Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

L'equipe reporting that Sexton has signed the contract, worth €600,000 a season for two years (with a further year as an option)

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Sexton-a-enfin-signe/351396#xtor=RSS-1?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

L'equipe reporting that Sexton has signed the contract, worth €600,000 a season for two years.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Sexton-a-enfin-signe/351396#xtor=RSS-1?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

300K Less over the 2 years than previously thought

Is there bonuses included?

ssaye wrote: »
    Is there bonuses included?

It doesn't say.

However it looks like Lorenzetti wasn't lying when he initally said Sexton was too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

It doesn't say.

However it looks like Lorenzetti wasn't lying when he initally said Sexton was too expensive.

Extra year option, from google translate but still 300k is a lot less money. Still very highly paid on 600k

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the story with JM Hernandez? They mention Racing having two top 10s now with Sexton and Wisniewski but nothing about the Argentine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ssaye wrote: »
    Extra year option, from google translate but still 300k is a lot less money. Still very highly paid on 600k

The story goes that Sexton wanted clauses inserted in his contract to get additional release for international training camps; that alone would drive the value down.

And that's 600k plus international appearance fees, which he wouldn't get playing for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

So what is the story with Sexton - Is he leaving or not? Talk about mixed messages.
    My hunch is that he wont be going yet and then will be off down to New Zealand with Joe Schmidt when he goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

So what is the story with Sexton - Is he leaving or not? Talk about mixed messages.
    My hunch is that he wont be going yet and then will be off down to New Zealand with Joe Schmidt when he goes.

he is gone to france for two years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He can take his 3rd year option and as many more as he likes, things will move on at home very quickly without him.

I can still think of about 10 reasons he's going to regret this move, that having a few bob in the bank won't make up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I can still think of about 10 reasons he's going to regret this move, that having a few bob in the bank won't make up for.

Shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I can give you 10 why he's should go to France.

Better Weather
    More Money
    Experience a new Country
    Perhaps learn a new Language
    Play with Players you're likely to face in international Games
    Make new friends :D
    Come back to Ireland a better player
    Find out what horse tastes like (when it's correctly labeled)
    Feel like a bad ass driving on the OTHER side of the road.
    Do traditional French things like.. going on stike!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He won't be going to NZ anyway. Financially it makes no sense as he could get far better anywhere up here and they wouldn't have him either, there are rules on how many foreigners that can be on a team in NZ. They generally like to have only NZ qualified players or Pacific Islanders, even then most of the Pacific Islanders would have grown up in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

GerM wrote: »
    Shoot.

§ Will be flogged compared to Leinster/Ireland – likely to play 8-10 more matches a season. RCM wont spare his body a week in advance of an Ireland camp
    § Walking away from the best chance of medals in the prime of his career
    § Could fade from Irish selection radar, especially under a hardened IRFU / new Irish coach policy on players based abroad
    § Will miss the holistic player welfare of the Irish central contract
    § Cost of living in Paris will negate the premium over Irish contract value
    § Misses out on Irish endorsements and commercial deals, the like of which would provide good networks for him post retirement
    § Will not have the clout at RCM he has at Leinster, that will come as a shock to him
    § Frustration with inferior coaching ticket
    § Language barrier
    § Stranger in the squad
    § Wife/family issues with isolation of Paris

There's 11. Now Im aware that doesnt look like Im giving him credit for the Pro that he is and fair enough they are hardly likely to all come to pass, but any 2 or 3 of those circumstances in combination could badly affect his form and his career trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In fairness he has a mighty fine medal collection as is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

§ Will be flogged compared to Leinster/Ireland – likely to play 8-10 more matches a season. RCM wont spare his body a week in advance of an Ireland camp
    § Could fade from Irish selection radar, especially under a hardened IRFU / new Irish coach policy on players based abroad
    § Misses out on Irish endorsements and commercial deals, the like of which would provide good networks for him post retirement
    § Will not have the clout at RCM he has at Leinster, that will come as a shock to him
    § Language barrier
    § Stranger in the squad

There's 11. Now Im aware that doesnt look like Im giving him credit for the Pro that he is and fair enough they are hardly likely to all come to pass, but any 2 or 3 of those circumstances in combination could badly affect his form and his career trajectory.

He's not going to fade from the irish radar.
    He hated the player welfare.
    Dublin isn't exactly cheap, I doubt living in France is going to take up all the extra cash he is earning.
    He'll get plenty of endorsements and deals in France. He is a big signing for them.
    Won't have the clout? He is a big signing for them.
    He can soon learn French.
    He'll soon get to know people.
    Doubt his girlfriend will mind living in France too much when he's raking in the cash.

I also doubt the flogged point, and the coaching ticket one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The idea the French league flogs its players to death is a myth. He'll be rotated just like James, McAllister and Michilak are.
    With Racing signings there's no reason to think he shouldn't be aiming for silverware. Also he's the most decorated Irish out-half in terms of club/provincial level ever.
    I doubt it. He's still the best Irish OH by a long, long way.
    Is it really that great? Can you explain further?
    Isn't Dublin the most expensive place to live in Europe?
    He's not going to Japan.... He can still do them, will probably do some in France too, and he'll be back to finish playing in Ireland, I'd wager, where he can do some more.
    We won't know that until he starts playing for them. Who knows, he could captain them.
    Anything is a step down from Schmidt - and Schmidt won't be around forever anyway.
    § Language barrier
    It's the Top14... English is the first language!
    § Stranger in the squad
    Can't see that being an excuse. He'll want to relish the new players as much as the new surroundings.
    She's moving with him. Again it's not Japan. It's 2 hours from Dublin. At 600k a year I'm sure he could fly a few of his family members over now and again or likewise go visit them.

Made my points in red. To be honest it's all very speculative, both your points and mine, but frankly I think he'll swim rather than sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If he's after medals then a chance at the Bouclier is far more attractive than a chance to win medals he already has. Arguably the toughest club accolade to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My own argument against your points.

- He has stated how much he enjoys playing as much as possible.
    - He had 3 HEC and 1 ML medals, already, new challenge and all that...
    - Could well happen, fair enough.
    - He has stated how much he hates the Player Welfare System.
    - Have you looked at how much it costs to live in Dublin these days?
    - He already has these contacts, adding a few French ones can only help him even more.
    - How do you know this?
    - Ahem, Declan Kidney??
    § Language barrier
    - Il parle Francais tres bien.
    § Stranger in the squad
    - He'll adapt.
    - It's 90 minutes away from Dublin on a plane? It's hardly Timbuktu he's moving to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

What's the story with JM Hernandez? They mention Racing having two top 10s now with Sexton and Wisniewski but nothing about the Argentine.

Hernandez is still playing for Racing but has been played at full back lately.

As a side note he's quite injury prone and has never retrieved his level from WC 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

He already has 3 HC medals and probably fancys a shot at a Top 14 medal to go with them.
    Highly unlikely unless Madigan/Jackson/Keatley seriously up their game
    Do we know for sure that he wont get looked after as well in France? They are paying a lot of money for him.
    Living on the outskirts of Paris will probably not be much more expensive than Dublin
    I'm sure he will have no problem networking when he retires no matter where he plays
    I would say he has a fair idea of what he is getting into, he's not 12!
    New coaches so may turn out to be as good as JS
    § Language barrier
    Is french that hard to learn?
    § Stranger in the squad
    I'm sure he will talk to one or two of them after a few months and eventually might make some friends!
    Paris isn't that far away!

I understand that you are looking at all the negatives but I think some may be a lot simpler than you might think.

Edit: Shouldn't take so long to write my replies next time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

.ak wrote: »
    Made my points in red. To be honest it's all very speculative, both your points and mine, but frankly I think he'll swim rather than sink.

I'm actually fully expecting him to walk on water :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

l'Equipe reporting that Maxime Machenaud has signed with Racing for another three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

l'Equipe reporting that Maxime Machenaud has signed with Racing for another three years.

Still "conditionnal" (=> http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Machenaud-3-ans-de-plus/351639) but will probably be confirmed soon.

Sexton-Machenaud should be a killer combination at 10-9.

- edit -

Confirmed now (=> http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Machenaud-prolonge-3-ans/351639).

I'll be watching more t14 than usual, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Out of interest, what would be the best way to watch Racing Metro games?
    Are they broadcast over here? or is there an online streaming service?

Kinda wanna see how Sexton gets on.

Setanta replays a few games. Imagine they'll be looking to cover as many of the Racing games as possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest, what would be the best way to watch Racing Metro games?
    Are they broadcast over here? or is there an online streaming service?

Kinda wanna see how Sexton gets on.

Canal + tend to show every T14 match live, sometimes Setanta pick up their feed and broadcast the matches in English.

For the other matches that Setanta don't pick up to watch you'll need a basic grasp of French, an internet connection and a link to a certain site ;)

It looks like Jonny Sexton will definitely be playing Heineken Cup next season, Racing are leading at Montpellier and are on course for their eighth consecutive win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It looks like Jonny Sexton will definitely be playing Heineken Cup next season, Racing are leading at Montpellier and are on course for their eighth consecutive win.

Thank god tbh.

The best players should be playing in the top competition as often as possible.

• Advertisement

Advertisement