Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hi. Managed to get vu + add on to work with the alien2 on enigma hdmu. It streams terrestrial television no problems. It however doesn't stream satellite s2 from sky. I can't stream either from vlc on windows. Am I missing a file access or permissions or codec.[QUOTE/]

I don't have this problem with the arctic running openelec (arctic build) it plays both terrestrial and sat channels fine.
    the problem with the raspberry pi is delinitely a codec issue because it dosn't have a mpeg2 decoding licence. the arctic and vlc should play the streams so i guess it must be something to do with the stb. not sure what though.Might be some thing to do with sky, try taking out the card and just streaming normal free to air channels, if that works it could be the way sky broadcast their channels.

I've the Vu streaming perfectly to a Raspberry PI with sky channels and all fine. I'm running Raspbmc though and there it's really easy to input the mpeg2 license. Using the Vu+ add-on in the PVR respository. Without the mpeg2 license all i got were the hd channels and the sd ones without sound. Would double check the mpeg2 license part.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

MOH wrote: »
    The XBMC version is back on sale direct from Arctic for €199, with 2GB RAM, Openelec pre installed, 1TB HDD and a remote. That's including shipping from Germany, and VAT.

The barebones version is also there for USD130, but that doesn't include shipping, and you may be hit for VAT on the way in.

[edit] Sorry, I'm an idiot, they're both marked as currently unavailable. Although the one I ordered 3 weeks ago just shipped this morning, so they may have more stock on the way soon.
    Do-more wrote: »
    I don't think so, I read on XBMC.org that one guy had his money refunded as the barebones unit that was to be shipped to him was faulty when tested prior to despatch and they didn't have anymore left.

The barebones + DVD model is still listed as available on Amazon.co.uk but is only for delivery to the UK. However this is being despatched from Arctic GmbH in Germany so I see no reason why it couldn't be delivered to Ireland.

You could try emailing Arctic GmbH via Amazon to enquire. From a conversation I had with them before I think they could arrange something for you but you will have to pay them direct by bank transfer as they won't be able to process the order via Amazon.

Or you could ask them if they can change the Amazon.co.uk listing so that it allows despatch to Ireland. The model that is listed has a "GB" model code I would guess the only difference is that it is bundled with a 3 pin power lead.

Parcel motel is your other option.

Thanks for the help, not sure what to do now. Dont really need it but curious to see what its like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

stylie wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, not sure what to do now. Dont really need it but curious to see what its like :)

someone on here was selling one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I've the Vu streaming perfectly to a Raspberry PI with sky channels and all fine. I'm running Raspbmc though and there it's really easy to input the mpeg2 license. Using the Vu+ add-on in the PVR respository. Without the mpeg2 license all i got were the hd channels and the sd ones without sound. Would double check the mpeg2 license part.
    Thanks for the reply. I opened the permissions to all directories from root on the alien 2 box and it opened some free to air channels.but only a few. I wonder is there a limit to open channels for streaming on the hdnu enigma image. Also no hd channels.
    I'll keep plodding along with it.

Prob need to start a new thread for that issue as its not related to Arctic

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jacksonn72

Hi all

Has anyone ordered one of these off the arctic.ac website itself rather then Amazon?

I need one in a hurry as I am totally fed up of the ATV2 crashing constantly and the rejailbreaking over and over again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

jacksonn72 wrote: »
    Hi all

Has anyone ordered one of these off the arctic.ac website itself rather then Amazon?

I need one in a hurry as I am totally fed up of the ATV2 crashing constantly and the rejailbreaking over and over again.

Thanks

I got the EU XBMC one off Arctic. Took 3 weeks to ship as they were low on stock after Chinese new year. Got an e-mail Monday saying it had shipped, when I checked the tracking number it had actually shipped Thursday evening, arrived Tuesday morning. That one is shipped from Germany though, think the barebones comes from China, so could be a lot slower/hit for tax.

It is really quiet, as people have said. Although there's an occasional "chirping" which I think is the HDD. Was pretty easy to get set up, networked, etc even using the remote only as I don't have a USB keyboard. And I'm completely new to XBMC. Boots in seconds too.

Only issue I've found so far is some sound distortion at times, not sure if it's particular files or a more general issue. It's a slight stuttering that comes and goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Could be a wireless buffering issue but could be a bug in the Arctic specific build of Openelec. They're actively working on the bugs at Openelec. Some glitches are because of a slightly different hardware revision of the ati cards in the arctics, some bugs are from XBMC's end and are out of Openelecs control until the XBMC developers sort them.

I'm certainly not stressing about them myself at the moment. They'll be fixed soon enough and even if I have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks for glitch/bug free video playback, I can't complain. Openelec is great, actively developed and fixed and these arctics were a stonking bargain. I can wait a little while longer to go from near perfection to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I picked up my SSD on adverts for €30, will hopefully get a chance to install it this evening.

I also made a start at the central MYSQL server, its not that complicated actually. The instructions on the XBMC wiki are really good (so far :) )

Also my xbox media remote (that i got with my €10 HDDVD drive.. that thing just pays for itself!) seems to work great out of the box with openelec , I was able to navigate the menus perfectly with it anyways.

Calibos wrote: »
    Openelec is great, actively developed and fixed and these arctics were a stonking bargain. I can wait a little while longer to go from near perfection to perfection.

Yes OpenElec is excellent software and it's worth remembering that its all done for free by enthusiasts, donations are welcome and in fact much needed for server costs etc. Same goes for XBMC.

If anyone is experiencing issues, they'll get fixed a lot quicker if you can file bug reports on github...although only do it if you're fairly computer literate, able to post logs and actively help with the troubleshooting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I picked up my SSD on adverts for €30, will hopefully get a chance to install it this evening.

I also made a start at the central MYSQL server, its not that complicated actually. The instructions on the XBMC wiki are really good (so far :) )

Also my xbox media remote (that i got with my €10 HDDVD drive.. that thing just pays for itself!) seems to work great out of the box with openelec , I was able to navigate the menus perfectly with it anyways.

Which xbox media remote? and links or pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Hi all

Thanks

You could also have a look at the new Intel NUC with the Celeron chip, it's not wildly more expensive than the Arctic.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

RC5. (2.99.5) is out for everyone's information

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

You could also have a look at the new Intel NUC with the Celeron chip, it's not wildly more expensive than the Arctic.

I wonder what the next Arctic alternative flavor of the month box will be...hmm..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

m8 wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQomHQ1R3TWvNJE5KlqgOsTmTv8VbCerSrHx8qJBwEC9wCmzQ4v

I use this... Worked straight away with no set-up...only thing is that it turns on the xbox aswell (but its just unplugged now when not in use)

JHet wrote: »
    I wonder what the next Arctic alternative flavor of the month box will be...hmm..... :rolleyes:
    Some people like the Lenovo Q190 but it's about £250 fully built and seems to have a noisy fan.

Adding RAM and a small SSD to the Celeron NUC brings the price to around £200 or you could do without the SSD and boot OpenElec off a USB drive and keep the price at around £160. The NUC of course also has a fan but it doesn't appear to be intrusive. If it really bothers you there are passive cooling cases available for it but they are pricey at around £100.

The Ouya is due to launch in June (for around €150 inc. taxes?) so no doubt it will be the flavour of the month then as XBMC performance has been demonstrated to be very good on the early release developers model.

There is also the prospect of various other quad core ARM based devices hitting the market in the next few months.

The one one thing you can be sure of is the market never stays still!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

m8 wrote: »

Any MS MCE remote (RC6 protocol) should work with the Arctic straight out of the box. I've bought 4 of these remotes 6.56 euro each. Two for my Arctic MC001's and two for other HTPCs. They are a nice size, well built and a nice weight, delivery was 15 days. There are cheaper remotes on ebay (a euro or two cheaper) but I prefer non-branded remote with no logo's Dell, HP etc. That one does look well sitting beside the Artic :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The NUC of course also has a fan but it doesn't appear to be intrusive. I

I have an i3 NUC and the fan is inaudible.

I have an i3 NUC and the fan is inaudible.

hi again lads, where is the best place to buy the NUC device, I've seen them on ebay for minimum of €300 which seems significantly more then the prices you have outlined?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

neacy69 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQomHQ1R3TWvNJE5KlqgOsTmTv8VbCerSrHx8qJBwEC9wCmzQ4v

I use this... Worked straight away with no set-up...only thing is that it turns on the xbox aswell (but its just unplugged now when not in use)

Mine actually looks like this (The bigger one, but in english :) )

hi again lads, where is the best place to buy the NUC device, I've seen them on ebay for minimum of €300 which seems significantly more then the prices you have outlined?

Cheers

Here is the Celeron NUC on Dabs for £144 (I could have sworn I saw it at £139 a few days ago).

If you search for the model code BOXDCCP847DYE you should find other sellers but any I can find at the moment are all at £144.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

hey folks, finally collected mine from the post office yesterday. installed openelec. Anyone else having problems connecting outside your LAN? I have 2 machines, one connected by Eth, one to my WLAN. Can see my NAS OK but can't connect to the net for the scrapers.

Oh, also, did ye get remotes with yours? I got one of the original batch for my sister and it didn't come with one but my two did. Sweet! :)

Oh, also, did ye get remotes with yours? I got one of the original batch for my sister and it didn't come with one but my two did. Sweet! :)
    Which remotes did you get?

The older type one with the more rounded bottom something like this:

518TaDtCenL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or the newer version like this?

31YMkFsWppL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I picked up an XBOX 360 remote from Ebay for £2.50 delivered it hasn't arrived yet and is most certainly a copy but hopefully it will do the trick.

invest4deepvalue.com

I got the newer one with mine.

I'm getting sound distortion on everything now, both .avis and streamed stuff. It's intermittent so hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't happening when I first set it up, although it is now happening on the same avi and stream that I initially tested on.

I *think* all I've done since is install some addons. Although under the OpenElec settings, system update is set to auto, so it's possible something auto updated (current version is showing as devel-20130118171912-r12975).
    I've also mucked around with the audio settings so much at this stage I've no idea what the original ones were.

I don't think it's the TV, it's a bit old but I've been playing the same files before from a Patriot mediaplayer through HDMI without any issue.

If anyone's got the Arctic MC001-XBMC version, I'd appreciate details of what the original audio settings are, and also if you're got any sound distortion.

I have decided to go for the Intel NUC

Dabs have everything apart from the wireless card... Anyone any ideas where to get it? Ebay sellers all US based. Surely someone in Ireland stocks it? Its the Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Thanks again, fantastic thread this :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Dabs have everything apart from the wireless card... Anyone any ideas where to get it? Ebay sellers all US based. Surely someone in Ireland stocks it? Its the Centrino Advanced-N 6235

http://www.pinnaclemicrogb.co.uk/newcart/search.php?cc=GBP&g=6235AN.HMWWB&m=Intel+Corporation

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel%C2%AE-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B004PG08SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363364947&sr=8-1

http://www.deep-signal.com/intel-centrino-advanced-n-6235---network-adapter
    wireless-wifi-link-6235
    6235anhmwwb-139672-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Elara expect to have stock on the 26th

Why no buy through Amazon?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'm getting sound distortion on everything now, both .avis and streamed stuff. It's intermittent so hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't happening when I first set it up, although it is now happening on the same avi and stream that I initially tested on.

If anyone's got the Arctic MC001-XBMC version, I'd appreciate details of what the original audio settings are, and also if you're got any sound distortion.

All the changes that you make in the GUI (ie toggling audio settings etc) are stored in the guisettings.xml file in the userdata folder. Delete that file if you want to reset to default (access it from a Windows machine). It only affects settings you have changed in the GUI.

Although it shouldn't be necessary, the available audio settings are pretty limited and self explanatory.

There's only two settings pages that should affect audio, one is under Video>Playback, and the other is under System>Audio Output.

• Advertisement

I got the newer one with mine.
    Yes but you bought the OpenElec Limited edition bundle that included a remote.

If I'm not mistaken TheIrishGrover bought two barebones units and got remotes as a bonus.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement