Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

Anyone else not particularly surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »

You shower of utter inept cretins IRFU.
    Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone else not particularly surprised?

No. It's just the first time we've heard it from his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I'm sure if Leinster were going to be able to afford to keep him it would have been allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm surprised he's come out with those comments. He's dead right to tell the IRFU to shove it if he feels they were messing with him.

This is where a central contract system fails, if the union makes a mess of things then it leaves the province in limbo. Leinster are very lucky that Madigan is in situ.

• Advertisement

trouttrout wrote: »
    I'm sure if Leinster were going to be able to afford to keep him it would have been allowed.

As he said, don't think it works like that. The Leinster branch can't offer to outbid the IRFU's central contract, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Annoying as a Leinster fan but I can see why the move makes sense from an IRFU point of view, big wage off the books and means there'll be an extra IQ outhalf starting in the HEC next season, thats 5 in total I think, far cry from 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This is where a central contract system fails, if the union makes a mess of things then it leaves the province in limbo. Leinster are very lucky that Madigan is in situ.

To an extent but he's still nowhere near the level of Sexton. We're losing the best outhalf in Europe. Madigan is a really talented, promising player who is improving but there's a gulf there.

As he said, don't think it works like that. The Leinster branch can't offer to outbid the IRFU's central contract, afaik.

hmm well tbh, if he really wanted to stay in Ireland he could have. I mean I'm sure the IRFU were offering him decent terms, but obviously nothing in the realm of Racing Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    To an extent but he's still nowhere near the level of Sexton. We're losing the best outhalf in Europe. Madigan is a really talented, promising player who is improving but there's a gulf there.

Yeah, it could be a whole lot worse but we are definitely going to suffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Surely they were going to offer something similar to heaslip. The truth is no one of us joe public know what the irfu were offering, and we don't know if leinster could match it or even exceeded it. I ASSUME the main factor sexton went to metro is cash, and bucket loads of it.

Surely they were going to offer something similar to heaslip. The truth is no one of us joe public know what the irfu were offering, and we don't know if leinster could match it or even exceeded it. I ASSUME the main factor sexton went to metro is cash, and bucket loads of it.

The whole story was though that they didn't offer what they were paying Heaslip. They held out and refused. Only at the 11th hour when Sexton had already agreed to the Racing move did they decide to offer equal to Heaslip.

hmm well tbh, if he really wanted to stay in Ireland he could have. I mean I'm sure the IRFU were offering him decent terms, but obviously nothing in the realm of Racing Metro

I think if they offered him something decent he would've stayed. That's clear enough from the interview, he was more interested in playing for Leinster than moving to France. The difference in the offer must've been absolutely significant, i.e the IRFU weren't willing to pay him near what Jamie was getting (400k).

If I get offered twice the money I'm on right now to do the same job at a rival company, I'd be gone in the morning.

Rationality isn't a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

You shower of utter inept cretins IRFU.
    Ridiculous carry on.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It must be frustrating for players and their agents, who are all professionals in their business, to have to deal with a bunch of amateurs in blazers. He is a huge loss for Leinster, but I can only wish him the best of luck - hope he enjoys playing Top 14 rugby and I hope he enjoys the Paris experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Absolutely agree, but it could be a lot worse for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds like a cheap parting dig to me. If he really wanted to play in Ireland, he would be.

Absolutely agree, but it could be a lot worse for Leinster.

Hmmm, not even that sure. If Madigan wasn't there Leinster would have signed a higher profile player than Gopperth as a direct replacement. It's great we have Madigan but Leinster wouldn't have gone without if he wasn't there.

Sounds like a cheap parting dig to me. If he really wanted to play in Ireland, he would be.

Do you think his pay being matched with Heaslip was an unfair request?

How do you know that?

• Advertisement

It probably isa bit of a parting shot. He wasn't allowed negotiate with his team and offered unfavourable terms by a central organisation who were trying to play hardball even though they could offer more. I'd be bitter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is that what he asked for?.
    vienne86 wrote: »
    How do you know that?

How do I know what? That he could have stayed at Leinster? They did offer him a contract.

It probably isa bit of a parting shot. He wasn't allowed negotiate with his team and offered unfavourable terms by a central organisation who were trying to play hardball even though they could offer more. I'd be bitter too.

We don't know that.

How do I know what? That he could have stayed at Leinster? They did offer him a contract.

umm, exactly the opposite is what is reported in the article.

As reported by his godfather, yes.

We don't know that.

Definitively, no, we don't.

Going on his godfather's article, yes, they could and only chose to offer it at the very last second when it was too late.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thats what his godfather put in the national media. Instead he was offered less than Heaslip until he had signed abroad when the union came in and said buy yourself out of your contract with those foreigners and we will match heaslip's salary.

I'm not at all sure that he made that request, but if he had, it would have been justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Not this can of worms again!

Obviously the value/premium Sexton placed on playing for Leinster wasn't enough to make up for the difference between the two salaries he was offered. Nothing much else to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

vienne86 wrote: »
    Couldn't have put it better myself. It must be frustrating for players and their agents, who are all professionals in their business, to have to deal with a bunch of amateurs in blazers. He is a huge loss for Leinster, but I can only wish him the best of luck - hope he enjoys playing Top 14 rugby and I hope he enjoys the Paris experience.

Tom Grace (who controls the IRFU's purse strings) is about as far from an amateur as you could get.

Sexton was used as a high profile example that the IRFU were not going to entertain what they would consider to be unsustainable wage demands.

Advertisement