350k contract in 2011 when he was on a serious decline and finances were at their lowest. Not trying to turn this into a ROG v Sexton thing but to put it in perspective, his opposite flyhalf got a contract for 350k, 2 years before the IRFU refused Sexton 400k and at a time when Sexton had won 3 HC cups, was an Ireland starter, and likely Lions test starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

jm08 wrote: »
    Tom Grace (who controls the IRFU's purse strings) is about as far from an amateur as you could get.

Sexton was used as a high profile example that the IRFU were not going to entertain what they would consider to be unsustainable wage demands.

It's not RTE*, wages should be determined by the market, If a player could get more elsewhere then their value is increased and they should rightly get offered more by the IRFU.

*the RTE reference is thrown in because they get paid over the odds despite there being no market reasoning for their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I heard the IRFU blazers all wore big headphones going into the meeting, Sexton and his agent weren't intimidated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Bogota wrote: »
    He asked for a matching contract offer to Heaslip. The IRFU were trying to play hardball offering him 300k.

I know a lot of posters are saying 'well if he really wanted to stay he should have accepted the offer' but come on, for a player of his ability and importance, the IRFU were completely trying to cheat him out of the contract that he deserved. Considering how short the careers of rugby players are, there is no way Sexton should be looked down upon for not accepting what is frankly a joke of an offer for a player of his quality.

The IRFU are a shower of jokers. Ronan O'Gara signed a 350k contract in 2011 when he was on a serious decline and finances were at their lowest. Not trying to turn this into a ROG v Sexton thing but to put it in perspective, his opposite flyhalf got a contract for 350k, 2 years before the IRFU refused Sexton 400k and at a time when Sexton had won 3 HC cups, was an Ireland starter, and likely Lions test starter.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Tom Grace (who controls the IRFU's purse strings) is about as far from an amateur as you could get.

Sexton was used as a high profile example that the IRFU were not going to entertain what they would consider to be unsustainable wage demands.

You seem to have a good hard on for the IRFU top brass, and like to name drop, just like on MF, but how is matching salary with Heaslip for the best FH in Europe 'unsustainable'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not this can of worms again!

Obviously the value/premium Sexton placed on playing for Leinster wasn't enough to make up for the difference between the two salaries he was offered. Nothing much else to it.

Pretty much and, if truth be told, he'd have been a nut to take what he was being offered ahead of what Racing put on the table.

Except they did put on the table what was being sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It's not RTE*, wages should be determined by the market, If a player could get more elsewhere then their value is increased and they should rightly get offered more by the IRFU.

*the RTE reference is thrown in because they get paid over the odds despite there being no market reasoning for their wages.

So Sexton's value to the IRFU/Leinster decreased with the emergence of Madigan.

ROG had the IRFU over a gun because if he moved to France and decided to not make himself available to Ireland, Ireland would have had Paddy Wallace as the starting outhalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

So, Heaslip is the reason that Sexton isn't at Leinster next season? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Making the switch from his home province to Racing was a wrench ‘of course’, says Sexton, and was both a tough and a strange decision. He said, “I love Leinster but the people that are involved [with contract negotiations] are not involved with Leinster. I don’t deal with Leinster even if, like, they want to keep you for four years.
    The IRFU, obviously, have a different plan to Leinster and myself and, listen, that’s fine. I’ve no hard feelings towards them. They made the decision. They didn’t rate me as highly as I rated myself, maybe. There was something in the relationship, there, were we didn’t see eye to eye. I said that I was going to do something if something else wasn’t done and I stuck to my word. It’s never an easy thing.”
    “You’ve got a short career,” Sexton added, “and I’m never one for looking only at the contract side of things; there’s a bigger picture. At the same time, you’re an injury away [from possible retirement] and, the longer the negotiations went on, the more eager I was to get something done and sorted out. I felt there was a fantastic opportunity in front of me even though, at the time, I was very sad to leave.

• Advertisement

So, Heaslip is the reason that Sexton isn't at Leinster next season? :confused:

how can anyone take that from what was said.

ROG had the IRFU over a gun because if he moved to France and decided to not make himself available to Ireland, Ireland would have had Paddy Wallace as the starting outhalf.

in 2011? bollix

Buer wrote: »
    Except they did put on the table what was being sought.

I think I might have read somewhere that there was a difference of 50K per annum or something like that in it.

In a way it makes sense if the IRFU value Heaslip over Sexton given the rich amount of talent we have at 10 in comparison to the huge fall off behind Heaslip at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

So Sexton's value to the IRFU/Leinster decreased with the emergence of Madigan.

I see your point but, but i also wouldn't agree that Madigan made to much impact in the equation, it's not as if they're fighting for the Irish 10 shirt, Madigan only has 2 caps.

The fact remains that Sextons worth was determined by the value other teams were willing to spend on him. The IRFU didn't seem to take this into account.

trouttrout wrote: »
    Source?

Me. I know him personally, was in Jerry's year and play at the club.

Me. I know him personally, was in Jerry's year and play at the club.

ah that ole nugget. Fair enough

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfIRibtn9pcYHw7FOyOb4UAxmr8y75rFVkgrk0nVnaDzy3mT8C

I think I might have read somewhere that there was a difference of 50K per annum or something like that in it.

Where?

in 2011? bollix

2 year contract in 2010 (a year before the world cup).

350K actually wasn't huge money back then if you consider what ROG could have earned in France if he left Ireland around 2006/7 when he was much in demand there.

Wages in France were nowhere near as astronomical back in 2006/07 as they are now.

And yes, €350k has always been huge money in Irish rugby. Only a few players have ever pocketed more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd love to know if people think 400k was too much of a demand from Johnny, or was it fair?

350K actually wasn't huge money back then if you consider what ROG could have earned in France if he left Ireland around 2006/7 when he was much in demand there.

Fine then 2010, Sexton was already there by then.

Not sure how ROG signed a 2 year deal in 2010 and his contract is up this summer.

I wonder if the foot was on the other shoe and it was a Munster player would Munster fans be so critical of the player and defensive of the IRFU.

.ak wrote: »
    I'd love to know if people think 400k was too much of a demand from Johnny, or was it fair?

Impossible to say really considering we don't know anything about the financial makeup of the IRFU

I certainly think he should be on as much as any Irish player

trouttrout wrote: »
    ah that ole nugget. Fair enough

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfIRibtn9pcYHw7FOyOb4UAxmr8y75rFVkgrk0nVnaDzy3mT8C

See attachment and try not to be so cynical in future. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A 2 year contract for 11/12 and 12/13. What he could have earned in France if he left Ireland in 06/07 shouldn't come into it.

In fairness ROG wasn't going to leave Ireland in 11/12 or 12/13. The loss of the tax break would have been too big a hit. From another point of view during that contract ROG has started a grand total of five games. Two RWC warmups, and Russia, Italy Wales in the RWC.

Thats not deserving for a 350K a year contract.
    Not sure how ROG signed a 2 year deal in 2010 and his contract is up this summer.

signed Nov 2010 for 11/12 and 12/13

See attachment and try not to be so cynical in future. :rolleyes:

haha, well played

Infairness though you can't blame me for being cynical to the ole "I know him personally" as a means of baking something up on an anonymous forum

I wonder if the foot was on the other shoe and it was a Munster player would Munster fans be so critical of the player and defensive of the IRFU.

Exactly, if people are saying the emergence of Madigan meant that Sexton lowered Sexton's currency then why was an ageing out of form ROG able to get 350k when Sexton had burst onto the scene the year before? Keatley had signed for Munster a few weeks after ROG signed his contract so its not like Munster were up **** creek without a paddle...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still not too late to undo this madness. I'm sure Jimmy Gopperth will find gainful employment elsewhere........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Munstet has nothing to do with it. Long and short of it is sexton wanted more money. He got it in france and left. Same as any other job. If your current employer does nt want to pay the bucks, then you go elsewhere. No one is entitled to anything including sexton from the irfu. If he wanted to stay he could have but left for more money. Its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

.ak wrote: »

In my view fair - he is our most important player.

Has anyone considered that IRFU already have the plans in place to sack Kidney and need the budget for new coach and backroom team? That's some conspiracy theory right there!

Advertisement