Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Pakistan. 2 ODIs in May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Goooo Kev, back to back boundaries

1 big over please Kev

Probably a little too much to do for the final over

Come on Trent....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Tie. Fine result! Well done lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

That will feckin do me!

Ireland finish 275/5 chasing 276 to win. No tie as the target was adjusted due to D/L.

Agonising

Edit - no its a tie. Misled by the stream

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

What a super little team we have. KoB was superb. Can't wait to be there Sunday!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Stevecw wrote: »
    Stirling gone now too. We'll prob run them close but fall just short.

Didn't realise how close we'd come to a win when I posted that. So so near to a win that would have got so much attention for Irish cricket.
    Almost 12,000 were watching that on youtube at the end.

A tie, will take that as I was sure we'd lost!!

Saeed Ajmal the scourge of England finishes with 0/71 off ten!!! Brilliant from the lads!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Fantastic result, that's made my evening. Top class performance by the lads.

A great result, but I feel they will have a lot of regrets about that and feel its one that got away. Let slip a good position bowling early on and some late shakeyness with the bat also.

Still it was a game they could have lost easily and a tie against a full member nation never to be sniffed at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was convinced we'd lost, then discovered we'd scored more, then found out it is a tie

KevIRL wrote: »
    A great result, but I feel they will have a lot of regrets about that and feel its one that got away. Let slip a good position bowling early on and some late shakeyness with the bat also.

Still it was a game they could have lost easily and a tie against a full member nation never to be sniffed at

Not sure about promoting Johnston ahead of White. Why pick White if you don't trust his batting.

Shows how far Irish cricket has come that a tie with a test nation is disappointing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I suppose its all part of the learning process of playing against the top tier nations. How many times have Ireland found themselves in such a position in recent years? These games are their weight in gold. Any mistake is punished, one or two bad overs and the game moves away from you. Playing the associate teams we can usually have enough quality to get away with it even when not at 100%.

Roll on Sunday and hopefully we can show what we can do there as well.

Pakistan won the toss and decided to bat
    Pakistan Innings 266 for 5 (47.0 overs)
    Ireland Innings 275 for 5 (47.0 overs)

Result

Ireland tied with Pakistan

Go home Duckworth/Lewis, you're drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How can you even begin to make sense of the Duckworth Lewis nonsense? Pakistan get 266 for 5 off 47 overs. Ireland get 275 for 5 off 47 overs, but it's a tie? And if Ireland had scored 274 for 5 off 47 overs they would have lost.

How can you even begin to make sense of the Duckworth Lewis nonsense? Pakistan get 266 for 5 off 47 overs. Ireland get 275 for 5 off 47 overs, but it's a tie? And if Ireland had scored 274 for 5 off 47 overs they would have lost.

To be fair when Pakistan started their overs they believed they had 50 overs, and are entitled to some form of adjustment. It is one of those things though, that pickles the noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I turned off the live stream after the last ball believing we had lost. Nice surprise to come back two hours later and hear it was a draw!

I wonder if people at the game had a better idea what was going on? Ah well, a great game and hopefully Ireland can go one better on Sunday.

PS The Six One News on RTE1 never mentioned the game at all during their Sports News, poor form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Sitting right where he's Fielding

I think you were sitting quite close to me then, he was fielding in front of us for most of the innings.

The fielding from Ireland was unusually sloppy, and the mistakes made are amplified by the result. A tie against a full member is a good thing, but it was in our hands to win it.

D/L adjusts the total to account for interruptions - but it normally makes more sense that that. It's usual to adjust the total upwards when the first innings is interrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

TrueDub wrote: »
    The fielding from Ireland was unusually sloppy, and the mistakes made are amplified by the result. A tie against a full member is a good thing, but it was in our hands to win it.

D/L adjusts the total to account for interruptions - but it normally makes more sense that that. It's usual to adjust the total upwards when the first innings is interrupted.

I agree with the fielding. I know that it was slippy but we were not as sharp as we usually are.

The D/L total makes more sense when you factor the stop-start basis of the Pakistan innings...but if rain delayed any of the Irish innings, God only knows what would the total be.

Overall, it is a sensational result for Ireland, to score 250+ in a full ODI against a Test playing nation is always a great performance.

Anyone notice how tall the opening bowler is for Pakistan. He must be at least 7 feet tall. (sorry if this has been discussed already.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

What a super little team we have. KoB was superb. Can't wait to be there Sunday!!!1

He was visually very disappointed with his bowling but what a batsman.

HonalD wrote: »

Anyone notice how tall the opening bowler is for Pakistan. He must be at least 7 feet tall. (sorry if this has been discussed already.)

A giant of a man, all the funnier when he didnt get up in time for a catch he should have taken easily

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

HonalD wrote: »
    He was visually very disappointed with his bowling but what a batsman.

It was poor, especially by his own high standards.
    A giant of a man, all the funnier when he didnt get up in time for a catch he should have taken easily

He fielded like a giraffe on roller skates.

Skid X wrote: »
    I turned off the live stream after the last ball believing we had lost. Nice surprise to come back two hours later and hear it was a draw!

To be accurate, it was a tie, not a draw. In cricket a draw is when one side has not completed it's allocation of play, and so no result is possible. A tie is when both team have completed their allocation of play and the scores are level.
    Skid X wrote: »
    I wonder if people at the game had a better idea what was going on?

Only a little - the announcements were ok, but the giant scoreboard was wrong from the very start of the second innnings. This was a very poor show from the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mohammed Irfan, standing at 7 foot 1. In all photos I took of him he's miles above most of the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

If Ireland had won today they'd have been 8 points in the world rankings behind Zimbabwe with a chance to jump ahead of them. May have a possibility of going above them if we pull a win out of the bag on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dont know a huge amount cricket......however I travelled through India and Pakistan during a world cup and am keenly aware of how popular the sports are in those countries.

How is Ireland able to compete with these countries?

The playing population here cant be more than six or seven thousand? Am I wrong?

The playing population in Pakistan could be......several million?

How are we taking on these guys?

Guys, that was a brilliant day, apart from the freezing cold. Jaysis, the three days previous were belters, then that!

Anyway, amazing to see Ireland get a tie against the Pakistanis, in those circumstances, well worth the €20 entrance fee, and my wife is already on at me to get tickets for the England game.

The crowd of people from Asia were also brilliant, we were sitting beside an older man and his family, and were speaking to him about who he thought would win, he almost had to whisper he was supporting Ireland, because he was from India :D

It was disappointing that the D/L wasn't explained properly, but that's something that comes with experience of going to games I suppose, looking back It's probably only right that they got credit for an interrupted innings, but they got a SIX first ball after one of the breaks.

@TrueDub, we were sat in the bigger stand at the City End, where Irfan started his fielding, as the innings wore on he ended up down at Killester. I had on a "Cricket Ireland" wide brimmed trilby hat.

If there's tickets left for Sunday, everyone should try to get down for the game, I'm working so can't go.

• Advertisement

I think Sterling nicked one behind and was caught, umpire didn't give it
    Guys on the stream were pretty certain he didnt nick it fwiw

Just on this, it was early on in the innings, I'm still convinced I heard a nick.

Advertisement