Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Hoop66 wrote: »
    What a bunch of muppets the IRFU are.

How? How are they muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thread title can be changed now as it's confirmed :(
    Will madigan start all leinsters games for the rest of the season? Give him the best start for next

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Bad day for irish rugby,im not a big fan of Sexton,but you cant deny he's skill,ability and sheer dedication.
    Big loss to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Jonny has been an amazing player for Leinster since coming on in 2009 HC SF.

He will be sadly missed but wish him the very best; he deserves it.

It will also give Madigan the same opportunity Jonny had to step up to the plate and make the Leinster 10 his.

Following this announcement, I'm even more convinced than before that Amlin/Pro12 double is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

So Hagz, going to change your sig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Madigan, Jackson and keatly should be the three out halves Ireland have in the squad from now on.

We have to send a message that, by all means go to France, but you won't be picks internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

P_1 wrote: »
    I posted this on the Blazers thread:
    Look at the deal the FAI negotiated with Trappatoni.

FAI pays half, Denis O'Brien pays the other half.

Now Leinster Rugby have a very good admin team behind the scenes, what's stopping them from working out a similar deal with a wealthy benefactor to outbid Racing Metro?

So Leinster pay 350k, the benefactor pays the other 350k, Sexton gets 700k, Racing have been outbidded and everybody is happy.

It was probably already looked at, and still not affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

fitz wrote: »
    Can't understand why the provinces aren't allowed to supplement the IRFU offer in cases like this...

The provinces money IS the IRFUs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ok i have a plan. The IRFU deal is finished but if we get 20,000 Leinster fans to direct debit €1 a week, Johnny gets a €1 million a year contract and we get to keep Johnny. Everyones a winner bar the IRFU who will have to pay for his services to play for Ireland.

I find it hard to believe that we cant get €1 a week from people for Johnny Sexton :D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Very disappointing to see Sexton go. Hopefully this is not the start of an exodus of this country's top players.

Maybe some Leinster supporters might now understand the strength of feeling that Mike McCarthy's move provoked in Connacht circles. It's never easy losing one of your best players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Hoop66

What a bunch of muppets the IRFU are.
    That said, the point could be made that Sexton owes a certain amount of loyalty to Leinster for all the work that's been put into bringing him on and making him the player he is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

That said, the point could be made that Sexton owes a certain amount of loyalty to Leinster for all the work that's been put into bringing him on and making him the player he is today.

He owes Leinster nothing

Madigan, Jackson and keatly should be the three out halves Ireland have in the squad from now on.

We have to send a message that, by all means go to France, but you won't be picks internationally

good call.

Lets hurt the National side as well as the Provinces!

tbh, this makes McKinley's injury resonate.

The gap from Sexton to Madigan is big (but closing).

The gap from Madigan to Reid is massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I don't think there is any justification for bitterness towards anyone in the deal whatsoever. Sexton has to look after his interests. The IRFU are not a bottomless pit of money. Racing are a bottomless pit of money and have aspirations. Best of luck to the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Not the end of the world at all.

Without knowing the figures, guess it is probably a good move by the IRFU to let him go. Madigan will have an impediment to his development removed and 4 Irish outhalves will now be playing top class rugby on a regular basis. Jonno's high wage will be saved and put to better use. He is very good - but he is no O'Driscoll and not worth bidding to secure at any cost.

As long as its a one off - and not the start of an exodus of Irish internationals. No issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think if 2 players are of a very similar ability, go for the Irish based one. But if by far and away the best player in that position was playing abroad, it doesn't matter, play him.
    Imagine BOD moved to france 5-6 years ago? You couldn't not pick him. Or Woodie at Harlequins.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What? 3 HCup trohpies isn't enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

We've done it before, we'll keep doing it. We don't have the depth or talent to cut our noses off to spite our face. Sexton is head and shoulders above the other candidates and should remain as first choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

Has anyone anywhere confirmation that he has actually signed for RCM92? There is still not a peep about it over here.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You could also say that after being a player instrumental to the most successful period in Leinster's history, he doesn't owe us anything.

I'm disappointed he's left, but best of luck to him, I hope he does well over there. Hopefully Madigan can now step up and play at a similar level. He's got the talent, remains to be seen if he can develop the skills and mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

None of these players are in the same orbit as Sexton ability wise. 1/2 of them have promise, but at present are just about hcup level. Sexton will still be the Irish 10 for the six nations, bottom line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

P_1 wrote: »
    I posted this on the Blazers thread:
    Look at the deal the FAI negotiated with Trappatoni.

FAI pays half, Denis O'Brien pays the other half.

Now Leinster Rugby have a very good admin team behind the scenes, what's stopping them from working out a similar deal with a wealthy benefactor to outbid Racing Metro?

So Leinster pay 350k, the benefactor pays the other 350k, Sexton gets 700k, Racing have been outbidded and everybody is happy.

Not comparing apples with apples there at all I'm afraid.

First of all, the IRFU pay all the players and coaches salaries, the FAI just look after their own and the players aren't covered.

Secondly, and imvho most importantly, if the IRFU were to have given into Johnny's demands they would have to give the same to all other "Elite" players due to the structure of the deal with the players union, Johnny is the third player in recent memory that has played the "I'll go to France if you don't give me more money" card and is the first to have been called on it.

Besides the initial impact to Leinster, I can't see anything but positives for Irish rugby, it frees up a centrally contracted spot, it allows Johnny play in a tougher league, it allows another players to step up to the mark.

Finally, with Johnny going at the end of the season, it lessons the impact on Leinster considerably, baring injury Johnny will be going on the Lions tour in the Summer so he wouldn't be available for selection until almost November next season anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The thing I'm finding weird is that the IRFU have said they've ended negotiations with Sexton due to him supposedly having a big offer from somewhere else.

The usual path would have been
    1 rumour mill stuff about player going abroad,
    2 IRFU saying we're working on it, player saying they hope to get it all wrapped up soon,
    3 IRFU or new club announce new signing,
    4 IRFU or new club which didn't get the player saying they couldn't compete financially or player never wanted to leave Ireland.

What we have now though is the IRFU skipping 3 and going straight to 4!

The plot thickens as they say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

On the contary, he was ****ed around by the IRFU to massage ROG's ego for ages. Wouldn't be surprised if he had little time for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

He'll still be Irelands No1 fly half. Even if he is based in France.

Disaster for Leinster.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Rumours abound that Johne Murphy's heading French side soon too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

4PP wrote: »
    Has anyone anywhere confirmation that he has actually signed for RCM92? There is still not a peep about it over here.........

This is what I'm finding quite strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

dregin wrote: »

...... *tumbleweed*.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

dregin wrote: »

Is this exodus week or something :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement