Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonny Sexton leaving Leinster *mod warning post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

awec wrote: »
    Does this free up a central contract? Would this see the likes of Jackson get offered a central contract at the end of the season (I'm assuming that ROG's current central contract will be his last) ?

It will do, and I don't think central contracts are bound by position so it could go to someone else, or free up money else where, if the 500k amount is right you could get 10 coaches for it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Other point to note is he has said before he wants to play week in and out. He doesnt like being forced to rest by irfu. He said a few weeks back he wanted to play against ulster in rabo but kidney forced leinster to rest him.

Yeah I wondered myself whether this was a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Almaviva wrote: »
    Cant see it having any effect whatsoever. Sexton contributed very well to the success of the team. But had no star pulling power that would have anyone reconsider renewal.

As I said though, his leaving, coupled with a few other issues could have a few of the fairweather fans taking the hump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

4PP wrote: »
    Racing, the players, the officials can say nothing, but that does not apply to the media..............still nothing about him signing anywhere bar a quote from Schmidt saying the money was huge even by French standards

It's all over the Irish media, online and radio. IRFU CEO has released a statement saying he's leaving Ireland and signing for another side. Racing have not been named but I think at this point we can all take it for granted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe? Geordan Murphy?

Tommy Bowe only got locked in as a starter after he left Ireland. He wasn't one when he left.

As to Murphy well he was loyal to the club that developed him. He never played for a province. If he stayed in Ireland he wouldn't have have gotten much further than the AIL I think.
    Pretty sure Sexton woulda dictated all the terms in the Racing contract to make sure he was free for all training camps.

Other point to note is he has said before he wants to play week in and out. He doesnt like being forced to rest by irfu. He said a few weeks back he wanted to play against ulster in rabo but kidney forced leinster to rest him.

Can he dictate contract terms with that kind of contract. For that much money the terms could very well be Racing's to write.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I think Sexton is a fantastic player, 1 of the best 10's in the world.

Question is though, should he picked now for Ireland ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

I see the thread title has been changed, has Jacky Lorentzi been on the phone to boards.ie personally?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pretty sure Sexton woulda dictated all the terms in the Racing contract to make sure he was free for all training camps.

There are mandatory international windows in November and spring its unlikely he will get any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

liammur wrote: »

Yes.

End of discussion.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clareman wrote: »
    It will do, and I don't think central contracts are bound by position so it could go to someone else, or free up money else where, if the 500k amount is right you could get 10 coaches for it
    I'm pretty sure they aren't bound by position either.

Could see some of the fringe Ireland players this 6N playing for a central contract in the summer. I'm thinking the likes of Henry etc.

I agree with emmet in that Jackson, Madigan etc aren't there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I see the thread title has been changed, has Jacky Lorentzi been on the phone to boards.ie personally?

IRFU have released a statement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, it's not even debatable.

Racing may well not even be in the HEC next year. What a waste.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

French teams aren't allowed announce signings outside of their transfer windows so you'll be heading nothing from Racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Of course. But if Madigan, Keatley or Jackson really start to step up his position should not be as certain as it would have been if he was still with Leinster

GerM wrote: »
    It's all over the Irish media, online and radio. IRFU CEO has released a statement saying he's leaving Ireland and signing for another side. Racing have not been named but I think at this point we can all take it for granted.

Probaly, but still not a whiff over here in France which I find very strange. Yes the club have to keep stumn but "leaks" are a daily occurence

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Christ on a bike, why the hell wouldn't he still be picked?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ofcourse, who else?

IRFU have released a statement.

4pp means about the Racing end of the title.

We know Sexton's gone, we don't know where to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

This is bad news for Leinster and the pro 12 but it's potentially good news for everyone else.

Next season Irish rugby will have Sexton, Madigan, Jackson and hopefully Keatley and maybe even Hanarahan playing 1st team rugby week in week out.

There is always the danger that Sexton could be flogged in France but given Racing also have Hernandez and given the fact French clubs rotate a lot I'm not sure he will.

It also saves the IRFU money which might help them keep the likes of Kearney and Healy in Ireland.

The danger is that Sexton moving could encourage others to follow.

French teams aren't allowed announce signings outside of their transfer windows so you'll be heading nothing from Racing.

Of course not, just like we heard nothing from Bougedela about Habana/Smit but it was still all over the media here.....

I repeat, it is very strange that there has been no leak.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I feel like I've been dumped.... for a rich french guy.. he'll never love you like i do.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Not much of a question. Until another 10 can show anything close to what Sexton offers with some level of consistency, then Sexton should remain first choice.

You don't ditch the best 10 in Europe for up and coming provincial players because they play their rugby a two hour flight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Maybe he's not going to Racing at all but another big French club!
    Imagine if it was Clermont! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Dan Parks is the NIQ 10 in Ireland
    didn't the niq poisitional slots just apply to Munster, leinster and Ulster? That would leave it open

Edit, on phone and didn't realise this post was so old at this stage... Someone got there a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Racing are 9th in the league, he could easily go to any other team in that division. From the looks of it he wont be playing HCup rugby next year. On the face of it, its a bad move imo. Still the money is great. I cant help but think hes rushing in a little though.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Maybe he's not going to Racing at all but another big French club!
    Imagine if it was Clermont! :eek:

I'd be tempted to watch a hell of a lot more T14 if he ended up at Clermont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

.ak wrote: »
    Ofcourse, who else?

I'm not sure it's a good idea picking players who leave, but as you say there's no one else there I suppose.

I'm not sure it's a good idea picking players who leave, but as you say there's no one else there I suppose.

Why?

Of course not, just like we heard nothing from Bougedela about Habana/Smit but it was still all over the media here.....

I repeat, it is very strange that there has been no leak.........

So far this is all that been reported..........

Rugby - Celtic League
    Leinster: Sexton ne restera pas

Publié le 25/01/2013 à 14:29, mis à jour le 25/01/2013 à 14:44
    Ce vendredi, la fédération irlandaise (IRFU) a annoncé que Jonathan Sexton (27 ans, 34 sélections), le demi d'ouverture international du Leinster, n'allait pas prolonger à la fin de la saison. Depuis quelques semaines, le joueur est pressenti au Racing-Métro. Son entraineur actuel, Joe Schmidt, a d'ailleurs confié que "l'offre qu'il a reçu était exceptionnelle, même pour les normes françaises".

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd be tempted to watch a hell of a lot more T14 if he ended up at Clermont.

If he was to go to Clermont, they'd be nigh on unstoppable. Scary prospect!

Advertisement