Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Can openelect boot from an external hdd? Have installed it on two USB sticks but keep getting error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Pete67 wrote: »
    I have mine running on 64bit Win8 Pro (€15 upgrade) and it's pretty decent. HD video is no problem, but to get sound on HDMI I had to get an additional driver from Realtek. Most of the drivers supplied on CD and on the Arctic website are for 32 bit OS only - primarily for Win 7. However the one for the built in tuner card did work with Win8 64.

I plan to dual boot with OpenElec, but have not got around to this yet.

Cheapest blueray I've found here

Do you know how easy is it to install a blu-ray to this? I haven't opened up mine yet but was wondering what else would be needed with that drive. Is the connections for the sata built into the motherboard or does it need cables for data and power like in a regular PC motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

can this be placed on horizontally or does it have to be vertical for the passive cooling to work properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Do you know how easy is it to install a blu-ray to this? I haven't opened up mine yet but was wondering what else would be needed with that drive. Is the connections for the sata built into the motherboard or does it need cables for data and power like in a regular PC motherboard

No cables, it just plugs straight in to the motherboard. Mine came with a bracket and bezel to suit the Arctic case, which you use to install the drive.

Pete67 wrote: »
    No cables, it just plugs straight in to the motherboard. Mine came with a bracket and bezel to suit the Arctic case, which you use to install the drive.

Cool, thanks for that. Thought as much. Found the bezel alright when opened the box. Guess the mounting bracket is one of the silver ones in the pack. Will chcek it out tonight. Hopefully the drive will work fine in Openelec.

• Advertisement

Getting the following message on boot up:

Error in mount flash mount common could not mount label=openelect (22.439477) system halt

Any help appreciated this is on two USB sticks used and the generic version of openelec mentioned here.

Error in mount flash mount common could not mount label=openelect (22.439477) system halt

Any help appreciated this is on two USB sticks used and the generic version of openelec mentioned here.

Make sure to 'safely remove' the flash drive after creating it with Windows.

Scruff wrote: »
    can this be placed on horizontally or does it have to be vertical for the passive cooling to work properly?

They recommend you run it vertically - that way the main heatsink is up the top and there's a massive vent above it.

Im running it horizontally, im happy with the temps. YMMV

Make sure to 'safely remove' the flash drive after creating it with Windows.

Thanks tried that just there still no look

Thanks tried that just there still no look

Make sure your bootable stick is named OPENELEC.

Alternatively maybe try the old method of creating the bootable USB rather than the .exe (the create_installstick.bat file). Just be careful with this method not to wipe the wrong disk.
    http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC/Creating_The_Install_Key#tab=Windows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Seen this LG HL CT30F for 29 euro ..... May get stung for VAT

OR

THIS maybe a better option. Coming from the UK at 29 pounds delivered (approx 34 euro) It's meant to have the LG-HL-CT30F inside. If you can get the seller to combine postage on multi purcahes you could do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Follow instructions on this site.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC

create the install USB first and then create you final install on the Arctic not on a windows PC.

If that makes any sense to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

Can anyone recommend a cheap compatible ssd to run openelec i was looking at this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-TS8GSSD25-S-8GB-2-5-Internal/dp/B000T9VTSO/ref=sr_1_32?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360163371&sr=1-32

not sure if it supports TRIM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    THIS maybe a better option. Coming from the UK at 29 pounds delivered (approx 34 euro) It's meant to have the LG-HL-CT30F inside. If you can get the seller to combine postage on multi purcahes you could do very well.

The ebay one will work out a lot cheaper if you can use parcel motel as it's only £3 for UK delivery Vs. £12 international.

invest4deepvalue.com

m8 wrote: »

Follow instructions on this site.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC

create the install USB first and then create you final install on the Arctic not on a windows PC.

If that makes any sense to you?
    Thanks I'll take alook at that site I just downloaded it and unpacked it onto my desktop then attached a USB stick and hit the installer when it was done I connected it to the arctic and turned it on. I'm missing a step obviously I'll try again using the site

Renamed the drive openelect all is working now thanks lads for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 53,930 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

whats the usual wait time from shipment to delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I don't think that lg Blu ray is the right connection? Anyone can confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I've ordered a Blu ray with mini sata

And the following ssd
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/64gbgskillfalcon230mbreadssd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ordered Monday 28th January and received mine Monday 4th February IIRC.

Good news on the MC001 specific build of Openelec 3.0 which will definitely give us the appliance like boot times openelec is famous for and might get the tuner card working too if we're lucky. Openelec developer just posted to expect it in a week baring any unforeseen bugs cropping up. (I know, I know, all bugs are unforeseen or they wouldn't be bugs :D )

Have 1 of mine set up fully. I've tried a few skins and am pleased to report they all run lovely and smooth. Was settling on metropolis because I liked the views and don't like the horizontal menu bars of confluence or aeon box. I was scared off of Transparecy by the garish acid trip colours of the skin download thumbnail. Thought it must be a stoner skin:D How wrong was I!! The colourful background is just on the settings screen. The rest of the skin is gorgeous.

This is the beauty of the deal OP clued us in on. A pretty and silent box that's fast enough to run all the nice skins for the paltry price of the underpowered boxes like the boxee and Pivos xios and now with a dedicated build to give us 6 second boot times.

Oh and my harmony remotes (€18) worked out of the box when set to emulate an xbox360 remote.

Thanks again OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

well it cost me 40 euros to post it back with anpost, They did say they'd refund it.

Just have to sit back and wait i suppose

Headshot wrote: »
    whats the usual wait time from shipment to delivery?

Ordered Tue 29th evening. Got shipment email on Wed 30th and arrived in Parcel Motel, NI on Tuesday 5th.

My add-ons list is blank again, have noticed no matter what I set as DNS in the Openelec Network settings (any DNS) that in System info I have 1 DNS 127.0.0.1 and I'm almost sure this is related to the add-ons going blank randomly. Have rebooted between every change.

Have even tried changing on my router to use 8.8.4.4 (googles public DNS but no joy).

Any else have the same issue?

subway wrote: »
    I've ordered a Blu ray with mini sata

And the following ssd
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/64gbgskillfalcon230mbreadssd.html

They seem to be sold out of that SSD for now.

m8 wrote: »
    My add-ons list is blank again, have noticed no matter what I set as DNS in the Openelec Network settings (any DNS) that in System info I have 1 DNS 127.0.0.1 and I'm almost sure this is related to the add-ons going blank randomly. Have rebooted between every change.

Have even tried changing on my router to use 8.8.4.4 (googles public DNS but no joy).

Any else have the same issue?

That's normal, it always says 127.0.0.1. Its just a quirk of the connection manager.

Its better to reset your Openelec network settings to default and set your DNS, static IP etc on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Well lads how are ye getting on with yours.
    I have to say fair play to the op on this,it was a great spot.I have now got my remote (tbs one i got with a 6981 sat card)working with xbmc using eventghost.
    The best bit even herslf can use it.The only drawback is i can put it to sleep with the remote but cant wake it,i have to push the power button on the front.
    I can see the price going up on these so may get in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Calibos wrote: »
    Ordered Monday 28th January and received mine Monday 4th February IIRC.

Good news on the MC001 specific build of Openelec 3.0 which will definitely give us the appliance like boot times openelec is famous for and might get the tuner card working too if we're lucky. Openelec developer just posted to expect it in a week baring any unforeseen bugs cropping up. (I know, I know, all bugs are unforeseen or they wouldn't be bugs :D )

Have 1 of mine set up fully. I've tried a few skins and am pleased to report they all run lovely and smooth. Was settling on metropolis because I liked the views and don't like the horizontal menu bars of confluence or aeon box. I was scared off of Transparecy by the garish acid trip colours of the skin download thumbnail. Thought it must be a stoner skin:D How wrong was I!! The colourful background is just on the settings screen. The rest of the skin is gorgeous.

This is the beauty of the deal OP clued us in on. A pretty and silent box that's fast enough to run all the nice skins for the paltry price of the underpowered boxes like the boxee and Pivos xios and now with a dedicated build to give us 6 second boot times.

Oh and my harmony remotes (€18) worked out of the box when set to emulate an xbox360 remote.

Thanks again OP.

What Harmony remote did you get for €18? And where did you get it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

What Harmony remote did you get for €18? And where did you get it?

Thanks!

Hey man,
    He got them from amazon.de and its the 300i remote.
    €15 plus postage i think;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hey man,
    He got them from amazon.de and its the 300i remote.
    €15 plus postage i think;)

before i pull the trigger on the MC001-N (€99.95) is the MC001-E worth the extra €20?
    Also is there any issues connecting an external HDD to these machines? (if i use openelec)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

neacy69 wrote: »
    before i pull the trigger on the MC001-N (€99.95) is the MC001-E worth the extra €20?

IMO no it's not worth the €20, someone gave a link for a compatible blu-ray drive for around the same cost so if you want to have an optical drive i would suggest getting the blu-ray drive separately is a better way to go.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement