Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New campaign 'Don't be that guy' - how effective will it really be?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

mariaalice wrote: »
    There in lies the rub....you cant be a rapist and an average decent guy who made a mistake. It has to be one or the other, if that were the case you are making judgement about behaviour including the woman behaviour you are taking a nuanced view of the situation.

In a way I agreer with you it is a very had one to call, sometimes people do things when they are young/teenagers that they would never do as an adult with an adults brain and mature understanding of the world.

What can be just a mistake for man can have devastating life long consequences for a woman.

Sorry but I disagree. I would imagine there are a lot of decent guys who get too drunk and make poor decisions that wouldn't typically come to mind when you think of 'rape'. As has been said before, there are less black and white situations.

What if the man is so drunk he doesn't realise the girl is trying to say no (I know there's occassions where I've got so drunk I can barely speak so a woman could be trying to say no but physically not able to move or speak)? What if the man is so drunk he doesn't realise the girl is passed out? What if the girl is extremely drunk and the man relatively sober but the woman appears to be ok (as has been said before a lot of people appear to be relatively sober but are so drunk they remember nothing from the night).

That is an excuse though :/

"I had drink taken and she didnt refuse me before she passed out" <-- rape. No two ways about it. Sometimes stuff really is black and white.

Well, that is a very black and white situation you gave. What about the examples I gave above?
    Who could possibly think that isn't rape? Like, really and truly believe it was grand?

If you've read the thread you will see there are many.
    The underlying assumption of this ad campaign is that ALL men are potential rapists or sex offenders. I find that deeply offensive, as a male. Also, the idea that a genuine sexual predator is going to change his behaviour because of a misandrist advertising campaign seems hopelessly naive.

HOW is it assuming all men are potential rapists?

Is an ad promoting drinking responsibly assuming everyone who drinks alcohol irresponsible?

Is an ad about speeding or drink driving saying all drivers are like that?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Years and years ago, drink driving meant the auld lad that had seventeen pints and a few whiskeys and meandered his way home in his car. Having 2 or 3 drinks and driving was considered being the designated driver.

Indeed when I first started to drive, having "one for the road" was common. If you refused a pint, a shot was offered :confused: I was deeply uncomfortable with consuming any alcohol while driving as firstly a fatality in the family caused by a drunk driver was at the forefront of my mind at all times, and also, I could never be sure if I was over the limit even marginally or not.

Many occasions I would have 3 pints of lager lined up in front of me, bought by the passengers who got miffed when I wouldn't drink them, and they still thought I would have been sober enough to get them home safely.

These days, thanks to high profile campaigns, social change has happened. We no longer insist designated drivers have a drink, or have another, in fact its common to see friends taking the keys off someone who intended to drive. Its become uncool to drink and drive. There ARE still drink drivers of course, but the nice, well rounded individuals now recognise that being over the limit is not worth the fall-out should they get in an accident, or pulled over by the Gardai. They know where the line into illegality is drawn now, and so do the group they are drinking with. This needs to happen with rape.

I've seen groups of guys think its hilarious to see their mate "cop off" with the comatose girl, and they need to see its not funny, its rape. If this campaign raises awareness so that even one guy in a group recognises that their friend is straying into a rape situation and says "mate, I think she is too drunk, better not go there", or steps in to prevent another friend from dragging said girl to a bathroom or bedroom because they recognise it as rape, its a step in the right direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭captainpants23

HOW is it assuming all men are potential rapists?

Is an ad promoting drinking responsibly assuming everyone who drinks alcohol irresponsible?

Is an ad about speeding or drink driving saying all drivers are like that?

The phrase "Don't be that guy" addresses all men, without subtlety, nuance or qualification. It assumes that all men need to heed its message. I find the ad campaigns of Drink Aware and the RSA similarly hectoring, confrontational and unsubtle. (I don't drink alcohol and I cycle rather than drive, but I still feel like they are addressing me.) And for an advertising campaign to be effective, the perception of the target audience is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

What if the man is so drunk he doesn't realise the girl is trying to say no (I know there's occassions where I've got so drunk I can barely speak so a woman could be trying to say no but physically not able to move or speak)? What if the man is so drunk he doesn't realise the girl is passed out? What if the girl is extremely drunk and the man relatively sober but the woman appears to be ok (as has been said before a lot of people appear to be relatively sober but are so drunk they remember nothing from the night).

They are quite hypothetical. And i'd wonder how drunk a man would have to be to not notice (or even worse not care) that someone isn't moving at all, or reciprocating in any way.

And the last bit, if consent is given, and the guy believes that the woman is sober, is that rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I though the.. Man up... campaign was very negative toward men but not this campaign mainly because the ..Don't be that guy...campain is centred around ideas of consent and the role of alcohol its not saying all men have the potential to be rapists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The phrase "Don't be that guy" addresses all men, without subtlety, nuance or qualification. It assumes that all men need to heed its message. I find the ad campaigns of Drink Aware and the RSA similarly hectoring, confrontational and unsubtle. (I don't drink alcohol and I cycle rather than drive, but I still feel like they are addressing me.) And for an advertising campaign to be effective, the perception of the target audience is very important.

So you are not going to be that guy, therefore the campaign is not aimed at you.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    I though the.. Man up... campaign was very negative toward men but not this campaign mainly because the ..Don't be that guy...campain is centred around ideas of consent and the role of alcohol its not saying all men have the potential to be rapists.

Exactly to me it is saying that in certain cirumstances under the influence of alcohol a guy may act out of character, and it's warning of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Stheno wrote: »
    So you are not going to be that guy, therefore the campaign is not aimed at you.

Is any guy going to think he's that guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

leggo wrote: »
    I think people need to clarify the difference between having sex with someone 'while drunk' and having sex with someone while 'so drunk they can't meaningfully consent'. If you consider a drunk man and drunk woman having sex as that man raping that woman, then you're probably saying that 60% of the sexual intercourse that happens on a Saturday night in Ireland would be considered rape (and being extremely sexist in doing so). And no, A isn't adequate shorthand for B. It needs to be clarified.

I'm all for anti-rape campaigns, but the first necessity is that everyone agrees upon what rape actually is...or it doesn't really do anything productive, does it?

Why are you quoting me? I cited a study about the cognitive dissonance that college-aged students had towards behaviour that would be classed as rape.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is any guy going to think he that guy?
    Probably not sober, but we all have the potential to act differently under the influence of a lot of drink.

And given the many examples of it in practice and being acceptable in this thread, maybe raising this awareness is no bad thing?

And given the many examples of it in practice and being acceptable in this thread, maybe raising this awareness is no bad thing?

Yeah, to be honest, that's why I support it. I don't believe the vast majority of men would have sex with an unconscious or unresponsive (I'd find it suspicious if a woman wasn't doing ANYTHING, and I'd probably be like Woah that's not right), but I do think this will cause a group of men to, as an example, treat a guy slapping an unconscious women's bottom as a potential escalation.

Bit of a question, is this about men raping a woman while under the influence, or a man raping an unconscious woman?

• Advertisement

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Yeah, to be honest, that's why I support it. I don't believe the vast majority of men would have sex with an unconscious or unresponsive (I'd find it suspicious if a woman wasn't doing ANYTHING, and I'd probably be like Woah that's not right), but I do think this will cause a group of men to, as an example, treat a guy slapping an unconscious women's bottom as a potential escalation.

Bit of a question, is this about men raping a woman while under the influence, or a man raping an unconscious woman?

Your first paragraph is pretty much exactly like I'd think, there's a case in the states at the minute that has gone viral of an entire town being implicit in covering up the rape of an unconscious woman by guys on the football team.

That's an exception, and I'd believe men/boys who would behave like this are also an exception.

The question to me is always about men making sure they have consent before engaging in sex, an unconscious woman cannot give consent, whereas someone after a few drinks can, and men under the influence should be able to determine that their partner wants to and consents to having sex with them. If they are unsure, they shouldn't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Is any guy going to think he that guy?

Errr... yes? Especially if he's already done something similar or has been thinking of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Millicent wrote: »
    Why are you quoting me? I cited a study about the cognitive dissonance that college-aged students had towards behaviour that would be classed as rape.

Because you (along with others; I merely quoted you and eviltwin as examples) specifically mentioned that...
    The scary thing is it's not a certain type of creep. This study found that a scary six percent of college students didn't think sleeping with someone while drunk was rape.

It's not...necessarily.

I'm not having a go or being pedantic, just saying that the definition needs to be expanded. It's not adequate shorthand, especially in the process of raising awareness. You can't say, "You know what I mean..." when the point of the campaign is to increase awareness that's, presumably, not already there. The message needs to be clear. Thus muddling it only causes confusion, getting away from what's important, i.e. what does and doesn't count as consent.

seenitall wrote: »
    Errr... yes? Especially if he's already done something similar or has been thinking of doing it.

If he's done something similar before and knows he did, I highly doubt this campaign is going to affect whether or not he does it again.

The problem isn't if he thinks he is, it's whether or not he'll give a damn.

Because you (along with others; I merely quoted you and eviltwin as examples) specifically mentioned that...

It's not...necessarily.

I'm not having a go or being pedantic, just saying that the definition needs to be expanded. It's not adequate shorthand, especially in the process of raising awareness. You can't say, "You know what I mean..." when the point of the campaign is to increase awareness that's, presumably, not already there. The message needs to be clear. Thus muddling it only causes confusion, getting away from what's important, i.e. what does and doesn't count as consent.

It's the study's definitions. Did you read it? It's not my definition. These were clearly defined acts of rape.

ETA: This is the very clear definition:

2) Have you ever had sexual intercourse with someone who did not want you to because they were too intoxicated to resist?

There's no grey area there. That's rape.

ETA 2: The girl in that ad campaign is visibly too drunk to give consent. I don't see the message of the ad being in any way "muddled".

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

The campaign is obviously based on the premise that at least some of these guys will stop and think/give a damn, so this is who it is targeting. Or do you think that it is too far-fetched an idea?

I happened upon this Jezebel article the other night. It's rapists on Reddit saying why they raped. Though there's one obvious evil ****er, the vast majority of the guys who came forward are guys who weren't thinking properly and made a huge mistake that still haunts them. Those are the guys this campaign is aimed at.

I happened upon this Jezebel article the other night. It's rapists on Reddit saying why they raped. Though there's one obvious evil ****er, the vast majority of the guys who came forward are guys who weren't thinking properly and made a huge mistake that still haunts them. Those are the guys this campaign is aimed at.

Everybody should read that article. It's factual, brilliantly written, and, not to drag this thread off topic, it mentions the fact that drunk men can be raped as well.

• Advertisement

This is it for me, it's about changing a mindset, which seems to have worked going by that article.

It's the study's definitions. Did you read it? It's not my definition. These were clearly defined acts of rape.

ETA: This is the very clear definition:

2) Have you ever had sexual intercourse with someone who did not want you to because they were too intoxicated to resist?

There's no grey area there. That's rape.

ETA 2: The girl in that ad campaign is visibly too drunk to give consent. I don't see the message of the ad being in any way "muddled".

Like I said, I'm not having a go. But what you've quoted there isn't the same as what you ended up translating it into in your post, i.e. that "having sex with someone while drunk is rape".

They're your words, not mine, nor the reports for that matter. I'm simply saying that that needs to be clarified. In a campaign for raising awareness...that matters.

I don't dispute the definition you gave in that post, nor would I have if it was what you said to begin with. We're on the same team here, relax. :)

Like I said, I'm not having a go. But what you've quoted there isn't the same as what you ended up translating it into in your post, i.e. that "having sex with someone while drunk is rape".

They're your words, not mine, nor the reports for that matter. I'm simply saying that that needs to be clarified. In a campaign for raising awareness...that matters.

I don't dispute the definition you gave in that post, nor would I have if it was what you said to begin with. We're on the same team here, relax. :)

Sorry. I've been in a few of these threads and it's happened in just about all of them that people try to downplay the seriousness of the subject by throwing things off track with pedantry.

I shouldn't have assumed that of you; these threads just make me a bit defensive sometimes.

Sorry. I've been in a few of these threads and it's happened in just about all of them that people try to downplay the seriousness of the subject by throwing things off track with pedantry.

I shouldn't have assumed that of you; these threads just make me a bit defensive sometimes.

Not at all, I can see why it might seem that way. I would never try and downplay or detract from the seriousness of the issue, though. All good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

So you're admitting the RSA ads are similar in that retrospect and that you don't like them either?

Yet the RSA ads have likely contributed significantly to the decrease in accidents on our roads over the last few years?

Just shows that they can be effective.

"Don't be that guy" doesn't address all men. :confused: It addresses specific men who are thinking that what they're doing is ok and it's trying to change their perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

If he's done something similar before and knows he did, I highly doubt this campaign is going to affect whether or not he does it again.

I have to disagree with these comments.

I think there's a definite chance of changing opinions with these campaigns, eventually causing overall social change. Not all rapists are evil psychopaths who don't give a **** about hurting people. These "grey areas" and thinking "well, is that really rape?" have to stop. And awareness and lots and lots of discussions and talking about it will make that change. If we've completely overhauled our attitudes to drink driving, we can do it with this.

There will always be evil psychopaths out there ready and waiting to take advantage, but maybe in the least these campaigns will make sure that every single one of that person's friends will feel confident enough to step in, stand up and stop that person from carrying out a crime. Cause at the moment, there's far too many people second guessing the "grey areas" and too afraid to use their voice because of it.

Agreed, these changes start with ads/media campaigns like this and really work when it comes to the watercooler or dinner table. You look at how engrained it is in us now that using contraception is good, smoking will kill you and that drink-driving is bad. That's how it happened over time: when we sit down and evaluate how these eye-catching ads make us feel (and others see how it makes their peers feel, too).

If this campaign can get on-point over time and strike an easy-to-digest message then I'm very confident it'd change perception (and who knows? Maybe 'Don't be that guy' is it...it just doesn't strike me as strong enough to be 'the one', and a lot of my day-to-day work is in marketing). And this is the kind of serious issue were even a slight improvement is still a big improvement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

This may have been asked, but what is the legal stance when two people who are too drunk to consent have sex. Are they both guilty of rape?

These "grey areas" and thinking "well, is that really rape?" have to stop

I'm going to copy and post a question from earlier on (by me):
    And the last bit, if consent is given, and the guy believes that the woman is sober, is that rape?

You can replace sober with more sober, as in they've both been drinking, or replace either person to be a man or a woman, or both sexes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Before this thread goes completely off topic, I'd just like to add, nobody is disputing that men can't get raped or be in a vulnerable position. And I also don't think that the campaign was trying to imply that all men are rapists. That's not what we're saying here...
    I think I read somewhere that men can't be raped by women unless its with an object. Are there are legal experts on here to confirm.

Advertisement