Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I knew there was something wrong 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not sure if ever mentioned but does anyone else find the Visual VS b+w IR quite different. The visual doesn't show 1/2 the cloud cover and is quite deceptive. Often enough it's looks like it should be completly clear out if I go by the visual but if I look at b+w IR there is a noticable amount of cloud which is confirmed when i go out and look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Get into Met HQ - This 35 minute tour is pre-book only and booking opens 14 September

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

They very often are different as the Visual and Infrared are looking at different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doralives

I'm drafting a letter to Eoin Moran, supposed head of ME, in respect of his delay in warning those in Ireland who aren't weather nerds, and therefore don't spend their time drooling over charts every 6 hours for 9 days out from a storm, that he was grossly and wilfully negligent in his role during the past 48-72 hours where warnings re 'Agnes' are concerned. If you 'believe' in anthropogenic-induced 'climate change' that's your choice, in the same way as it's mine to have views contrary to yours. 'Denier, Denier, crucify him' is usually the cry. Last time I checked we lived in a democracy, but some people seem to get a kick out of silencing anything and anyone that voices anything contrary to their worldview. Lets see how long this post stays up before a mod deletes it without any other reason than 'you've been warned'.

'Mr. Moran,

With respect to your recent appointment as 2nd vice president to the UN-funded World Meteorological Organisation and the appointment of Keith Lambkin as Head of Climate Services at Met Eireann, not to mention your position as chair of EUMETSAT, is it not unreasonable to expect that the quality of the forecasting in Met Eireann be of a standard sufficient to give ample warning to the people of Ireland of severe weather events, or is there an anthropogenic-induced climate change narrative being pushed by the aforementioned organisations that takes precedence over saving lives, to provide minimum notification to ensure maximum damage, thereby furthering the 'climate change' narrative and providing justification for more taxes and more government 'controls' to 'combat it'?

Sincerely etc etc'

What do you think? Too close to the bone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here's what I think (in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice)......

A) You might consider some paragraphs, and the odd full stop here and there. One sentence for your entire letter/question does not make for easy comprehension.

B) You've fallen foul of a double negative, I don't think the overall sentence/letter means what you think it means.

C) What does it all mean? What is a "anthropogenic-induced climate change narrative" when it's at home???

D) Whose bone?

Also, why "supposed head of ME"? Eoin Doran is Director of Met Eireann, what's supposed about that?

And to address what I think might be the overall point of your letter/essay/sentence/diatribe (although as I say it's a bit hard to tell) - I've been listening to warnings and updates for the last week about Agnes, the track it might take and the impact it would have on various parts of the country. All being narrowed down and clarified as the system neared the country and they were surer about its track.

Did you not hear them? Were you surprised when the storm hit today, or something?

If you were paying attention to the 'Agnes' thread you'd be clear on the points I've been making. I'm not in the habit of repeating of myself.

Eoin Doran is not the supposed director of Met Eireann. Eoin Moran is, seeing as you love the bit of nit picking.

I haven't been reading the "Agnes" thread. Yet I still knew all about the storm coming. Hence my puzzlement at your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We won't do your work for you (and your posts on the Agnes thread are remarkably content free.) So, why not enlighten us to exactly what the point is you're trying to make? You seem to be another one of the CT types that rereg and show up here looking for conspiracies that don't exist.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have deleted a number of posts. Doralives - as per other thread, you have made your point and your responses to other posters is not acceptable in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Fine stretch in the evening.

Joanna Donnelly on Radio1 now talking about her new book

The Sea Area Forecast is broadcast daily on RTÉ radio at 6 a.m. and midnight. Foretelling fair days or fierce storms coming in across our seas, it has become a national institution – its hypnotic, rhythmic language as reassuring as the Angelus. Acting as a gentle morning wake-up call and a soothing bedtime lullaby, it transports us to faraway places and describes weather patterns we can’t comprehend. From Mizen Head to Malin, Valentia to Loop Head, and Carlingford Lough to Hook Head – rising or falling slowly, backing south-east to north-east or veering south-to-south-west – it has a unique language all of its own, but what does it all mean?

Here, meteorologist Joanna Donnelly takes readers on a journey around Ireland’s Sea Area Forecast, visiting the places that are a familiar part of the daily broadcast and explaining its unique history, language and science.

Post edited by zell12 on

I miss the days when the Sea Area Forecast as broadcast on radio was basically the only source of that information, and they read it out at a slow steady pace so that you could take it down in writing. Now THAT was hypnotic, rhythmic and soothing!

These days they just rattle through it like time is money (which it is, in fairness) - no need to pace it, given there are a hundred other sources of that exact forecast in writing.

The Coastguard on marine radio is still a throwback to the nice, measured reading of the forecast, as obviously they in some instances may literally be the only source, and they allow time to absorb/transcribe.

Ahhhh, the good old days!

(ETA - I missed the interview, thanks for flagging it, must catch it on playback)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

met.ie automated forecast has gone a bit crazy again, southerly winds tomorrow and temps of 20c. Maybe Laois is getting a unique microclimate tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Today is a perfect example of what is wrong with our warning system in my opinion. County wide warnings are nonsensical as localised variations do occur such as the rain in Cork. Parts of Cork have more than met red level criteria for rain in the past 36 hours whilst others have certainly not. The way the UK Met do it is way better with regions.

The other thing is floods. The warning is purely for rain. It's 2023 and we still don't have a flood warning system in action. It's a necessity for planning. With warmer air holding more moisture and therefore increased risk of flooding along with buildings being built on floodplains, why is this not a top priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I remember when they started building a new housing estate in Claregalway right beside the river Clare in the 90s. A friend of mine who worked in the council was driving by and immediately went into the builders to tell them they were building on land that often flooded. They told him they knew that and kinda laughed. He then brought it up in the Galway CoCo itself and was promptly told to keep it to himself. A few years later, the river flooded very badly and many houses were destroyed. Since then they have been dredging the river and building up some banks but it will guarantee flood again. Heads should have rolled for that mess but not a chance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

On the met.ie homepage I would click on a point on the map and it would show the weather icons for that location above and show the regional forecast for that provence. Today when I click on the map it navigates to https://www.met.ie/full-screen-maps

Have they changed it or am I missing something?

+1

The county wide system simply isn’t fit for purpose and ME needs to upgrade to something like what the Met Office has. Cork is the largest county and Louth is the smallest but even allowing for that, Monday nights rain was a North Louth event only (plus parts of SE NI too). The Met Office had an amber warning out for that part of NI btw.

Just heard Alan O’Reilly of Carlow Weather on Newstalk and he said that ME releases more detailed forecasts to the county councils. He was wondering why these weren’t released to the general public too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dunno tbh. Alan O’Reilly didn’t say anything about cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Bit of a difference on Sundays forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

For about 6 months now there is wierd glitch on the Met E website that it appears to think that we in Cork are about 12 time zones different to the rest of the country (insert your own joke here.....). In this regard it constantly shows the moon emblem for day time weather in Cork instead of the sun. I attach for example the weather forecasts respectively for Cork and Dublin tomorrow. I've posted about this before. Are they ever going to fix this?

Looks like Netweather are not using the new radar at Shannon. Did they use the old one?

The radar hasn't updated since 20:00.

• Advertisement

This massively over-hyped anthropomorphised (because psychology loike) 'Storm Debi' was brought to you by today's sponsors; the UN World Meteorological Organisation, EUMETSAT, and Met Eireann, with special thanks to Eoin Moran (supposed 'Head' of ME) and Keith Lambkin (actual Head of Climate Hysteria in ME), and all the nodding heads in ME trying to keep their jobs, God bless them all, for they too have families to feed and Netflix subscriptions to keep up with. Please petition Lettuce-Head Ryan to raise carbon taxes further so he can make the weather 'gooder'. Happy Serf'ing!

Advertisement