Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Theres a very large temperature sign at spoonys fish and chip place down at the beach that read 23 degrees around 5pm.....i thought it was actually hotter .....the met eireann app was saying highs of 17 today this morning before we left....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Streetside signs are notoriously unreliable due to excess heat from the heated sensor box, walls, road, etc.

Shannon Airport hit 21.5. Ballysallagh 21.1. Carron (Burren, and closest to Lahinch) hit 18.3. Mace Head 17.9, Valentia 18.7.

I seriously doubt Lahinch got to 23. I would suggest that their forecast of 19 (more reliable than the app) was pretty much bang on the money. I think your abuse of them is unwarranted and fairly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

FFS, you're actually saying that you are quoting the temperature based on a non-approved (assuming but I'd put a large wager on it) sign at the side of the road/stuck onto a building???? Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Met.ie Radar hasn't updated in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Old site finally gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The old site is still there but last update was 8.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Updated to 3.15pm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

From the 23rd until the 25th the new north runway will be closed for weather sensor installation, I wonder if it's a new weather station on the north side of the airport, can't be anemometers as they are already installed.

NOTAM A2708/22: Dublin Airport (EIDW)

A2708/22 NOTAMN

Q) EISN/QMRLC/IV/NBO/A /000/999/5325N00616W005

A) EIDW B) 2211231300 C) 2211251900

D) DAILY 1300-1900

E) RWY 10L/28R CLSD WEATHER SENSOR INSTALLATION WORKS

CREATED: 18 Nov 2022 14:12:00

SOURCE: EUECYIYN

I wonder is it an ACS going in there? As far as I know the existing station is manually read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

not sure how that works exactly. I presume the met station is one of the ME TUSCON stations but the data is entered manually to the ATC system. ATC systems are completely isolated from networks but TUSCON stations (which are not completely isolated) don't normally have a local data output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

That runway would be closed then anyway given it presently ceases operations after 13:00 daily

• Registered Users Posts: 23,621 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looking at the forecasts before and after the RTE news there was quite a variation in the temperatures forecast for tonight. Why this inconsistency for forecasts broadcast just over half an hour apart. Presumably the post news one is the "better" of the two as it is newer and delivered by a meterologist? However the average person watching these forecasts cannot be expected to know who is a meteorologist and who isn't.

Not an exact science and forecasts get updated but still, if someone is in the Leitrim Cavan area there is quite a difference between forecast temperatures of -7 and -4

Edit: 3 hours later after the 9 o'clock news there are more differences. Leitrim Cavan temp graphic now -8 having been -4 in the previous forecast (also by Siobhan) and -7 in the one before that.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads, what's up with the Met E website recently? At 8.30am today for Cork city it showed it to be cloudy but dry, -1c with sleet and snow forecast for later. In reality, it was then 9c on my weather station (and others) it was pouring rain with precisely no chance of snow. And it's been like that all week. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To illustrate post above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

1 o'clock news now has just shown the 5 day charts at the end, 25/23/23/23/21c for the next 5 days, pathetic stuff whoever is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

Saw that. Hilarious. You’d think they would have someone to double check before it goes out on tv. He/she must have got the whole Christmas off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

they've removed the evidence from the RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

The RTE player forecast tends to end before the 5 day slate appears so I wouldn't be too suspicious of RTE having done anything to cover up the error.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I would like to second this fluff up.

I nearly spat out my turkey curry😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Saw that too. One of those rare wtf moments... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Thought I was losing my mind/seeing things or maybe a poltergeist had entered the TV. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Amazing how this sort of thing happens. Does no-one in ME check, even take a glance at the graphic before it goes on air for all to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Happened again tonight after the 6 news they showed next Tuesdays chart when it should have been tomorrow's chart for Friday which she was telling us about but Tuesday popped up

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Can anyone confirm if the weather warnings on Met Eireann's mobile app still send push notifications or not?

I haven't received any in months even though they are set up correctly, have latest version of app, notifications are on, etc. Same issue on Apple and Android phones I've tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I haven't gotten any on my usual android phone either, but pulled out an old one and switched it on and they all came through. Older version of Android on it. Not sure how or why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Advertisement