Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Seen this LG HL CT30F for 29 euro ..... May get stung for VAT

OR

THIS maybe a better option. Coming from the UK at 29 pounds delivered (approx 34 euro) It's meant to have the LG-HL-CT30F inside. If you can get the seller to combine postage on multi purcahes you could do very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Getting the following message on boot up:

Error in mount flash mount common could not mount label=openelect (22.439477) system halt

Any help appreciated this is on two USB sticks used and the generic version of openelec mentioned here.

Follow instructions on this site.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC

create the install USB first and then create you final install on the Arctic not on a windows PC.

If that makes any sense to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

Can anyone recommend a cheap compatible ssd to run openelec i was looking at this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-TS8GSSD25-S-8GB-2-5-Internal/dp/B000T9VTSO/ref=sr_1_32?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360163371&sr=1-32

not sure if it supports TRIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    THIS maybe a better option. Coming from the UK at 29 pounds delivered (approx 34 euro) It's meant to have the LG-HL-CT30F inside. If you can get the seller to combine postage on multi purcahes you could do very well.

The ebay one will work out a lot cheaper if you can use parcel motel as it's only £3 for UK delivery Vs. £12 international.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

m8 wrote: »

Follow instructions on this site.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Installing_OpenELEC

create the install USB first and then create you final install on the Arctic not on a windows PC.

If that makes any sense to you?
    Thanks I'll take alook at that site I just downloaded it and unpacked it onto my desktop then attached a USB stick and hit the installer when it was done I connected it to the arctic and turned it on. I'm missing a step obviously I'll try again using the site

Renamed the drive openelect all is working now thanks lads for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

whats the usual wait time from shipment to delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I don't think that lg Blu ray is the right connection? Anyone can confirm?

I've ordered a Blu ray with mini sata

And the following ssd
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/64gbgskillfalcon230mbreadssd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ordered Monday 28th January and received mine Monday 4th February IIRC.

Good news on the MC001 specific build of Openelec 3.0 which will definitely give us the appliance like boot times openelec is famous for and might get the tuner card working too if we're lucky. Openelec developer just posted to expect it in a week baring any unforeseen bugs cropping up. (I know, I know, all bugs are unforeseen or they wouldn't be bugs :D )

Have 1 of mine set up fully. I've tried a few skins and am pleased to report they all run lovely and smooth. Was settling on metropolis because I liked the views and don't like the horizontal menu bars of confluence or aeon box. I was scared off of Transparecy by the garish acid trip colours of the skin download thumbnail. Thought it must be a stoner skin:D How wrong was I!! The colourful background is just on the settings screen. The rest of the skin is gorgeous.

This is the beauty of the deal OP clued us in on. A pretty and silent box that's fast enough to run all the nice skins for the paltry price of the underpowered boxes like the boxee and Pivos xios and now with a dedicated build to give us 6 second boot times.

Oh and my harmony remotes (€18) worked out of the box when set to emulate an xbox360 remote.

Thanks again OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

well it cost me 40 euros to post it back with anpost, They did say they'd refund it.

Just have to sit back and wait i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Headshot wrote: »
    whats the usual wait time from shipment to delivery?

Ordered Tue 29th evening. Got shipment email on Wed 30th and arrived in Parcel Motel, NI on Tuesday 5th.

My add-ons list is blank again, have noticed no matter what I set as DNS in the Openelec Network settings (any DNS) that in System info I have 1 DNS 127.0.0.1 and I'm almost sure this is related to the add-ons going blank randomly. Have rebooted between every change.

Have even tried changing on my router to use 8.8.4.4 (googles public DNS but no joy).

Any else have the same issue?

subway wrote: »
    I've ordered a Blu ray with mini sata

And the following ssd
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/64gbgskillfalcon230mbreadssd.html

They seem to be sold out of that SSD for now.

My add-ons list is blank again, have noticed no matter what I set as DNS in the Openelec Network settings (any DNS) that in System info I have 1 DNS 127.0.0.1 and I'm almost sure this is related to the add-ons going blank randomly. Have rebooted between every change.

Have even tried changing on my router to use 8.8.4.4 (googles public DNS but no joy).

Any else have the same issue?

That's normal, it always says 127.0.0.1. Its just a quirk of the connection manager.

Its better to reset your Openelec network settings to default and set your DNS, static IP etc on your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Well lads how are ye getting on with yours.
    I have to say fair play to the op on this,it was a great spot.I have now got my remote (tbs one i got with a 6981 sat card)working with xbmc using eventghost.
    The best bit even herslf can use it.The only drawback is i can put it to sleep with the remote but cant wake it,i have to push the power button on the front.
    I can see the price going up on these so may get in there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Calibos wrote: »
    Ordered Monday 28th January and received mine Monday 4th February IIRC.

Good news on the MC001 specific build of Openelec 3.0 which will definitely give us the appliance like boot times openelec is famous for and might get the tuner card working too if we're lucky. Openelec developer just posted to expect it in a week baring any unforeseen bugs cropping up. (I know, I know, all bugs are unforeseen or they wouldn't be bugs :D )

Have 1 of mine set up fully. I've tried a few skins and am pleased to report they all run lovely and smooth. Was settling on metropolis because I liked the views and don't like the horizontal menu bars of confluence or aeon box. I was scared off of Transparecy by the garish acid trip colours of the skin download thumbnail. Thought it must be a stoner skin:D How wrong was I!! The colourful background is just on the settings screen. The rest of the skin is gorgeous.

This is the beauty of the deal OP clued us in on. A pretty and silent box that's fast enough to run all the nice skins for the paltry price of the underpowered boxes like the boxee and Pivos xios and now with a dedicated build to give us 6 second boot times.

Oh and my harmony remotes (€18) worked out of the box when set to emulate an xbox360 remote.

Thanks again OP.

What Harmony remote did you get for €18? And where did you get it?

Thanks!

What Harmony remote did you get for €18? And where did you get it?

Thanks!

Hey man,
    He got them from amazon.de and its the 300i remote.
    €15 plus postage i think;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hey man,
    He got them from amazon.de and its the 300i remote.
    €15 plus postage i think;)

before i pull the trigger on the MC001-N (€99.95) is the MC001-E worth the extra €20?
    Also is there any issues connecting an external HDD to these machines? (if i use openelec)

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote: »
    before i pull the trigger on the MC001-N (€99.95) is the MC001-E worth the extra €20?

IMO no it's not worth the €20, someone gave a link for a compatible blu-ray drive for around the same cost so if you want to have an optical drive i would suggest getting the blu-ray drive separately is a better way to go.

invest4deepvalue.com

Depends on whether you think the dvd drive is worth 20 notes or if ya could pick one up in adverts or somewhere else cheaper.
    Or as some of the lads,want to get bluray,it's up to you really!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ok I just bought the MC001-N (€99.95)....looking forward to getting it now! Cheers OP!

PS. I seen a few posts about using a remote with these machines any idea if this remote will work with it?
    Its an xbox360 IR6 remote
    344px-Xbox_360_remote.jpg

AM i'd say that will work alright,if not straight away with eventghost.

When you ask questions and remotes and Bluray drives etc, you need to be clear about what OS you plan to use.

For example I wouldn't bother with a Bluray drive under Linux.

Hey lads having issues with the wireless as in it's not working any tips I'm using openelec.

• Advertisement

Hey lads having issues with the wireless as in it's not working any tips I'm using openelec.

Put the network settings to default and start fresh. All the configuring should be done in Network 1 tab to keep it simple.
    Network type = WLAN
    Interface = wlan0.
    SSID=(your router ssid)
    encryption type and password you get from your router setup.

That's all you should need to fill in, everything else should be gotten automatically. Make sure to click OK to save the settings. It usually takes a reboot or two to come into effect.

Make sure to put the wifi antenna on of course.

Put the network settings to default and start fresh. All the configuring should be done in Network 1 tab to keep it simple.
    Network type = WLAN
    Interface = wlan0.
    SSID=(your router ssid)
    encryption type and password you get from your router setup.

That's all you should need to fill in, everything else should be gotten automatically. Make sure to click OK to save the settings. It usually takes a reboot or two to come into effect.

Make sure to put the wifi antenna on of course.
    Thanks man worked straight off cheers for all your help setting up this. We're would a noob be without boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Pardon my ignorance, but do I need to add a HD and Ram to this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When you ask questions and remotes and Bluray drives etc, you need to be clear about what OS you plan to use.

For example I wouldn't bother with a Bluray drive under Linux.

Why not?

Back again to pick some brains I have it All setup and working ( playing mOvies, downloading thumbnails etc ) but I have no add ons at all. Can't change skins or anything again anyone help?,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

clio_16v wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but do I need to add a HD and Ram to this?

depends on what you bought, the answer is , yes probably

dahamsta wrote: »
    Why not?

Playing Bluray under Linux is just a hassle. DVD works perfectly but playing Blurays is a pain - the encryption can be regularly updated, keys revoked, all this kind of stuff. BD-J menus arent supported.

It can be done and i've tested it myself but its just a hassle and with the low price of Bluray players nowadays personally I wouldn't bother putting a drive into a HTPC.

Again, just under Linux im talking about. If you have Windows you can use PowerDVD or whatever.

neacy69 wrote: »
    Ok I just bought the MC001-N (€99.95)....looking forward to getting it now! Cheers OP!

PS. I seen a few posts about using a remote with these machines any idea if this remote will work with it?
    Its an xbox360 IR6 remote
    344px-Xbox_360_remote.jpg

Yep, I dug my one out of a drawer and popped some batteries in a few days ago Worked right out of the box so to speak. In fact its how I discovered that the slow remote response of my Harmony 300 was not completely down to the remote itself or the MC001 or XBMC settings. All the MCE devices I configured my harmony with worked but were a bit slow. That remote was lovely and smooth and fast. I then used the 360 base map for the Harmony. Now that harmony was almost as quick as that 360 remote. However an email to Logitech Support should get it performing as fast as that remote. Button press delay and inter key delay can be only be adjusted on their end with these cheapo Harmonys. With the more expensive harmonys one can adhust things like delay settings oneself via the softare. (Not on the Harmony 200 or 600 though.

IN short, if you have one of them remotes and you don't need a universal type remote like the Harmany to control multiple devices, then you are already Golden.

Will all these remotes work with openelec or do you need to do some extra setup for them?

Back again to pick some brains I have it All setup and working ( playing mOvies, downloading thumbnails etc ) but I have no add ons at all. Can't change skins or anything again anyone help?,

Have the same issue as well but at one point I could get the add-ons.

Changed my DNS settings to Goodles one 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I got the add-ons whith those settings.

Reset your network settings to default and then setup static with google DNS. You might need to reboot a few times.

I changed my settings to use wifi and lost the add-ons again . Settings were ok as could stream from local server so DNS seems to be the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've ordered one of these for my sis. I have my own HTPC running Openelec but she wants to be able to browse the net etc. Essentially using it as a "smart TV" box as well as a media player. I have a spare 2Gig DIMM and a 500GB HDD.

My question is: Has anyone set this up running Win XP or Win 7 with XBMC on top with 2Gig RAM? Just wondering what HD playback through XBMC over wireless N signal is like? Does it stutter etc?..... Can it handle win XP running XBMC?

Cheers for the info folks

Tried it on a PC with XP but 4gb Ram and wireless G. All was fine no problems streaming at all with my setup.

Also tried an an realy old pc with wifi b and got the odd buffer on it.

I think it should be fine tbh.

Have the same issue as well but at one point I could get the add-ons.

Changed my DNS settings to Goodles one 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I got the add-ons whith those settings.

Reset your network settings to default and then setup static with google DNS. You might need to reboot a few times.

I changed my settings to use wifi and lost the add-ons again . Settings were ok as could stream from local server so DNS seems to be the issue here.
    Turned it on today and all the add ons are there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Tried it on a PC with XP but 4gb Ram and wireless G. All was fine no problems streaming at all with my setup.

Also tried an an realy old pc with wifi b and got the odd buffer on it.

I think it should be fine tbh.
    Yeah, I mean my own streams 1080 fine over N. So her network should be fine. Was just wondering about the proc really. Cheers

Might get one of these for me bedroom though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Got mine today :) Big thanks to op for the heads up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

aarrrggghhh ordered mine just before you hanger18_ last Friday and no sign!!!!!! sitting in work in Dublin city center jumping on every phone call thinking this is it........hopefully the postman is delivering 1 by 1 around town....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Install problem I was getting was related to my HDD going to fail soon it seems. Anyone got a link to a well priced HDD for this (Doesn't have to be SSD)

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Install problem I was getting was related to my HDD going to fail soon it seems. Anyone got a link to a well priced HDD for this (Doesn't have to be SSD)
    Allyall posted this one earlier in the thread.

Not sure about delivery but there should be other options on Amazon around the £25.

invest4deepvalue.com

For anyone not wanting to mess with DNS settings and Static IP's etc to get their add-ons working again (Which it didn't for me anyway), found this which worked for me. Posted by XMBC Forum Mod Artrafael:
    Quite a few threads on this subject in the past week since Frodo went "gold".

System/Settings > Add-ons > Get Add-ons. Highlight a repository and open its context menu ("c" on keyboard or right mouse click) and select "Force refresh". Rinse and repeat for any other repositories you have installed. May have to wait a bit for everything to show up.

The first 3 MC001's I set up were fine wrt add-ons from the getgo and the add-ons were still working fine on those machines today. However, when I got around to doing the last one this afternoon, I couldn't get the transparency skin as its downloaded from the add-on section and there were no addons displaying at all.

Quick question, anyone know if the thermal pads used inside our MC001's have any adhesive properties. I ask because I was holding one and looked in through the vents on the back panel and can see that the Aluminium side panel was not touching the CPU/GPU heatsink or mosfet heatsink.

I pressed down on the panel and it stuck to the pads for a few seconds but pulled away again.

What I mean to say is, is it worth my while running the unit on its side to generate some heat in the unit with a heavy book on the side panel to keep the alu panel in contact with the thermal pad till it bonds?? ie. Will it ever bond??

I've no experience with thermal pads except when scraping them of the odd old CPU in the past and replacing with a good thermal paste.

Maybe take off the side panel and bend it slightly with your hands so that it bows in and is always in contact with the pads?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

hi,
    I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I recieved the mc001 last night installed the beta version of openelec and that seemed to load o.k. (hdd installation)
    I am trying now to setup the network storage and dvb tuners but unfortunately I cant see the network. I am again new to xbmc and linux but When I look a little closer into openelec I cant see the mac address. I am now wondering if any of the network (lan or Wlan) or the tuner ias installed.
    Is there any way to get a step by step guide to getting this or openelec up and running.
    One last question. How do you know what type of xbmc is installed with openelec 2.0. Or should I go as others have and install xbmc frodo ontop of openelec.

Apologies if I sound not the brightest here.

Best Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

hi,
    I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I recieved the mc001 last night installed the beta version of openelec and that seemed to load o.k. (hdd installation)
    I am trying now to setup the network storage and dvb tuners but unfortunately I cant see the network. I am again new to xbmc and linux but When I look a little closer into openelec I cant see the mac address. I am now wondering if any of the network (lan or Wlan) or the tuner ias installed.
    Is there any way to get a step by step guide to getting this or openelec up and running.
    One last question. How do you know what type of xbmc is installed with openelec 2.0. Or should I go as others have and install xbmc frodo ontop of openelec.

Apologies if I sound not the brightest here.

Best Regards

Maybe use XBMCbuntu Frodo until OpenELEC 3 final is out?

Advertisement