Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

all ready have an academy player there..noel reid afaik..looking for an older accomplished player to similar to comtempe that sexton took over from

Noel Reid is not a good enough 10 (at least not yet, and I have my doubts he will ever be). Leinster are very much not looking for a Comtepomi-esque player. Ian Madigan is going to be the HEC flyhalf next season, whoever is brought in will be backup to him and will along the lines of Berquist or Shaun Berne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Noel Reid is not a good enough 10 (at least not yet, and I have my doubts he will ever be). Leinster are very much not looking for a Comtepomi-esque player. Ian Madigan is going to be the HEC flyhalf next season, whoever is brought in will be backup to him and will along the lines of Berquist or Shaun Berne.

http://www.news.msn.ie/ian-madigan-leinster-10-782206-Feb2013/

have a look...if that was the case would they not just put nacewa at 10?

http://www.news.msn.ie/ian-madigan-leinster-10-782206-Feb2013/

have a look...if that was the case would they not just put nacewa at 10?

I've had a look. The article doesn't in any way disagree with what I said. They'll get a foreign, experienced fly half to push Madigan but the implication is Madigan will go into the season as first choice. Thus it won't be a big name player with the expectation of starting.

Nacewa is needed in the back 3 and wasn't a massive success at 10.

Talk of Carter/Barnes/Cooper are just massively, massively wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd rather we signed a big name centre and second row than outhalf.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I've had a look. The article doesn't in any way disagree with what I said. They'll get a foreign, experienced fly half to push Madigan but the implication is Madigan will go into the season as first choice. Thus it won't be a big name player with the expectation of starting.

Nacewa is needed in the back 3 and wasn't a massive success at 10.

Talk of Carter/Barnes/Cooper are just massively, massively wide of the mark.

ok..Fitzgerald,kearney,mcfadden back 3 and nacewa or madigan at 10 could be effective?...if they cant pull in some what of a well accomplished 10 i reckon money would be better spent on a forward

• Advertisement

They're not going to be spending massive amounts of money on the 10 because he's not coming in with the expectation of being first choice. He will be exactly the type of player Leinster have had in the background for the last few years behind Sexton before Madigan came along. Someone like Mat Berquist or Shaun Berne.

Not least to add that there is no way Leinster will break the bank for a top notch foreign 10 because if they ended up paying anywhere similar to what Sexton wanted the IRFU will just look ****ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,039 ✭✭✭✭phog

Twitter saying that Kearney has signed up again, seems like the floodgates has closed again.

phog wrote: »
    Twitter saying that Kearney has signed up again, seems like the floodgates has closed again.

phew!..any new on heslip renewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

phog wrote: »
    Yup, Fanning is reporting it so it must be true..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Clareman wrote: »
    Niall O'Connor will make it 3 Irish Provinces in 3 years

Do the Exiles still count as a province? If so they're welcome to him :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would happily take Berquist back tbh.

Thought he looked like an able 10 in the tiny bit we got to see of him.

Although I haven't seen him play since leaving, this wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, especially as he would know a good bit of the workings of Leinster already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd be more than happy if Nacewa was allowed to sign a 2 year extension as 10 cover whilst Sexton is gone. Would be a fair trade off imo, for now.

Good news if Kearney resigning is true. Maybe one player leaving and one player being let go was being a bit of a drama queen to say "Leinster are falling apart and the flood gates have opened." ... just got our share of bad news over 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Nacewa is a very talented player, I'm a big fan, but he's not a good outhalf. He showed this time and again when I was a season ticket holder a few years back (2 or 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Without wanting to piss off the Connaught faithful would Dan Parks be worth looking at. Or is he on a longer term contract? Very different o/h to Madigan but complement him and teach him a thing or 2. He'd be like ROG on the bench to Sexton:)

Without wanting to piss off the Connaught faithful would Dan Parks be worth looking at. Or is he on a longer term contract? Very different o/h to Madigan but complement him and teach him a thing or 2. He'd be like ROG on the bench to Sexton:)

A waste of space? :pac:

Nah, we need a player that's happy to fill in games in Treviso and a wet Wales, that's good enough to not knock the team out of contention when we're without the #1 Out half at international windows. But also someone that will push without being direct competition for Madigan's HEC spot. Effectively a nice steady Eddie type player that isn't too much of a step down.

Berquist, Myler, Geraghty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Jesus, I wouldn't want Dan Parks teaching Madigan anything.

"OK now Ian, watch closely while I stand 20 metres behind the gainline and kick it as hard as I can"

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

A waste of space? :pac:

Nah, we need a player that's happy to fill in games in Treviso and a wet Wales, that's good enough to not knock the team out of contention when we're without the #1 Out half at international windows. But also someone that will push without being direct competition for Madigan's HEC spot. Effectively a nice steady Eddie type player that isn't too much of a step down.

Berquist, Myler, Geraghty?
    Jesus, I wouldn't want Dan Parks teaching Madigan anything.

"OK now Ian, watch closely while I stand 20 metres behind the gainline and kick it as hard as I can"

Fair enough. Was being slightly facetious with the ROG/Sexton bit. But been quite impressed with what I've seen of Parks this season (not seen very much mind you) and thought he might fit the bill that Emmet describes, won't usurp Madigan and take his Hcup place either but won't let us down on a wet weekend in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Personally , I don't want a new foreign signing , much prefer Madigan be given the 10 role full time - Leinster have a great Academy , yet they seam hell bent on promoting from outside - e.g. Bent (what does that say to McGrath and others !) - fully understand the need for a few foreigners , but like to see nucleas of team local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

thebaz wrote: »
    Personally , I don't want a new foreign signing , much prefer Madigan be given the 10 role full time - Leinster have a great Academy , yet they seam hell bent on promoting from outside - e.g. Bent (what does that say to McGrath and others !) - fully understand the need for a few foreigners , but like to see nucleas of team local

It'll be a foreign backup, which is what we need. Madigan will be the number 10, but what happens if he gets a bad injury? We're fcuked that's what. Imagine Noel Reid having to play against Clermont.

With regards 'promoting' from outside, I think that's crap tbh. McGrath is a LH firstly, but with re: Bent, he and Hagan are not stopping anyone's development. Leinster is the most 'local' team in Ireland I'd wager.

He will be. They'll also bring in a foreign signing as we're not going into the HEC with Noel Reid as the backup outhalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

We need an experienced back up to Madigan. I don't think either Noel Reid or Cathal Marsh are ready for HEC.
    I don't see any evidence for Leinster not promoting from within. If the players are good enough they will get game time.
    As for Bent and McGrath, McGrath is a loose head and Bent is a tight head. McGrath has already got game time and will get more if the rumours of Van De Merwe leaving are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Parks would be a waste of a valuable NIQ slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stephen Donald? ;)

We should definitely be chasing Carter, Cruden is clearly tomorrows man. Pity Nick Evans re-signed at Quins, despite his history against Leinster he's a useful string puller. Either way, we're probably looking at a Kiwi Super Rugby type, the franchises all have 3 or 4 on their roster and Joe will know them.

By the way can we agree on 're-sign' rather than 'resign' , one of you nearly gave me heart failure about Rob Kearney earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah sure while we are firing out random names

After his skills at the weekend, Zebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

DJ's and raps too, he'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Grab Berrick Barnes before he goes to Japan.
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8473588,00.html

Depending on injuries/form, Barnes could play at 12 outside Madigan. That wouldn't shut the door to Madigan then in terms of earning a starting place. Barnes coming into his prime age too.

Edit: Just saw he's only looking for a short sabbatical, he's contracted to the ARU until 2014. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sorry, mistook Boards as a discussion forum there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Larbre34 wrote: »
    sorry, mistook Boards as a discussion forum there.

Well considering you didn't edit your post to include anything more than a just a random suggestion until after justsomebloke's post that's a tad rich! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

colster wrote: »
    As for Bent and McGrath, McGrath is a loose head and Bent is a tight head.

i thought they were both No. 3's - anyway get your point , just would hate leinster to go all chelsea , when they have a great well run academy -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Leinster avail of the least NIQ spots, the whole "Chelsea" talk came from the fact that Leinster by far recruited the best.

In terms on NIQ spending, Ulster by far outweigh the rest, and both Ulster and Munster use more NIQ spots than Leinster - who usually average around 20 Irish qualified player in any given 23 squad (and don't even fill their NIQ spots available with signings).

McGrath is a loose head, but has played tight-head on very rare occasions, mostly for the A team, and once for the senior team, against the Ospreys, when he had to have his head surgically removed from his arsehole after the game.

Moore, Furlong, Hagan, Bent and possibly O'Connor are some of the tight-heads in waiting.

Advertisement