Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

jm08 wrote: »
    They let Tommy Bowe go and that worked out well for them (i.e., saved them a couple of million).

There are a few positives for the IRFU if Sexton did go to France.

1. Playing in the French League would help Ireland.
    2. Give Madigan a chance to step up.
    3. Save a load of money.

Sexton could come back in 2/3 years and finish his career in Ireland having won a Top 14 (new challenge for him).

1 How? different style of play, sure he plays HEC and International teams already
    2 Leinster would be left with 1 decent OH only
    3 Yes

Huge challenge, cant see Racing winning a title in the short term even with Sexton. Much better teams in France to go to considering he is one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

tolosenc wrote: »
    Except the Miami Dolphins had never heard of ROG, and that they haven't been the NFL team to brag about joining since the 80s, ROG was clearly just watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective the night before he announced it.

ROG didn't announce it. He met the owner of the Dolphins who was on a golfing holiday and was introduced to him in the Old Head of Kinsale Golf Club. ROG didn't say he was in talks with the Dolphins - he just didn't deny the media rumours quick enough for the IRFU and got bawled out for it by Eddie O'Sullivan.

However, ROG did meet the President of Stade Francais in Paris but that didn't make the papers somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't think this is true... I mean I'm sure he's got a few offers, but I don't think he's close to signing. If he rejected them before, he's likely to again. We hear the same stuff every time a top players goes to renew their contract.

Anyway, I do agree it wouldn't be the end of the world for Ireland. But I think it's good having our best players here as much as possible. However, it'd be a massive blow for Leinster. Madigan is good but Sexton is class. Different level of player really. The IRFU are supposed to help the provinces, competitive provinces is good for Irish rugby.

He shouldn't be offered what the French club are offering but he should be offered whatever the top wage in Ireland is and it's up to him after that.

ssaye wrote: »
    1 How? different style of play, sure he plays HEC and International teams already
    2 Leinster would be left with 1 decent OH only
    3 Yes

Huge challenge, cant see Racing winning a title in the short term even with Sexton. Much better teams in France to go to considering he is one of the best in the world.

1. He'd be playing in a lot stronger league. Ireland rarely beats France - playing in their league would help him and Ireland.

2. Leinster could get a utility back from the SH (or maybe get Ian Keatley back).

He'd get more satisfaction with Racing though than Toulouse or Toulon where he would be just another player.

Carr to Connacht rumours on Connacht thread now

Would make sense for all involved I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

In theory-having our best players in Ireland should be a good thing. But in practice-it's not is it?

1. He'd be playing in a lot stronger league. Ireland rarely beats France - playing in their league would help him and Ireland.

2. Leinster could get a utility back from the SH (or maybe get Ian Keatley back).

1. Fair enough,
    2. JS + IM >>>> IM + IK

So weaker Leinster and therefore weaker Irish province overall

In anyway its just agent talk, I am pretty sure it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm not a fan of Fionn Carr but his departure would leave Leinster a bit light on outside backs.

Time for Conway to make the step up.

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Fionn Carr but his departure would leave Leinster a bit light on outside backs.

Time for Conway to make the step up.

Conway, DK, Isa, Fitz, Ferg and maybe a stepup for Hudson, Boyle or the young but impressive Adam Byrne

Not too worried

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They let Tommy Bowe go and that worked out well for them (i.e., saved them a couple of million).

It wasn't till he left that he established himself as more than a fringe player in the Irish set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just to bang that drum again, Sexton won't be winning any T14s if he goes to Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Imagine Sexton in that Clermont backline.. a sickening thought it many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

.ak wrote: »
    Just to bang that drum again, Sexton won't be winning any T14s if he goes to Racing.

And may not even get to play Heineken Cup next season.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Imagine Sexton in that Clermont backline.. a sickening thought it many ways

Meh

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Surely the only good way to go into any negotiations is to have a feel for what you're worth.
    Only way to do that is to speak with other interested parties.
    Seems like common sense to me.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Surely the only good way to go into any negotiations is to have a feel for what you're worth.

L'oreal, cause im worth it

Someone do a Sexton meme

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

This is going to be a tricky situation I feel. And I couldn't begrudge anyone a thing if the conversation went like this.

JS: They've offered me €1.9m over two years. Said I'd be available for each international window.
    IRFU: we can give you €1.2m - don't forget the tax rebate.
    JS: That €1.9 is net
    IRFU: Oh. We can't afford that.
    JS: I know, I'm going to have to take it. It's too much money. I would like to come back and fight for a place in 2 years time though.

Actually, re:France

75% top earner's tax!

Max they could really offer him would be €999,999 per year so that he wouldn't hit the millionaire's tax bracket.

.ak wrote: »

But there is a challenge for him - being involved in the building of a successful team. Going to Toulouse or Clermont would be the easy route.

Toulon was very much in a similar position to where Racing is now when Wilko went and they love him there.

Actually, re:France

75% top earner's tax!

Max they could really offer him would be €999,999 per year so that he wouldn't hit the millionaire's tax bracket.

But would it be 75% on the euro over the million only?

Thats was mine is?

Ive said too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Lets say he does go, how will his international career be affected?

He will still be available for international windows, but what about training camps? Is there a player welfare system?

I can only assume he would be playing a hell of alot more club matches than he would at Leinster

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Lets say he does go, how will his international career be affected?

He will still be available for international windows, but what about training camps? Is there a player welfare system?

I can only assume he would be playing a hell of alot more club matches than he would at Leinster

Flogged to death, playing every game, rain or shine, no player welfare system or a very limited one afaik, its certainly food for thought.

The IRFU could get him for games but not training sessions I think.

But would it be 75% on the euro over the million only?

Thats was mine is?

Ive said too much

Yeah it's a marginal increase, but it means that you have to work twice as hard for every euro over €1m. It's a pretty weird salary ceiling dynamic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Flogged to death, playing every game, rain or shine, no player welfare system or a very limited one afaik, its certainly food for thought.

The IRFU could get him for games but not training sessions I think.

Bull if he is going to Racing he has pretty decent backup 10s who will probably rotate with him to a degree.

Bull if he is going to Racing he has pretty decent backup 10s who will probably rotate with him to a degree.

You can see Im in the anti french brigade so hyperbole will be in my posts regarding the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

It's not a gulag he's allegedly going to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks13 wrote: »

It's not a gulag he's allegedly going to!

At the rate Irish players are getting seriously or chronically injured, the benefits of the player welfare scheme are looking debateable at best. Combine that with the fact that it's not actually delivering results on the pitch and it's fair to say that it's a load of pants.

Sexton would be only delighted to play more games I'd say.

At the rate Irish players are getting seriously or chronically injured, the benefits of the player welfare scheme are looking debateable at best. Combine that with the fact that it's not actually delivering results on the pitch and it's fair to say that it's a load of pants.

Sexton would be only delighted to play more games I'd say.

Fair point that stands up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Dricos ankle is fine apparently, according to Sinead Kissane. On t he field training tomorrow.

• Advertisement

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10855.php

Brian O’Driscoll experienced some discomfort after rolling his right ankle which may limit his on-field involvement early in the week but the management are confident he will be fit for selection by Thursday. Cian Healy was replaced at half-time after producing a typically lung-bursting display, while Jonathan Sexton, who received plenty of physical attention from the Scarlets, was replaced by Ian Madigan late on as a precaution. ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement