Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was looking at the radar last night and could not believe that ME did not issue a warning a child would have seen what was happening looking at the radar and given some warning about flooding. They let a lot of people down last in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Standard Met Eireann....they have red warnings for abit of wind or warnings for a sunny day...

When you actually need them......

Nowhere.....useless, up there with RTE.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

They forecast thundery downpours for the N and W, and that's what transpired. What more do you want? It's impossible to pinpoint exactly where a shower will hit. Anyone in the N or W with half a brain would see that there was a chance of getting caught in a thundery downpour. Have people lost the ability to read a forecast for themselves, even if it doesn't come with a colour code on it? A country of whingers.

Gaoth last night the whole of the North of the country was a massive area of bright red an orange color which was not scattered showers.

Coming from the diva who had a meltdown on the thread last week that the bin men were going to collect your rubbish an hour earlier during the hot day and you turned it to a rant that the country is finished so that’s very rich coming from you, the biggest hyperbolic whinger going who damns his nations fate off of a early bin collection lol

• Advertisement

People only pay attention to forecasts now if a colour goes with them. They look for time off work if it's wet, windy, snowy, frosty and now hot. I was watching four men laying paving bricks on Friday afternoon here in Sardinia and it was 36 degrees at the time, many more down at ground level with the sun beating down on them. Not a flinch from them.

I don't see much evidence of oranges and reds on the radar last night.

What was it you were saying about whinging? And what they hell does you watching 4 men working in the sun in Italy have to do with anything?

You don’t see it, well then there we have it folks. Magilligan recorded 64.4mm, It’s 1km from Donegal. I’m not sure what the hourly rate is for there but for Castlederg they recorded 30mm in 1 hour and over 40mm inside 3 hours which meets the red criteria from met Éireann.

Rain red

70mm or greater in 24 hrs

50mm or greater in 12 hrs

40mm or greater in 6 hrs

Neither of those areas are in Donegal but the heaviest rain was in East Ininshowen and NW Derry, as I said Magilligan is 1km from Donegal they were under the same conditions. Castlederg is a stones throw as well.

The met office issued a warning for the north late, M.E could have done the same or acknowledged it today but they didn’t. I wasn’t calling for a red or anything like that. What’s the point of the warning system if they don’t issue it. Once again you’re just off on a rant about shite, most people don’t follow weather boards and the warning system is in place for the general public. An exceptional amount of rain for Ireland fell in a short amount of time, no matter how much you try spin or turn in to a rant about people being thick etc etc. I just wonder how much different your comments would be if happened in Dublin, actually I don’t care.

Here we go with the Dublin v Rest of Country nonsense. The same applies to all the country. "I got all wet cos I got caught in the rain that I didn't know would fall because they didn't give me a colour and I refuse to listen to or read text forecasts". And now you acknowledge that the heaviest rain didn't even fall in Met Éireann's area of responsibility. A warning was issued by the appropriate office.

I mentioned Dublin because that’s where you live, no other reason. Now you’re trying to be twisted as you were horrendously wrong about the rain fall totals. There is no met Éireann station in the east of inishowen(certainly not beside Magilligan)that I know about to check the rainfall totals, the radar shows that area under the same conditions as Magilligan which recorded 64.4mm which is a stones throw away but at least you now admit a warning was warranted after ranting about there being no need for warnings lol. Great to see you’re enjoying your holiday.

I don't live in Dublin.

I didn't say a warning was warranted, I said it was issued.

I never mentioned rainfall totals, I showed the radar sequence that had no orange or red in it, as had been said earlier.

But go ahead and make stuff up if it pleases you. Maybe read a forecast or two the next time aswell.

• Advertisement

You keep moving the goal posts, wrapping yourself up in knots as per usual. Such misery.

It’s quite obvious that a warning should have been issued last night, the criteria was met and well exceeded. The rainfall rates were in excess of 32mm ph over eastern inishowen as per the met office radar, that’s the highest level it goes to so it may have been beyond that. Exceptional rainfall totals were recorded in Magilligan right beside Donegal. You know all this though, you just like being difficult for the sake of it.

And you tell me to read a forecast, maybe it would suit you better to read the news today, check the radar from last night and see rainfall totals before making a show of yourself . Instead of crying about bins and brining up pointless off topic nonsense about watching Italian men working in the sun.

I'm not crying about anything. You're the one who came on to complain about Met Éireann. Someone else said "the whole of the North of the country was a massive area of bright red an orange color". That is pure hyperbole, clearly not at all accurate and needs to be corrected.

I didn’t say that though did I, I said it one part of one county and the fact they didn’t mention it today when I watched the weather was poor especially when no warning was issued(I haven’t seen the weather since maybe they have now). That’s a fair criticism.

And you were complaining about the warning system(amongst millions of other things) therefore complaining about Met Éireann yourself for having such a system. You were wrong just move on. And the thread is about met Éireann if you’re triggered that much by any legitimate criticism of them, maybe stay off of it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm not triggered by Met Éireann, though I find the Yellow warning system a bit needless. I am triggered by what I increasingly see as a lazy, snowflake, granny nation that is forever on the lookout for the next National Duvet Weather Day, brought to you courtesy of the maddest extremes of Health & Safety "regulations".

Sadly I did not take a screen shot of the radar over the Northern part of the Country on Saturday Night ,however this screen shot of rain in the UK today gives you and idea of what I was looking at the Northern part was covered in a huge radar pic like this

Thanks for that Carlow Gaoth Laidir did not believe what I posted, at one stage the entire North West was covered with echo's like that

"The whole of the North of the country" is what you said. It was only part of it.

Actually you were on about the colours enough said

This is getting a bit childish now but I suppose it depends on the source of the data. Here's the Meteologix radar for the same time. In any case, both sources show that the whole of the North was not under heavy rain - whatever the colour - at the time, or at any time before or after it either. Rainfall totals back that up. With the exception of Castlederg and Magilligan's high totals, all other stations got <10 mm in 24 hours.

I'm all for reporting the weather, but when it gets exaggerated then it needs to be corrected.

</endplaygroundchildnishness>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Those radar returns are from netweather.tv and the colour scheme along with the source radars they use (think it's UKMO only) can vastly overstate the rain coverage for Ireland. For example that swipe of rain that went up over Laois in the image shown only delivered 1.1mm here despite the presence of "heavier" colours. I don't think they use Shannon/Dublin radars - or if they do the feed is getting translated wrong onto their maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can be correct as well. I'm seeing no rain on netweather for south dublin, yet it's showing on met. Seen it here in waterford the same, showing as rain on one and not on the other. It's hit an miss as to who is right or wrong. I've also seen the rain show heavy on radar and then fizzle out in 5 10 minutes.

From wow stations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It seems that the ME website has finally fixed the location issue, but the android app still is broken. But the daily forecasts seem to be still missing sometimes on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Shannon radar is down on the one day you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Almost guaranteed to break down whenever there's an imminent event of interest. What a piece of junk it is at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Good old met eireann....i got up this morning in Limerick...lovely bright day...said to the wife lets bring the young lad to Lahinch....she said "but its forecast to be only 16/17 degrees today there"....

I said.... "dont mind those clowns in met eireann, we're going"

22/23 degrees in Lahinch...a glorious day....couldnt be better for a day at the beach.....

Met Eireann are utterly useless....

I think this may explain met eireann today...

Lahinch was noticeably quieter today.....maybe they wanted to hog some of the beach for themselves.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

from 7pm to 8pm it's supposed to be sunny spells and from 8p on cloudy in waterford. From 7pm it's been raining here.

• Advertisement

How do you know it was 22-23 there? How did you measure it? The car?

They actually forecast 19 for there.

Advertisement