Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

A bit of a weird time to be making such an announcement, with the 6Ns next week. Kind of distracting in the camp, I would imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

won't be completed until NOC is in Leinster colours, missing kick after kick against Munster in a Heineken Cup Final.

shush, thats top secret!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Fcuk, I don't blame him at all but it's a disaster for Leinster, whatever about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

He'll be a huge loss to Leinster but I really dont think it's a devastating as some here seem to think. Some here thinking that Leinster won't qualify for the knock-out games and particular the final of the H/cup, cant see it having that much impact, ok, would Leinster have beaten Saints in Cardiff without him, maybe not but then there are teams getting to finals every year with a squad a lot weaker than Leinster.

If he goes then I wish him the best of luck, he truely deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

awec wrote: »
    What will we hear? Deal done? In talks?

Deal done - he'll finish the season, then gone.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Frantically scanning through a RM92 version of lf.com to see if there's any truth to it on their side.

Here's the link if anyone else cares to also frantically scan
    http://forum.racing-metro92.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1297&start=770

If there was nothing about JS on that forum there is now :D

icon1.png Jonny Sexton
    Il y a des rumeurs tres fortes en Irlande que Sexton va quitter le Leinster pour le Racing. Une annonce sera immente d'apres des journalistes.

Thomond, he's everywhere :p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Looks like the IRFU were just out bid

If the figures there are correct they made the right call not to break the bank. Financial sustainability is key, and the IRFU simply don't have the kind of money to compete with that

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Looks like the IRFU were just out bid

If the figures there are correct they made the right call not to break the bank. Financial sustainability is key, and the IRFU simply don't have the kind of money to compete with that

If Leinster's HEC success dries up then it won't have been a good financial decision. We'll see...

Confirmed now lads

• Advertisement

Still nothing here in France...........

Confirmed now lads

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

There's Madigan, and then it suddenly gets really thin at 10 for Leinster. One quality out half just won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I don't see what all the fuss is about myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

1 - Not allowing the provinces to offer contracts once the IRFU have put an offer on the table
    Wasn't that saga dragged out for far longer than it should have been precisely by the IRFU not letting Leinster negotiate until they took their offer off the table?

So Leinster were allowed to ofer him a contract despite your earlier claim that they couldn't.

From twitter land
    david kelly ‏@dk3lly
    Ireland and Leinster fans may be advised to check out the lunchtime sports bulletins... #rugby

IRFU just couldn't afford him.

Simple as.

Money talks, huge money in France, Sexton's got 3 HEC medals and will push hard for a Rabo gold too.

Unfortunate situation but c'est la vie.

link?

Times have just tweeted that they will break a major Irish rugby story in a matter of minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Was going on a sabbatical from Boards but feck me, 620k pa for 2 years to RM apparently.

Shocked, thanks for everything Jonny, you absolute hero.

Not me, but I say the finance department in LR will be worried about the 12500 season ticket renewals in March esp if rumours of a bit of an exodus.

If thr IRFU wont pay the 450k-500k that would have kept him so I hear, we are defo not getting a Dan Carter so its one of two things,

1 Get established International outhalf for a top 10 team
    2 Get up and coming 20 y/o with potential for pittens and hand the batton to Madigan.

Either way we need someone to cover the whole season.

Will Jonny and the IRFU's relationship now not 100% I wonder will his International performances dip or thrive. Bowe thrived international while at Ospreys but French League diff to RABO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

620,000 pounds, not euro.

IRFU just couldn't afford him.

Simple as.

Money talks, huge money in France, Sexton's got 3 HEC medals and will push hard for a Rabo gold too.

Unfortunate situation but c'est la vie.

Exactly. But the IRFU will still get the blame unfairly and people are going to get hysterical and start saying this will open the floodgates.

• Advertisement

ssaye wrote: »
    Will Jonny and the IRFU's relationship now not 100% I wonder will his International performances dip or thrive. Bowe thrived international while at Ospreys but French League diff to RABO?

Is this true?

I mean seriously, I'm sure JS is a pretty reasonable guy. He knows that the IRFU couldn't match the Racing offer, and the Racing offer is worth an entire year to him (work 2, get paid for 3 basically).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an amicable but resigned acceptance of the situation from both parties.

edit

Like this
    This is going to be a tricky situation I feel. And I couldn't begrudge anyone a thing if the conversation went like this.

JS: They've offered me €1.9m over two years. Said I'd be available for each international window.
    IRFU: we can give you €1.2m - don't forget the tax rebate.
    JS: That €1.9 is net
    IRFU: Oh. We can't afford that.
    JS: I know, I'm going to have to take it. It's too much money. I would like to come back and fight for a place in 2 years time though.

(numbers wrong obviously)

IRFU to make a statement shortly

Nah

Is this true?

I mean seriously, I'm sure JS is a pretty reasonable guy. He knows that the IRFU couldn't match the Racing offer, and the Racing offer is worth an entire year to him (work 2, get paid for 3 basically).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an amicable but resigned acceptance of the situation from both parties.

I made an assumption if they dont want to pay him what he thinks he deserves its prob not 100%, imo

I made an assumption if they dont want to pay him what he thinks he deserves its prob not 100%, imo

Sexton will be coming back to Ireland before the end of his career most likely, nobody wants to burn bridges.

It's not that the IRFU were being mean. But they simply can't afford to play hard ball with the French clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If Leinster's HEC success dries up then it won't have been a good financial decision. We'll see...

ah if Leinster's success dries up it will be more to do with players like Darce, BOD and Cullen getting to the end of their playing careers.

Madigan is adequate cover for Sexton however the bigger problem is that we now don't have cover for Madigan

Leinster supporters tweeting now wishing Sexton luck with Racing

It's not that the IRFU were being mean. But they simply can't afford to play hard ball with the French clubs

Typing when you are shocked the wording often comes out wrong. Its a huge huge story once confirmed and I am bitterly disapointed but he owes nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Madigan is adequate cover for Sexton however the bigger problem is that we now don't have cover for Madigan
    Thats why Conway is going to Munster. Its a swap with Hanrahan;)

Advertisement